Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sharks - 5-4 (OT) (Brock Boeser, Hughes, Lammikko, Garland, Miller)

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
If getting a new contract for JT is an option, the guy to trade is EP. He is the player that fits any teams timeline and thus can return a specific position of need. Bo and BB will have limited suitors and lower value.

He also looks like he is constantly about to break his ankles, like uncomfortable even standing around for a faceoff.

Bo really bad play at the end.

Hamonic just let the dude shoot.

Demko 2 softies

Hughes is our best player, by far, zero discussion.

This is a terrible take..............Trade EP? No no no no no...........

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Very sluggish effort. Team will likely get beat playing like that most of the time.

Good

Lammikko - right from the start guy showed he had wheels. Looked like that is all he had. But as things have gone on has shown lot more than that. Positionally he might be the best center on the team. And he never quits in the play - always moving to the next phase. The tip in and the many screens are example. Real good two way game. Right now and looking into the future Lammikko >>>>>>>>>Horvat

Motte - range in his play is outstanding. You keep this player moving ahead.

Hughes - very little drop in his play even given the time away. Important in the win. Very good defensively and important in OT

Pettersson - effort is impressive. Not perfect and still a tendency to over stickhandle. Continue to see good signs. Thought Hoglander was contributing to better play of Pettersson and giving Pete some options. Keep that line together.

Garland - was crucial in getting some points out of this game. Brings a try this team desperately needs.

Schenn - another steady game. Puck movement remains excellent.

Bad

OEL - lots of mishandling of the puck and no good on the PP (like others). Like other defensemen hurt by poor coverage by forwards

Dickinson - chronically useless. See no hope for this player - has to one of the most ineffective players in the League. Having him and Horvat at the top killing penalties is a prescription for complete disaster. Dickinson needs to be sent out immediately and replaced by anyone. Dowling is better and likely any number of players in Abby or those who have been placed on waivers by other teams are better. Rather see Chaisson. Spending any more time on this player is just digging the hole deeper.

Horvat - awful. It has been well established that the plodding Horvat cannot kill penalties. I don't know why the present regime has to confirm this once again. He should never been out in the final moment given how terrible defensively he was during the rest of the game. Offensively he was just baggage on his line and, of course, pitiful on the PP. This player is not getting better and is completely ill suited to the speed game that the NHL has evolved into.

Pearson - another lugging around. Can be good along the boards but wasn't here. Might get something for him if you the team gets into a sell position.

Boeser - scored a nice goal but otherwise not in the play. Skating is a huge problem. You compare him to someone like Meier and you can see that he doesn't have the skating to get anything off the rush.
One of the many failures of Benning included his inability to anticipate the need for speed and high level skating moving ahead. Way too many non skaters (Horvat, Pearson, Boeser etc) in the lineup.

Others

Miller - not at his best but the talent always seems to show through. Can usually pencil in Miller for the winner.

Burroughs - one of the nicer surprises this year has been the development of this player. Yes he is fringe but even getting up to that level has been important. Likely better than Poolman at this point

Hamonic - did a good job, especially in the early going in breaking up plays. Overall looked like someone who could help the team.

Ultimately aq very messy effort and contributes to the belief that team will fall just short of the playoffs

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
a game van deseved to lose.. gave up the tying goal in the dying seconds.. luckily miller saved their butts. trade horvat extend miller. trade boeser. rutherford's comments on the defense earlier today was LMAO... dogshit besides hughes and oel.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't know why Miller would sign an extension before getting more information on what the cap is going to look like for 23/24 and beyond. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for his camp to sign an extension this summer unless it comes with a pretty substantial overpayment. I understand the camps talking to see where things are but unless management are really sure they can get an attractive extension locked down early in the summer I think you have to move him at the deadline.

Reactions: 4Twenty

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I don't know why Miller would sign an extension before getting more information on what the cap is going to look like for 23/24 and beyond. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for his camp to sign an extension this summer unless it comes with a pretty substantial overpayment. I understand the camps talking to see where things are but unless management are really sure they can get an attractive extension locked down early in the summer I think you have to move him at the deadline.
Why? Is getting one more secondary asset worth sinking the season? He is so much better than any other forward on this team. If team sucks and he shows no inkling to sign then yeh trade him. But know unless you are getting future top liner it is a trade you are going to lose. If you can sign him you trade Boeser, Horvat, Myers, Pearson, Hammer, Dickinson, Poolman. Basically you trade anyone and everyone other than Hughes, EP and Demko to make it work.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Why? Is getting one more secondary asset worth sinking the season? He is so much better than any other forward on this team. If team sucks and he shows no inkling to sign then yeh trade him. But know unless you are getting future top liner it is a trade you are going to lose. If you can sign him you trade Boeser, Horvat, Myers, Pearson, Hammer, Dickinson, Poolman. Basically you trade anyone and everyone other than Hughes, EP and Demko to make it work.

I have news for you, the season was sunk a long time ago.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu and Pip

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Is Lammikko secretly awesome?!

Lammikko just seems like a good 4th line center to me. I don't think he's got much untapped offensive potential that will start to shine when you move him up the lineup.

I like the way he plays though, and having two energy wingers seems to compliment his conservative, simple, big body style. I'd be very happy to see management keep that line together if they can do it without overpaying.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I think both Horvat and Pettersson came to camp not in the best shape they could have. I suspect (and this is just a guess) both have been unimpressed with management and haven't been as motivated in the offseason.

In addition, I really wonder how the Benning regime managed player conditioning and how that may change. It's reasonable to think there were shortcomings there as well.

I wouldn't write off either player at this stage and would expect better from them next year. Obviously Horvat, in a contract year, it's a given.

Lammiko has been a real nice find, as has Burroughs. If only they hadn't blown $5.5M on Dickinson and Poolman. Typical Benning-make a couple of nice moves that get blown out of the water by his moronic signing decisions.

Reactions: calnuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Agreed....Lammikko and Burroughs are proof positive that if your pro scouting staff is doing its job, you can find good fourth line centers and depth defenders for the league minimum.

But spending $2-3M on bottom of the roster forwards from other teams as UFA's is a recipe for cap disaster. And far too many of those guys basically cost Benning his job.

But you have to concede that when you look at the roster of the Abbotsford Canucks, the previous regime did a pretty impressive job of finding these players. I mean these guys arrived from other organizations all over NA, and have come together pretty impressively for a first year team. Not everything the previous regime did was bad.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Beat a team in turmoil, barely.

Not even Bruce can make them better.
3 years of the same, ALMOST there!

Too many "today" fans. This is the best they get, other teams ebb and flow which makes this group "look" good or bad.

Do some fans really think Rutherford likes this group? Those fans are in the minority and will be the ones demanding instant success, complain about players traded and not re-signed even though the player doesn't want to be here.

It was a win, they got 2 points, but then so did everybody they are chasing so no gains, just wasted and other "if only" game.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Strange game..Canucks looked pretty good in the first, and looked comfortably in control of the game leading 2-0, and outshooting the Sharks 14-6.
The Sharks were asleep, but after they got their first goal, they seemed to get on a roll..The Canucks left their workboots back the hotel.
Demko was mediocre (plays better when he's in rhythm of games, and can be suspect in the first game after an extended layoff)
The PP was abysmal..passes to no one in particular (how many times did they pass the puck to the point, only to find it vacant..?)..no shots on goal..Boudreau should have a chat with Jason King, and get to the bottom of why the Canucks look like the Keystone Kops on their PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad