Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Senators - 6-4 (Pettersson x 2, Miller, Edler, Benn, Horvat)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For gaudette if you believe he can deliver offense at the nhL levr probably best to have him develop that part of his game in the A. 11 points in 14 A games last season.

We know Ferland, EP, Brock, Bo, Sven, Miller, Pearson, Sutter, Beagle, Jake are on the opening day roster. That’s 10. Roussel will make 11 when he comes ltir.

So 3 forward spots left. Leivo, Motte, LE, Gaudette, Goldy, and Schaller.

LE and Schaller would clear waivers. Might lose one of the other 3 not named Gaudette. But would have enough guys in the A to call up for injury replacement.

Think Schaller is waived. Toss up with the other 5.

Gaudette has played well but he gets caught due to them not having enough C last season to leave him in the A to put up numbers like Troy Terry did for Anaheim’s farm team in SD.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Chabot is a beauty!
Will be watching him and Brannstrom.
The Senators have been a high end defenseman factory over the years. Should have hung onto Chara though! :laugh:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I agree, but I still hope Schaller gets waived. He struggles to skate with the puck, even by 12/13th forward standards, his puck-handling is bad. I’m still amazed at how he’s the same guy who scored that highlight reel goal with the Bruins a couple of years ago. The guy struggled to receive tape to tape passes at times last year.

Hopefully it was just a confidence thing since he took forever to score his first as a Canuck.
I don't really disagree. However, I don't have much of a preference when it comes to Travis fourth line winger selection. All he's going to do is give that line defensive zone starts so I could care less about their production as long as they're not bleeding goals the other way.

I care a lot about the third line, because Beagle eating those zone starts means Sutter needs to be a more productive player. But, since he's tunnel visioned, they need to have the right wingers with him.

Reactions: Nucker101

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I actually think the third line is the difference between us being a guaranteed playoff team versus us being a fringe maybe like we are right now. Goalies, defense, top six, and fourth lines don't have much variability within them. They're all known quantities.

No one knows who the hell is going to be on the third line this year and what usage they'll have. And, the third line has been bad the previous two years.

It's why I'm so strongly in favor of rolling the dice on Gaudette. His upside in terms of what he can add offensively is a lot higher than tunnel vision Sutter.

Reactions: lindgren

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I actually think the third line is the difference between us being a guaranteed playoff team versus us being a fringe maybe like we are right now. Goalies, defense, top six, and fourth lines don't have much variability within them. They're all known quantities.

No one knows who the hell is going to be on the third line this year and what usage they'll have. And, the third line has been bad the previous two years.

It's why I'm so strongly in favor of rolling the dice on Gaudette. His upside in terms of what he can add offensively is a lot higher than tunnel vision Sutter.
Then they should load up that checking line with Beagle and Sutter.
Who would gaudette center? One of Sven or Pearson who doesn’t get the final top 2 line winger spot along with any of Leivo, Jake or LE.

Sven, Gaudette, Leivo
Jake, Beagle, Sutter

Sven gives that line some speed and more creativity than Pearson would.

And whomever as the 13 F

Beagle and Sutter line would get more ice than gaudettes line even though people would call it the 4th line (in terms of offense) but not ice time.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Gaudette has played well but he gets caught due to them not having enough C last season to leave him in the A ...

I’m puzzled why the Canucks get a pass on having Gaudette in the NHL as much as he was last season.

I thought he belonged in the AHL and would best develop there last season. I further think it is counterproductive to put someone in the NHL early, then demote him the following season.

The Canucks could have recalled Sam Gagner before Gaudette. When they finally did recall Gagner, he played well, then was sent back down again while Gaudette stayed. They could have recalled Gaunce before Gaudette. When they finally did recall Gaunce, he played well, then was sent down again after a very brief time.

The Canucks could have recalled Kero. They never did.

Gaudette wasn’t in the NHL last season because the Canucks needed him to be because of injuries. He was in the NHL last season because that’s where the Canucks wanted to play him.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Then they should load up that checking line with Beagle and Sutter.
Who would gaudette center? One of Sven or Pearson who doesn’t get the final top 2 line winger spot along with any of Leivo, Jake or LE.

Sven, Gaudette, Leivo
Jake, Beagle, Sutter

Sven gives that line some speed and more creativity than Pearson would.

And whomever as the 13 F

Beagle and Sutter line would get more ice than gaudettes line even though people would call it the 4th line (in terms of offense) but not ice time.
We are of the same mindset here, mate.

Roussell - Gaudette - Leivo
Eriksson - Beagle - Sutter
Motte

Move Baertschi when Roussell is back plus one of Sutter/Virtanen.

They would never accept the optics of having a 80% d zone start 14m checking line lol.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Virtanen is as good as gone. I can’t honesty believe he showed up to camp out of shape AGAIN.

It’s been years of this shit. He’s a 10-15 goal tweener, nothing more. Time to see if we can get a decent defensive prospect for him and turn the page.

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
Virtanen is as good as gone. I can’t honesty believe he showed up to camp out of shape AGAIN.

It’s been years of this ****. He’s a 10-15 goal tweener, nothing more. Time to see if we can get a decent defensive prospect for him and turn the page.
Quit believing fake news. He's in fine shape.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
What a ghetto broadcast. Intermittent sound and low quality audio. Crappy camera.

This feels like I'm watching a Thrashers - Canucks broadcast from 1999 on VTV. Sad.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Hilarious - the most regular season quality lineup, and it's the first game that is not available on NHL Gamecenter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad