Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Senators - 6-4 (Pettersson x 2, Miller, Edler, Benn, Horvat)

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
With the caveat that it’s pre season, this looks like it’s going to be a really fun team to watch this year. The difference in the offence and PP from last seasons pre season to this one is clear. Defence is still a question mark and a work in progress but the offence has improved significantly.
Not saying we make the playoffs, but this is going to be a really fun team to watch!

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Tierny was on a mission that shift to crunch someone, he was being super aggressive with Pettersson and Boeser when they had the puck on the half wall.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
With the caveat that it’s pre season, this looks like it’s going to be a really fun team to watch this year. The difference in the offence and PP from last seasons pre season to this one is clear. Defence is still a question mark and a work in progress but the offence has improved significantly.
Not saying we make the playoffs, but this is going to be a really fun team to watch!
An improvement in special teams could make all the difference this season..The offence has a different feel to it with Miller in the mix...Miller/Horvat...Pettersson/Boeser..Solid pairings.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I’m sure it’s something good coaching staffs address. Not the same but I remember the Sharks a couple years ago against the Preds in the playoffs made a significant adjustment to the forecheck when Josi and Weber were on the ice. They tracked zone clearance/entry and control and noted Weber was having a hell of time moving the puck (passing or carrying) while Josi was ripping them apart. They concentrated the forecheck on Josi to force Weber to be the puck mover. It helped turn the tide in the series.

Which I think is easier in the playoffs because the players are more committed to doing what it takes to win. Forwards releasing too soon has been an issue for as long as I can remember in hockey,

Also the reason that a forechecking pattern is so often part of a 'system' is because it's one of the only non-passive defensive moves a coach has at their disposal.

Reactions: vanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Tierney is one of the cleanest players in the NHL who averages 12 PIM/season going back to junior and in a nearly 400-game NHL career has a total of 6 PIM for physical play - two slashing penalties and a roughing minor from a line brawl where everyone on both teams was penalized.

The players know this, know he isn’t that type of player and didn’t mean to hurt Boeser, and know he is Horvat’s best friend from junior (and most including Boeser were probably having beers with him at Horvat’s wedding). They weren’t gonna be going after him.

Reactions: Peen

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Tierney is one of the cleanest players in the NHL who averages 12 PIM/season going back to junior and in a nearly 400-game NHL career has a total of 6 PIM for physical play - two slashing penalties and a roughing minor from a line brawl where everyone on both teams was penalized.

Must be their new troll looking coach sending out goon orders then.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Going after Tierny is f***img stupid, the onus is on the league to do something about that garbage hit in a meaningless game.

But when the coach of your team is calling it a “hockey play” in the media” then you’re probably not going to see much transpire.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Schenn demonstrated what needs to be done on the ice to protect your skilled players. Vocal after whistles and getting in faces before scrums become something more. Being in position for passes so his partner can dish it off quickly, maintaining puck possession while his partner can avoid or absorb contact.

iirc, Hughes did not get any injuries in his games partnered with Schenn, and did not look to be in a vulnerable position very often, if at all.

It is clear - from both Green's comments as well management letting Schenn go - that they simply do not get it.

We already suffer from higher injury rates resulting from the grueling travel schedule, adding this approach from head coach and management does not bode well for the upcoming season. I will be surprised if either of Hughes or EP gets more than 60 games, every time Green speaks like this the targets on their backs just get bigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad