Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Senators - 6-4 (Pettersson x 2, Miller, Edler, Benn, Horvat)

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
@mossey3535 I wonder analytically if teams ever look at the correlation between forward positioning on breakout and the goals created. Like, maybe we could be wrong and having our wingers at the blueline every time has a better risk/reward than having them sit deep to cover zone exit failures.

I suspect someone has but I'm also sure that is probably proprietary data. The forwards releasing isn't usually a part of systems nowadays, it's basically playing right into the trap. This happens in the playoffs literally every year. Forwards have an instinct to get out of the zone to try to generate offence, it takes a lot of discipline to get them to be in the right place for a controlled puck support breakout.

Too often "good first pass" is code for "can still make a long low-percentage pass because the forwards are too far away already".

Reactions: DarrenX

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I'd like to see this. Hopefully, Ferland is healthy these last 2 pre-season games.

Ferland - EP - BB
Miller - Horvat - Goldobin
Pearson - Gaudette - Leivo
Virtanen - Beagle - Sutter

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Sloppy effort. PP bailed Canucks out but overall just gifting chances all night 5 on 5. Play in their zone is absolutely poor and that keeps up won't get a sniff at a playoff chance.

Good

Pettersson - not great 5 on 5 but given any space on the PP is lights out. Four points in this one.

Edler - don't see how he isn't the PP QB. Looked great there in this one. Problem in his end but a lot of that had to do with Myers. Overall strong game.

Decent

Sutter - good on the early PKs and gave some organization to his line.

Horvat - line was out for a lot of goals against but that had little to do with Bo.

Schaller - better than last year. One player who got pressure on the puck and did ok off the rush. Still in the fight for a roster spot on the 4th line. Worked fairly well with Beagle but had anchor Virtanen to drag around.

Beagle - good in the late going and overall did a good job of forechecking

Eriksson - actually made the right move with the puck all game. Got it out better than most and another who worked well on PK. Using his smarts to manage the puck well and putting the puck into good areas to create some offense and get the puck out of trouble. Coming back to zone better than last year. Never going to worth his money but can contribute if he can keep up this level of play.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Well i've seen Virtanen with some stinkers but that had to be the closest to a Eric Gudbranson special i have seen. He was actually more effective for the Senators than the Canucks by a large margin. His passes were absolutely useless and in one shift put it on Chabots stick for a chance iced the puck and shot it into the Senators bench. It was actually comical....perhaps some drinks were celebrated with friends before the game? Bush league stuff

Really am losing interest in pre season hockey. I know its a necessary evil to find timing and get up to speed but watching half assed efforts and horrific turnovers had me waning.

Pettersson didn't look like he was trying and puts up 4pts? Boeser looks noticeably quicker

I like the looks of Miller and Myers even though he does have some wtf moments.
Benn is solid

Eriksson and Schaller were ghostly with roster spots up for grabs. Maybe the strategy is to just watch Jake implode and make it by just keeping the mouth shut and not getting noticed.

Green has to fuming right now

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Sloppy effort. PP bailed Canucks out but overall just gifting chances all night 5 on 5. Play in their zone is absolutely poor and that keeps up won't get a sniff at a playoff chance.

Good

Pettersson - not great 5 on 5 but given any space on the PP is lights out. Four points in this one although still not great in 5 on 5 play.

Edler - don't see how he isn't the PP QB. Looked great there in this one. Problem in his end but a lot of that had to do with Myers. Overall strong game.

Decent

Sutter - good on the early PKs and gave some organization to his line.

Horvat - line was out for a lot of goals against but that had little to do with Bo.

Schaller - better than last year. One player who got pressure on the puck and did ok off the rush. Still in the fight for a roster spot on the 4th line. Worked fairly well with Beagle but had anchor Virtanen to drag around.

Beagle - good in the late going and overall did a good job of forechecking

Eriksson - actually made the right move the puck all game. Got it out better than most and another who worked well on PK. Using his smarts to manage the puck well and putting the puck into good areas to create some offense and get the puck out of trouble. Coming back to zone better then last year. Never going to worth his money but can contribute if he can keep up this level of play.

Hughes is a better PP1 QB by a country mile. I think on the whole Edler had a good game, but man some of those passes to Pettersson on the PP... He did technically get the puck to Petey, but you can't one time a puck if you have to take it on the backhand.

edit: to be fair, Hughes was completely invisible tonight :sarcasm:

Reactions: EP40

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I acknowledge that Edler had a bunch of points tonight, but I still think he shouldn't be PP1. The amount of times he throws the possession away (jesus let Pettersson and co work the PP!) with a low ish shot makes me want to rip my hair out

Reactions: EP40 and CanucksMJL

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Myers makes some of the most boneheaded plays I’ve ever seen since... Gudbranson. What a lug in his zone.

Reactions: xtra

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I'd rather feed Stetcher PP time than Edler. I think Edler gets a bit too much shit from the fans, but I just really like Stetcher and think he can do more.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Maybe the strategy is to just watch Jake implode and make it by just keeping the mouth shut and not getting noticed.

Green has to fuming right now

ayy lmao. For real though you'd think he'd want to give his best in his hometown. Maybe the sad truth is that Jake trying his hardest = this?

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I'd rather feed Stetcher PP time than Edler. I think Edler gets a bit too much **** from the fans, but I just really like Stetcher and think he can do more.
I love Stecher's heart. That guy is all in all the time. I foresee a career year for him this year. I also think he is the kind of guy that makes a difference in the playoffs.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Myers makes some of the most boneheaded plays I’ve ever seen since... Gudbranson. What a lug in his zone.

Just gotta hope he brings enough offense to offset it. At least we finally have some semblance of a shooting threat from the blueline.

But yah anyone suggesting a hughes-myers pairing needs to take a closer look.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
ayy lmao. For real though you'd think he'd want to give his best in his hometown. Maybe the sad truth is that Jake trying his hardest = this?
Dude probably has a stable of local puck bunnies that he needed to preserve his energy for.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Agreed. Someone needs to tell him his job is to get the puck, and then as soon as possible, pass it to a forward. I think he thinks he's a 4th forward.

Reactions: Nomobo

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Just gotta hope he brings enough offense to offset it. At least we finally have some semblance of a shooting threat from the blueline.

But yah anyone suggesting a hughes-myers pairing needs to take a closer look.

I'd been considering that myself. Now? No, just no. Myers is the one who needs Tanev to bail his ass out. Ironically I could see Quinn being the guy to bail out Myers some time down the line when Quinn has some more xp. That guy can get around the ice like nobody's business.

Reactions: bh53 and CanuckCity

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Con't

Bad

Pearson - not looking top 6. Puck movement wasn't good and coverage poor. -4 in this one.

Baertschi - did nothing. Can't seem to play in any kind of traffic. Very marginal player. Probably Levio is doing better

Ugly

Virtanen - brutal turnovers and never getting the puck out of his end. At this point doesn't deserve a roster spot. Huge disappointment

Myers - just horrible. Worst preformance of any Canuck in the pre-season or recent memory. Coughed up huge chances in his own end. At times passed into his slot for open chances. At other times passed the puck into people skates (like with Miller on one of the goals against) leading to other chances. Also can't believe the way he backs in and gives up massive room on his side for opponents to walk in on the goal. Looked very awkward handling pucks around his net and openly fanned on some of his passes. This was a worse than anything I remember out of Guddy. Benning may have totally screwed up here. Even silly announcer had to fess up that he was stinking badly.

On that same note, you have to question why Schenn wasn't signed. He worked very well (and provided protection) to Hughes. Canucks toss that away and get Fantenburg who almost instantly goes on IR.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Another thought: God, if only we re-signed Luke Schenn and we could comfortably run with something like

Edler Stecher
Myers Tanev
Hughes Schenn

That would look so good. Tanev could babysit Myers as shown he probably will need

Reactions: CanucksMJL

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Con't

Bad

Pearson - not looking top 6. Puck movement wasn't good and coverage poor. -4 in this one.

Baertschi - did nothing. Can't seem to play in any kind of traffic. Very marginal player. Probably Levio is doing better

Ugly

Virtanen - brutal turnovers and never getting the puck out of his end. At this point doesn't deserve a roster spot. Huge disappointment

Myers - just horrible. Worst preformance of any Canuck in the pre-season or recent memory. Coughed up huge chances in his own end. At times passed into his slot for open chances. At other times passed the puck into people skates (like with Miller on one of the goals against) leading to other chances. Also can't believe the way he backs in and gives up massive room on his side for opponents to walk in on the goal. Looked very awkward handling pucks around his net and openly fanned on some of his passes. This was a worse than anything I remember out of Guddy. Benning may have totally screwed up here. Even silly announcer had to fess up that he was stinking badly.

On that same note, you have to question why Schenn wasn't signed. He worked very well (and provided protection) to Hughes. Canucks toss that away and get Fantenburg who almost instantly goes on IR.

I actually liked what I saw from Baertschi (damn, that is hard to spell) tonight. I saw hustle and some slick 1v1 skill moves from a standstill. I see a guy that can make something from nothing and with his long layoff, I hope to see improvement as preseason rolls along.

Reactions: Nomobo and sting101

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Benn is better than schenn tho, so is biega tbf

That's debatable. Signed by Tampa that has one of the best scouting staffs in the league. And you are looking at much lower price point. Schenn at 750 000, if he played like the end of last year, would be great value signing. And that's especially true given the protection he could afforded a potential franchise player in Hughes.

And really the comparable here is Fantenburg. That's the player who was signed instead of Schenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad