Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Senators - 6-4 (Pettersson x 2, Miller, Edler, Benn, Horvat)

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
This hasn't been a bad game for us, but not great. Against better teams we won't get away with an effort like this. Luckily its pre-season and Ottawa has an AHL team roster.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Haven't really noticed Eriksson but noticed Virtanen? I don't know about this commentary...

Well I've noticed Virtanen turning the puck over left and right. Eriksson just hasn't really done...anything. Not what he meant of course, but still lol.

Reactions: sting101

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I don't understand how a reach around poke check that turns into a hug against the boards isn't a holding penalty.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
"...if Boeser stays down that's a 5 minute major.... and a suspension...". I for one am glad that those days appear to be over. Soon to be "Ring of Honour" inductee Alex Burrows would have stayed down...

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Pretty ugly game. Canucks were dominant for about half a period and then went to sleep while the Sens kept working. Canucks had the talent to bury some chances and Markstrom stood tall as well.

Only guy among the skaters who I really noticed in a positive way was Pettersson. Everyone else unfortunately ranged from “meh” to “bad”.

Virtanen...ugh. I’m a big fan of what he can bring and do when he’s on. But he needed a big game tonight and turned in possibly his worst one yet. It says a lot that a guy like Schaller, who lost his job last season, has come into camp and likely earned it back at the expense of Virtanen. Yes it’s nice that Schaller has seemingly remembered he’s a hockey player and is playing like it, but man, something is wrong with Jake. Perhaps a change of scenery is needed.

Our mostly NHL defense was a complete gong show tonight. Didn’t think anyone really looked good. Edler and Myers had good moments, but those were frequently sandwiched by awful ones.

All in all - it’s preseason and this is basically pond hockey. Glad our team had the skill to come out on top. But let’s get the regular season underway already.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Man are Ottawa ever going to be an absolutely awful team.

The Canucks are starting to take shape though

D are likely now set with Fantenberg in concussion protocol. Biega as the extra body. Goalies are also set.

That leaves 14 forward spots.

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Miller
Baertschi-Sutter-Leivo
Eriksson-Beagle-Motte

Then some mix of Virtanen, Schaller or Goldobin as spares until Fantenberg and Roussel are healthy.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Virtanen cruising like he potted 25 last year and is guaranteed a spot. Taking him over Duclair is a real hot take. Move him for Poolparty, let him spend the year in Finland to reset and bring him over next season. Pretty low risk, low (potentially high) reward but why not. At this point seems like its just Jimbo holding onto his first draft pick for dear life.

Reactions: bh53 and CanucksMJL

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
"...if Boeser stays down that's a 5 minute major.... and a suspension...". I for one am glad that those days appear to be over. Soon to be "Ring of Honour" inductee Alex Burrows would have stayed down...
You seem to be glad the days of winning appear to be over too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad