Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Senators - 6-4 (Pettersson x 2, Miller, Edler, Benn, Horvat)

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Sloppy effort. PP bailed Canucks out but overall just gifting chances all night 5 on 5. Play in their zone is absolutely poor and that keeps up won't get a sniff at a playoff chance.

Good

Pettersson - not great 5 on 5 but given any space on the PP is lights out. Four points in this one.

Edler - don't see how he isn't the PP QB. Looked great there in this one. Problem in his end but a lot of that had to do with Myers. Overall strong game.

Decent

Sutter - good on the early PKs and gave some organization to his line.

Horvat - line was out for a lot of goals against but that had little to do with Bo.

Schaller - better than last year. One player who got pressure on the puck and did ok off the rush. Still in the fight for a roster spot on the 4th line. Worked fairly well with Beagle but had anchor Virtanen to drag around.

Beagle - good in the late going and overall did a good job of forechecking

Eriksson - actually made the right move with the puck all game. Got it out better than most and another who worked well on PK. Using his smarts to manage the puck well and putting the puck into good areas to create some offense and get the puck out of trouble. Coming back to zone better than last year. Never going to worth his money but can contribute if he can keep up this level of play.
Excuse me?

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
If anyone thinks Tyler Motte helps you win more than Jake Virtanen, you’re completely out to lunch.

Lot of value from JV skating into the other zone and turning the puck over once every 10 minutes.

At least Motte forechecks and hits. If JV had half Motte's heart he would be a player. Unfortunately he's dumb and lazy, basically the worst combo a hockey player can have.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
ayy lmao. For real though you'd think he'd want to give his best in his hometown. Maybe the sad truth is that Jake trying his hardest = this?

Jake was going through the motions and definitely not trying hard. He should realize that he may lose his roster spot and turn up the intensity and focus.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
A sad but likely true prediction.....Tyler Myers will the blueline version of Louie Eriksson....don't say Winnipeg fans didn't warn us.
It is clear to me that Myers brings offensive tools to the table. First pass (hot damn buzz-phrases!) is good, and he can rush the puck well. He seems to have trouble when he's in the nitty-gritty of the game. When he has to respond to the play as opposed to dictating it, he panics and does dumb things.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Con't
On that same note, you have to question why Schenn wasn't signed. He worked very well (and provided protection) to Hughes. Canucks toss that away and get Fantenburg who almost instantly goes on IR.

This something I've been chimping out about all off-season. Why do you let the tough veteran who fit our young prodigy rookie like a glove walk this off-season and then sign two wild cards to fill that exact role in a player you already had that was perfect? Letting Schenn walk is yet just another Pejorative Slured Benning move.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Lot of value from JV skating into the other zone and turning the puck over once every 10 minutes.

At least Motte forechecks and hits. If JV had half Motte's heart he would be a player. Unfortunately he's dumb and lazy, basically the worst combo a hockey player can have.
Motte is f***ing terrible and objectively was one of the worst players in the league last season.

Virtanen is easily better.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's debatable. Signed by Tampa that has one of the best scouting staffs in the league. And you are looking at much lower price point. Schenn at 750 000, if he played like the end of last year, would be great value signing. And that's especially true given the protection he could afforded a potential franchise player in Hughes.

And really the comparable here is Fantenburg. That's the player who was signed instead of Schenn.

Have you seen the Dmen competing with Schenn? I don't think "one of the best scouting staffs in the league" is working their magic there. Don't be surprised if Schenn gets waived either.

Personally, I think when it comes to depth Dmen, a lot of it comes down to what you want. You're not getting a complete Dman capable of playing top 4 minutes. You can have an average Dman across the board or a Dman with particular strength or versatility. I think Schenn is what he is. There was no transformation at age 29. At his best he was/is a very good defender in his own zone. The problem is that he is slow and offers next to nothing offensively.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
This something I've been chimping out about all off-season. Why do you let the tough veteran who fit our young prodigy rookie like a glove walk this off-season and then sign two wild cards to fill that exact role in a player you already had that was perfect? Letting Schenn walk is yet just another ******ed Benning move.
I wanted Schenn back as well. I believe that we would have had to overpay to retain him considering he ended up in Tampa. Aside from the tax benefits and weather, is an awesome team that could net him a cup ring this year.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
i never wanted Schenn because we have Biega who is better and deserves to be in his role

I like Biega tremendously but I think he plays a different role from Schenn. I see Biega as a decent two-way excellent skating defenseman and I see Schenn as a gritty veteran defensive defenseman. Letting Schenn go while signing Fantenberg and Benn for more money is like giving up a boat for a mystery box in hopes of winning a boat.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
i never wanted Schenn because we have Biega who is better and deserves to be in his role
I have long given up on Biega being anything more than a typecast soldier that we don't deserve. He's (Biega) been treated like he rejected Scientology. From a merit perspective, I don't understand it, but this league has a hardon for pedigree despite what is looking you in the face.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jake was going through the motions and definitely not trying hard. He should realize that he may lose his roster spot and turn up the intensity and focus.
Jake and the Canucks both need a new beginning. Time for a trade. With Ferland here now, and Podkolzin coming, he's expendable.

Maybe he'll go somewhere and realize his potential and lofty draft position.....but pretty obvious it won't ever happen in VanCity.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Also don't say Canucks fans didn't warn us since like January.

And really not liking this whole not televising preseason games thing they're doing this year.

First it was "wait until we see him with the Canucks"
Next it will be "wait until he's played a full season"
Then it will be "he's just adjusting give him more time"

It's not like he's some unknown entity—he's a 10 year, 600GP+ NHL veteran with 235 hours of video footage.

We're already seeing everything that was setting off alarm bells when the name Myers started getting even mentioned in the same sentence as Vancouver, and should it continue, it will be yet another black mark for the Jim Benning era.

Is the meagre 30ish points going to move the needle if he provides a shaky defensive game and needs to be babysat?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I enjoyed that game...
PP looks dynamic... a lot of options for them to exploit. LOVE the Miller addition... so smart.

People will thrash Edler for failing to nail every Pettersson one time feed.. but his poise and puck movement back there holds value... and the unit scored well tonight..
Hughes-Horvat-Baertschi-Pearson- Ferland/Leivo 2nd unit should be more solid than Baertschi-Vanek as well...
Eventually Hughes will be tried on the 1st unit.. hopefully he thrives.

Markstrom I liked... solid game... blunder aside. Just had to laugh at that.

Benn breakaway!? Too funny...

Petey with a ho hum 4 pt night... beauty.

Reactions: CanuckCity

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I suspect someone has but I'm also sure that is probably proprietary data. The forwards releasing isn't usually a part of systems nowadays, it's basically playing right into the trap. This happens in the playoffs literally every year. Forwards have an instinct to get out of the zone to try to generate offence, it takes a lot of discipline to get them to be in the right place for a controlled puck support breakout.

Too often "good first pass" is code for "can still make a long low-percentage pass because the forwards are too far away already".

I’m sure it’s something good coaching staffs address. Not the same but I remember the Sharks a couple years ago against the Preds in the playoffs made a significant adjustment to the forecheck when Josi and Weber were on the ice. They tracked zone clearance/entry and control and noted Weber was having a hell of time moving the puck (passing or carrying) while Josi was ripping them apart. They concentrated the forecheck on Josi to force Weber to be the puck mover. It helped turn the tide in the series.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeah Corey, we're all running to follow you on instagram.

He's nice enough, and if I had a dog I would definitely get him to walk them while I was on vacation. I have no idea where color commentary fits in here though.

Seems a nice guy. I know he went through major struggles where he nearly ended his life (see his players journal article...actually two articles) and I commend him for dealing with those demons every day. It’s not easy. But colour commentary is just not for him.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I have long given up on Biega being anything more than a typecast soldier that we don't deserve. He's (Biega) been treated like he rejected Scientology. From a merit perspective, I don't understand it, but this league has a hardon for pedigree despite what is looking you in the face.
Totally agreed.

But Schenn is a better fit then Biega for Hughes. And Biega has to be rested every third or fourth game to remain effective.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad