Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Preds - 5-2 | De(Smith)nied | Pettersson, Aman, Hoglander, Suter, Blueger

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Also, all these wins this month are very important. They have a 7 game road trip in January that includes a back-to-back and no two-day breaks.

Blues - 5pm
Devils - 4pm
Rangers - 4pm (1st game of b2b)
Islanders - 4pm (2nd game of b2b)
Penguins - 4pm
Sabres - 1pm
Blue Jackets - 10am (this is a Monday?!)
ewwwww... that's a 3-3-1 trip if i've ever hoped for one

Reactions: Vector

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Also, all these wins this month are very important. They have a 7 game road trip in January that includes a back-to-back and no two-day breaks.

Blues - 5pm
Devils - 4pm
Rangers - 4pm (1st game of b2b)
Islanders - 4pm (2nd game of b2b)
Penguins - 4pm
Sabres - 1pm
Blue Jackets - 10am (this is a Monday?!)
Ya why the heck are we playing on a Monday morning? Not even a holiday lol.

There's a bunch of early games that day. Wierd ...

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Unlike the past basically decade, we now have players outperforming their contracts. It has been a nice piece of work by Allvin to acquire that depth outside the draft, which is not usually particularly effective. I'd add some of that is certainly attributable to coaching.

The bill comes due this offseason, though.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Strange game. Nashville had lots of possession in the Canuck end (certainly equal to ours) so maybe the score was deceptive. Yet if the Canucks had convert all their chances could have been double figures.

Good

Hughes - back to looking like his old self. Much better effort around his net and showed off his skill in the zone exits. an ply in the neutral ice

Hronek - very good at blocking and deflecting shots. Player is so quick at reacting to danger and in creating space to create space. Thought he was the best d-man

Myers - Zadorov - Myers continues to compete hard for loose pucks and is pinning people out of the play. He is not allowing players to spin away from him as he was before or trying to do too much trying to cover up for others as he has done in the past. Helps to know that Zadorov can take care of business elsewhere.

Cole - very steady game. Juulsen was mostly ok but I wouldn't want to see him with some of our d-men of the last few years. Had some tough shifts in the second but going to body well

Pettersson - skill showing in this game but still not converting chances like you think he can. Too bad Kuzmenko's game has fallen off so badly since Pettersson needs some better talent on his wings.

Di Guiseppe - best game in a long while. Was reunited with Miller for a bit and hopefully that line can regain some of the chemistry of last season

Garland - rarely makes a mistake. Does the little things like tip the puck in or get his stick on puck to break up a breakout consistnetly. Also shadows top end players keeping them out of the play. Again some great set ups in this game. Joshua (who I thought looked a littel tired) should have moved the puck to Garland on the 2 on 1 (never a bad idea to move it to Garland) and I bet Garland would have served him up with a empty net goal

Blueger - might have been the first star. Just outstanding on PK and controling the puck for his line. a player that might be ready to break out. Could put Suter in near the same category.

Aman - by far his best game. Doing what he did last year. Using his skating to stay in lanes and support the puck in every zone. Think he has more to give than he has shown for most of this
year.

Hoglander - just on the one effort to get his stick down and on the ice for the deflection was enough to acknowledge him in this game. That was an important goal and Hoglander showed real athletic ability to make that play.

deSmith - at this point looks every bit a starting NHL goalie. Wonderful pick up by managment and key reason for the team's success. Too bad we don't have another goalie ready b/c right now we could pick up something valuable for him.

Hard on Kuzmenko to be again be sat but you can see what Tocchet wants and you wonder if Kuzmenko has that kind of game. Guy like Boeser has bought in (and give him credit for another workman like effort in this one) so maybe they can get Kuzmenko there. There is obviously an open spot on Pattersson wing and Kuz needs to grab it.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hronek - very good at blocking and deflecting shots. Player is so quick at reacting to danger and in creating space to create space. Thought he was the best d-man

Shhh, not supposed to acknowledge Hronek has been better than Hughes for at least the past few weeks if not more. We need to sign him.

Reactions: Indiana

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Decent game, but even with the positive record lately, I still don't think we're playing our best game. I know we're scoring, but I still think we can be better, particularly on offence.

Remember when the answer was always we can be better on defence?

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
That was Pettersson's best game in a long time. Shooting a lot, looked fast. That goal was possibly his most legit "superstar" goal of the year, just creating a goal out of a 1 on 2 with speed and deception.

Overall the team's best 60 minute effort on the road since probably their last game in that building.

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
He will he just has to learn that he cant just rely on being an offensive player and needs to buy into defense.
Yep, kind of a classic “russian” problem it seems. I hope they don’t give up on him, but on the other hand he might fetch a good return in an area where we need more help (other than scoring). Tough one.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Decent game, but even with the positive record lately, I still don't think we're playing our best game. I know we're scoring, but I still think we can be better, particularly on offence.

Remember when the answer was always we can be better on defence?

I agree and yet we are leading the league in 5 on 5 goals so far.
Imagine if Kuzmenko ever regains his form from last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad