Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Preds - 5-2 | De(Smith)nied | Pettersson, Aman, Hoglander, Suter, Blueger

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Wings and defense (top pairing mainly) are the major differences. 2011 did not have a player like Hughes on the blueline, or even Hronek the way he's playing. The wingers I think are straight-up better here. I'd still take the 2011 centres, though I think, if you're talking about that brief moment of prime Sedin-Kesler-Malhotra. Outside the top pair, defense was also probably better/deeper top to bottom.

For the time Sedin-Kesler-Malhotra and I mean, era and style of hockey I can't think of a better, more diverse 3 punches.

I think the wingers are definitely easily better at scoring. But mmmmm overall I don't know about that. Who are our wingers you aren't worried about when they are defending? Mikheyev? Suter, when he is a winger?

As abysmal as their scoring could be, Higgins, Raymond, Samuelsson, Burrows, Hansen are 5 better options than maybe all the wingers we have in that regard. That was kind of the frustrating part with that team. You had like 4-quasi Lehtinens who at times couldn't put the puck into a cargo hold on a BC ferry. But, they'd have the puck for 65% of the game.

I agree that Hughes and Hronek point, but I think if you drop them back into the 2011 game, they'd get dummied pretty hard. I don't want to do this old-man crap, but the game back then was far more reckless than it is now. The players were stronger, meaner, and got more leeway to mix things up. Again, I think Hronek would easily be the best QB option from the point (Ehrhoff fit better style-wise, but Hronek's game has more ubiquity).

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's MLK day. Still absurd to have a Canadian team playing at that time slot.

There's also one on President's Day (2/19) against Minnesota.

Feb 19th is a holiday here as well, at least

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
DeSmith has certainly been found money for us this year. Incredible value getting him in the Pearson swap and he’s providing us with a lot of quality hockey that’s given us points. Outstanding.

Suter and Blueger two very astute pickups in free agency. Even when they’re not scoring, their PK work and defensive play is strong.

Nice to see Petey and Hughes each get multi point games. Good to see Aman bag his first of the season as well.

One of the best start to finish games they’ve played this year. No slow start to this one, that’s for sure.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I watched tons more of the 2011 team than this team. That team had better construction and better fundamentals than this group. The little details were always there. It was a better hockey-playing team.

This team has all the natural talent the 2011 team lacked. It's a better scoring team with better skaters. A lot of that has to do with how the game evolved. It's the most talented team, I believe that.

To your point, Bill, and this is a huge relief - I am greatly confident that management has enough of a pulse with the locker room to know what the team needs or doesn't need. So, if we add at the TDL I am confident the team won't be disturbed.

think 2009 not 2011.

this team is more talented. whether it has the will we will hopefully see shortly.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
For the time Sedin-Kesler-Malhotra and I mean, era and style of hockey I can't think of a better, more diverse 3 punches.

I think the wingers are definitely easily better at scoring. But mmmmm overall I don't know about that. Who are our wingers you aren't worried about when they are defending? Mikheyev? Suter, when he is a winger?

As abysmal as their scoring could be, Higgins, Raymond, Samuelsson, Burrows, Hansen are 5 better options than maybe all the wingers we have in that regard. That was kind of the frustrating part with that team. You had like 4-quasi Lehtinens who at times couldn't put the puck into a cargo hold on a BC ferry. But, they'd have the puck for 65% of the game.

I agree that Hughes and Hronek point, but I think if you drop them back into the 2011 game, they'd get dummied pretty hard. I don't want to do this old-man crap, but the game back then was far more reckless than it is now. The players were stronger, meaner, and got more leeway to mix things up. Again, I think Hronek would easily be the best QB option from the point (Ehrhoff fit better style-wise, but Hronek's game has more ubiquity).

Probably some romanticization of history, but I don't think the way Garland, Hoglander or Mikheyev have played this year they'd be at all out of place on that list, and this year's Boeser is effectively the type of piece that team was missing.

Reactions: Indiana

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Probably some romanticization of history, but I don't think the way Garland, Hoglander or Mikheyev have played this year they'd be at all out of place on that list, and this year's Boeser is effectively the type of piece that team was missing.

I agree to all of this, some begrudgingly. I can at least say those 3 aren't far behind overall the other 5 forwards I mentioned. Minus Burrows, so 4.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Wings and defense (top pairing mainly) are the major differences. 2011 did not have a player like Hughes on the blueline, or even Hronek the way he's playing. The wingers I think are straight-up better here. I'd still take the 2011 centres, though I think, if you're talking about that brief moment of prime Sedin-Kesler-Malhotra (pre-injury). Outside the top pair, defense was also probably better/deeper top to bottom.

Not sure I'd agree with you on the wingers, either. Who'd you rather have on your team, Daniel Sedin or Brock Boeser? Burrows or Mikheyev? Heck, Torres or Joshua? The list goes on. The very top of the defense (Hughes) is probably better on this team, but that's about it. You might have an interesting discussion Kesler versus Miller as well, though I still probably take Kesler for the penalty killing, which this team is actually bad at (versus the absolute elite 2011 pk team). Top to bottom that 2011 team would kick this one's ass, ha ha. Which isn't to knock this team. They have a lot of point-getters, and they're getting better in other areas.

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
I loved Joshua coming to the defense of Garland and then somehow drawing a powerplay. Also loved early in the first period when Joshua lost his stick and threw a thunderous hit in the corner. Joshua is slowly becoming a fan favorite, although he has a lot of competition in that regard.

Last edited:

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I watched tons more of the 2011 team than this team. That team had better construction and better fundamentals than this group. The little details were always there. It was a better hockey-playing team.

This team has all the natural talent the 2011 team lacked. It's a better scoring team with better skaters. A lot of that has to do with how the game evolved. It's the most talented team, I believe that.

To your point, Bill, and this is a huge relief - I am greatly confident that management has enough of a pulse with the locker room to know what the team needs or doesn't need. So, if we add at the TDL I am confident the team won't be disturbed.

Such a discredit to the Sedins.

Reactions: LordBacon

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
The d is far better under tocchet Soucy back soon it gets better this team has potential to make noise in the playoffs maybe not enough to go all the way yet but on right track keep it up boys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad