Post-Game Talk: Canucks Def. Penguins | 5-1 | Pearson, Horvat (2), Kuzmenko, & Miller

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
For the first 6 or 7 games, yeah. He was down from last year and not skating well but still okish and not the worst player in the ice by any stretch.

The last two games were woeful. And yeah, he probably was the most problematic player on the ice.

Last night he was asleep at the switch for two breakaways against. Multiple turnovers. Handled the puck like a grenade. Problems in the 3rd started with OEL having maybe the worst shift for any Canuck this season. Skating terribly - like Dekeyser in preseason.

Hopefully he’s tired or in a funk and can play out of it. But the concern over these last couple games is legit. He was really bad.
I'm not saying I'm not concerned or that he's been good.
But the hyperbolic take of benching him is inane. Can you imagine giving Brisebois or Rathbone top pairing minutes right now? I sure can't.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not saying I'm not concerned or that he's been good.
But the hyperbolic take of benching him is inane. Can you imagine giving Brisebois or Rathbone top pairing minutes right now? I sure can't.

Yeah, they obviously can’t bench him in this situation.

But he needs to play less and if we had better depth he’s a guy who should really be load managed in B2Bs.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
If I only watched Canucks hockey, I'd be so confused as to why Schenn is talked about the way he is around the league. Dude brings it every night and is a true leader.
If I had to buy a jersey today it would be a Schenn jersey. He's the best leader this team has. He's going to be a great coach or executive once his career is over.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Yeah, they obviously can’t bench him in this situation.

But he needs to play less and if we had better depth he’s a guy who should really be load managed in B2Bs.
Concur, but you've seen some of the usual suspects with incredibly hyperbolic knee-jerk takes that would be absolute suicide to pursue, I'm sure.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Concur, but you've seen some of the usual suspects with incredibly hyperbolic knee-jerk takes that would be absolute suicide to pursue, I'm sure.
If he was making 1M I bet you would be calling for him to be benched too.
The only reason you are not is because he makes way too much money and you like others want to make excuse for this player because facing the reality of him being shit is much more painful than admitting we are stuck with a giant anchor.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
If he was making 1M I bet you would be calling for him to be benched too.
The only reason you are not is because he makes way too much money and you like others want to make excuse for this player because facing the reality of him being shit is much more painful than admitting we are stuck with a giant anchor.
No, it's because I have played and watched hockey for close to 30 years and know what I'm watching and understand context. Thanks for explaining what I think to me though.

I am definitely concerned about his contract but, and here's the part that might shock you, I can separate that from what I'm watching on the ice and see that he's being absolutely sunk by being asked to do far too much AND is struggling in his own right. And yet he's still not even close to being our biggest problem on D. Hell, he's the only one who can make a competent breakout pass (and that's more an indictment on what we have playing due to injury than a compliment of him. By his usual standards his passing hasn't been great).

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If he's the only one who can make a competent breakout pass, he should start doing it more. Instead of throwing it up the ice to nowhere.

Reactions: Flik

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
No, it's because I have played and watched hockey for close to 30 years and know what I'm watching and understand context. Thanks for explaining what I think to me though.

I am definitely concerned about his contract but, and here's the part that might shock you, I can separate that from what I'm watching on the ice and see that he's being absolutely sunk by being asked to do far too much AND is struggling in his own right. And yet he's still not even close to being our biggest problem on D. Hell, he's the only one who can make a competent breakout pass (and that's more an indictment on what we have playing due to injury than a compliment of him. By his usual standards his passing hasn't been great).
The problem with being delusional is that you need others to remind you that is the case.

He is playing exactly the same way Arizona fans bas been describing him for the last 2 years he was with them. Like I said, if he wasn’t making so much money and you WANT him to play well to justify his price tag, you would recognize that OEL is crap right now and deserves to be bencher.
I wouldn’t say he is the only one that can make a competent breakout pass because he is not doing that well right now. He gets walked like almost every shift and instead of doing anything with the puck on the defensive side he just throws it up the boards. Dude is a disaster and he might be injured and if he is then he should definitely be benched. If the name on the jersey was Breisbois, nobody would have any qualms about suggesting that he should be sent down.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Happy to explain.

I'm a huge hockey fan and a moderate baseball fan.

I played hockey at a fairly high level ( rep, and our equivalent of junior C) which isn't braggable, but it means I know what it is to play in games with stakes, I have played with and against good players, I know some of the psychology of a team that is playing to win with some stakes (lost the finals that would have taken us to provincials one year, etc), I know how fast it happens on the ice, compared to how easy it is to second guess things on tv or in the stands. I know that hockey is a game of mistakes, and that even at the NHL level, consistent precision is one of the markers between a decent player and a really good one.

This hands-on knowledge offers some lived experience that supports my opinions.

Baseball on the other hand, I played catch with my dad and so on, but have never played a serious game of baseball. Ergo, I have the humility to carry my baseball opinions more lightly because I have no idea what it's like to try to hit a curveball.
ok

i don’t think any of that matters for shit if i’m being honest

all it does is make you feel good/arrogant about your opinions but it has no actual bearing on whether your opinions are good/better relative to other peoples

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
ok

i don’t think any of that matters for shit if i’m being honest

all it does is make you feel good/arrogant about your opinions but it has no actual bearing on whether your opinions are good/better relative to other peoples
No, of course actually doing something has nothing to do with understanding it, right?

Back to JFresh's charts, I guess.

Reactions: Dala

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
No, of course actually doing something has nothing to do with understanding it, right?

Back to JFresh's charts, I guess.
good meme to make yourself feel better there

best managed team in both the nba and nhl are run by suits who never played at any level worth mentioning (bobby webster and julien brisebois)

does that mean i think non-playing guys are automatically than people who’ve playedthegame™

no i do not. it’s all meaningless drivel both ways

your actual opinions on the game matter. not what brought you to that point that makes you feel authoritative about your garbage ass opinions lol

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
good meme to make yourself feel better there

best managed team in both the nba and nhl are run by suits who never played at any level worth mentioning (bobby webster and julien brisebois)

does that mean i think non-playing guys are automatically than people who’ve playedthegame™

no i do not. it’s all meaningless drivel both ways

your actual opinions on the game matter. not what brought you to that point that makes you feel authoritative about your garbage ass opinions lol
Would you want a surgeon who has done an operation before? Or one who watched one a couple of times when he bothered to look over his phone? No difference, right?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

my 30 years of watching is more authoritative than your 30 years of watching because reasons
Bah your both puppies I was probably playing hockey when you were a twinkle in the eye. Or tipping a few back at the Mountain Shadow, the Roxie in the day. Or filling in on the TBirds.

But if plssed at a poster, get up walk around the back of the console and realize there ain't nobody there, just a collection of pixels. I do believe there is a block function too. :D

Sorry didn't mean to post that. I like anonymity

Last edited:
Reactions: Peen

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
look at me guys i was born into a life where my parents were able to afford the most expensive sport

thus my adult opinions are better than yours check matey

Reactions: Flik and rypper

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
2 points out of the WC baby!

I'm so torn, bottoming out would be great, so would making the playoffs. Finishing with 89 points isn't on. I'm not sure if I should be cheering tank or wins.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I’d want people who have played hockey before to *play* on my hockey team.

Playing hockey and managing a hockey team are not the same thing.
Of course they aren't the same thing, and I'm not looking to big-time anybody.

But having done something is relevant to understanding it. It doesn't mean that everyone who has played understands the game better than those who haven't, but it's got some predictive powers.

Moreover, this started because someone else told me why I was 'defending' OEL and I explained that no it wasn't for his simplistic reasons and that I have actually followed and played the game for a long time.

Reactions: Indiana and Dala

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
2 points out of the WC baby!

I'm so torn, bottoming out would be great, so would making the playoffs. Finishing with 89 points isn't on. I'm not sure if I should be cheering tank or wins.
let me help

the canucks having a pretty good year from this day forth ends up with 89 points

however that lands is up to you

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
look at me guys i was born into a life where my parents were able to afford the most expensive sport

thus my adult opinions are better than yours check matey
Back to snipe posts.

For the record, I grew up in a house where we were constantly on the poverty line and occasionally went without power for a couple of days at a time.

I worked hard, and was lucky to have some support, to enable me to play hockey as my one 'luxury'. So miss me with the 'you're privileged'' bullshit, k?

(FTR I understand and respect what privilege typically means, but in this context homie missed the mark by a lot).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I should add that saying OEL is overplayed is such a bad excuse. This is f***ing game 8 and Hughes was only gone for like what 3 games? It’s not like this is game 81 and he has been averaging like 28min a game for the past 80 games.
He makes 7+M, it’s expected for him to be able to handle those minutes for a couple of games at the very least. There is no good reason/excuse that he should be outplayed by Breisbois who is like 10th on the depth chart.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Of course they aren't the same thing, and I'm not looking to big-time anybody.

But having done something is relevant to understanding it. It doesn't mean that everyone who has played understands the game better than those who haven't, but it's got some predictive powers.

Moreover, this started because someone else told me why I was 'defending' OEL and I explained that no it wasn't for his simplistic reasons and that I have actually followed and played the game for a long time.

Of course doing something is relative to understanding it. And if we're talking about the actual *playing* of hockey, I'd rather have someone who played in the NHL explain to me how to improve my slapshot over someone who's never laced up skates and watched some videos on the internet.

But managing hockey and coaching hockey are just not the same as playing hockey. It's understanding people, understanding performance, understanding math. And having critical thinking ability and common sense. And people who haven't played hockey but understand these things and have experienced them in other areas of life *absolutely* may have a better grasp of hockey than some blockhead who was coached well enough and had the physical ability to play the sport at a high level.

JFresh charts are the realm of people who don't understand hockey AND don't understand math.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad