Post-Game Talk: Canucks Def. Penguins | 5-1 | Pearson, Horvat (2), Kuzmenko, & Miller

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This is a bad take.

Part of the reason OEL looks so bad is because he's having to play insane minutes in every single situation to make up for the fact that until tonight Rathbone's hockey sense looked non-NHL level, and Brisebois is objectively not an NHLer (the other LD).

When people talk about how bringing in good players allows 'players to find their levels' what they mean is that good players can look bad when playing outside of their depth.

I'm not saying OEL has been as good as last year, but this is just an insane never happen in a million years take, and not just because of politics but because it shouldn't.

And that's before we even consider the fact that OEL is LD and Bear is RD.
OELs skating has been barely NHL level this year. He suffered another leg injury in WCs maybe its that or maybe him playing through his knee issues that became hip issues are just degenerating.

He has looked like our worst Dman this year.

Reactions: arttk and dez

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
So now after this game, how do Studnicka and Bear get in?

By merit alone, OEL should sit but we know that’s not going to happen.

Rathbone had a good game but still had the least TOI among the D, and the only defenseman that wasn't on the PK. I won't be surprised if Boudreau sits him next game.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Of course I completely miss the best game of the season due to meetings. :laugh:

Looked like a really fun game from the highlights. Martin looked sharp, Kuzmenko looked happy, multiple goals from Horvat, special teams won the day, Bruce there it is chants…it looked like all was well last night? Hopefully it stays that way.

Also - kudos to Guillaume Brisebois and notching his first career point (an assist).

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
This is a bad take.

Part of the reason OEL looks so bad is because he's having to play insane minutes in every single situation to make up for the fact that until tonight Rathbone's hockey sense looked non-NHL level, and Brisebois is objectively not an NHLer (the other LD).

When people talk about how bringing in good players allows 'players to find their levels' what they mean is that good players can look bad when playing outside of their depth.

I'm not saying OEL has been as good as last year, but this is just an insane never happen in a million years take, and not just because of politics but because it shouldn't.

And that's before we even consider the fact that OEL is LD and Bear is RD.
Yeah, no. He's struggled this season and it looks like a lack of mobility and some questionable decision making that's been extending offensive pressure for the opposing team. If it was a matter of being overextended, you'd see some mistakes but generally sound play.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Was at the game and boy did the penguins look slow. The pp looked poor as well. Trying to do odd passes against a very static canucks pk.

Dries looked surprisingly strong in that bumper position.

Horvat can score. His faceoff ability will be sorely missed when he is moved.

Gotta be happy with Burroughs and schenn. Paying pennies for the pair.

OEL is just going to get worse. What a terrible target. They absolutely need to just take the loss and remove him. Even if they eat some money.

Chaos giraffe just looks so awkward with the puck.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I know they can't lose every game, but for f*** sakes. You can't get off to a winless start in your first 7 games and expect to compete in this league. They'll do the same shit as last year and end up in a mediocre draft slot without making the playoffs.

Garland was awesome tonight. Skated around the whole Pens team. No doubt this is who you keep over Boeser

Boeser needs to be the first to go, unfortunately the game has passed him by and you can't play if you can't skate.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I know they can't lose every game, but for f*** sakes. You can't get off to a winless start in your first 7 games and expect to compete in this league. They'll do the same shit as last year and end up in a mediocre draft slot without making the playoffs.

Boeser needs to be the first to go, unfortunately the game has passed him by and you can't play if you can't skate.
Boeser was unnoticeable, again!

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Youre missing a line for the Pens with Crosby and Guentzky
After that game so were the Pens.

Canucks played great, totally unexpected that they would play better than the night before.

Hate to think that those trades might have inspired the team to greater heights.

Martin "Demko'd" them, the team still gave up a bushel basket of grade A scoring chances, but Grade A wasn't enough to beat Martin.

The team played great. Best game in awhile and they did without Huggy Bear. Thinking about Huggy Bear, now they have a real Bear back there.

One quick comment on Horvat, his play is pushing his next contract beyond Miller's, unaffordable

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If I only watched Canucks hockey, I'd be so confused as to why Schenn is talked about the way he is around the league. Dude brings it every night and is a true leader.

I said this at the midway point last year but it’s very funny that Schenn is somewhat of a joke throughout the entire league but is loved here. Both his stints with the Canucks have been fantastic.

Now a part of that is the extremely low expectations and part is he’s getting paid peanuts.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I said this at the midway point last year but it’s very funny that Schenn is somewhat of a joke throughout the entire league but is loved here. Both his stints with the Canucks have been fantastic.

Now a part of that is the extremely low expectations and part is he’s getting paid peanuts.
I mean it’s largely from being drafted 5th overall (in Toronto no less) and really never living up to this expectations. He’s carved out a great career though and he’s been great in Vancouver as a role player.

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
I bought a Sidney Crosby bobblehead doll but it seems to be defective. It only "bobbles" in one direction.
sidney-crosby-bobblehead.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently both Hughes and Boeser are back for Tuesday's date with the Devils....will be interesting to see who comes out after back-to-back wins. And of course both Bear and Studnicka will be available for duty as well.

Boudreau has a lot of interesting lineup decisions to make in the coming days.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Apparently both Hughes and Boeser are back for Tuesday's date with the Devils....will be interesting to see who comes out after back-to-back wins. And of course both Bear and Studnicka will be available for duty as well.

Boudreau has a lot of interesting lineup decisions to make in the coming days.
Guys they can waive down, Rathbone and Dries

Lockwood might moving

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Schenn
I'm probably letting nostalgia or heart cloud decisions but I genuinely feel like if the team was to move Schenn this year it would be akin to the team losing Tanev et al. Just cutting out a major heart and soul guy of the lockerroom.
Schenn might be the best 'bargain d-man' in the entire NHL. I mean $750,000 for what he brings? The Canucks have guys buried in Abbotsford who are making that much.

Some team would have to blow the Canucks out of the water with a trade offer for Allvin to ever get rid of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00