Post-Game Talk: Canucks Def. Penguins | 5-1 | Pearson, Horvat (2), Kuzmenko, & Miller

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Guys they can waive down, Rathbone and Dries

Lockwood might moving
Like we are all aware of Rathbone's defensive short comings, but letting a player that has improved, albeit over a small sample size, go when he's got so much upside and moves the puck so well seems very short sighted. He could easily play a bottom pairing role, and quarter back either PP. I'd give this player a lot of support and ice time to see what you have before getting rid of him for nothing.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, no. He's struggled this season and it looks like a lack of mobility and some questionable decision making that's been extending offensive pressure for the opposing team. If it was a matter of being overextended, you'd see some mistakes but generally sound play.
Not the greatest start for OEL this season, and it hasn't been for Quinn Hughes either...Exacerbated by the fact that both players have been playing insane minutes to make up for injuries, absences, and lack of experience on the Canuck D.

Having Myers back, stabilized the D, somewhat..If Bear can play, and when Hughes comes back, hopefully they can shorten OEL's workload.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Apparently both Hughes and Boeser are back for Tuesday's date with the Devils....will be interesting to see who comes out after back-to-back wins. And of course both Bear and Studnicka will be available for duty as well.

Boudreau has a lot of interesting lineup decisions to make in the coming days.
I've heard these players may be back, but not confirmed.

I'd say it would be pretty tough for Boudreau to break up Bo's line (putting Miller with Bo,finally got him off the Schneid )...or Petes line with Kuz/Mik...I would assume that Brock has to work himself into game shape on the 3rd line.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Like we are all aware of Rathbone's defensive short comings, but letting a player that has improved, albeit over a small sample size, go when he's got so much upside and moves the puck so well seems very short sighted. He could easily play a bottom pairing role, and quarter back either PP. I'd give this player a lot of support and ice time to see what you have before getting rid of him for nothing.

I kind of feel like Rathbone has legitimized PP2 and made it more of a threat.

If they sent him down it defaults to OEL and I'd rather stick with Rathbone.

Reactions: quat

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If Bear is in the lineup Monday (and Hughes returns)..who comes out?.....You cannot possibly take out Burroughs IMO

OEL..MYERS
HUGHES..SCHENN
BURROUGHS..BEAR

RATHBONE

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
It remains insane that NHL teams never practice load management on older players like OEL and instead just run them into the ground because hockey culture says you must play every game.
Bruce is in a tough spot because management decided to spend money on forwards and the injuries to multiple key dmen.

Everyone wants to manage load until reality hits them in the face.

And OEL asking for a maintenance day while on a 7 game losing streak is just not gonna happen I tell u what.

Hell. Oel shouldn’t even be on this god forsaken team. We actually should still have Chris and Alex. f*** you FAQ.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
With Boeser, I think he only works if the team is playing well. When he comes back, and things continue to go smoothly, he will start scoring goals. For 5 seasons he has consistently scored at a 30 goal pace. Only 50 (give or take) players in the league are capable of scoring 30, so if he comes back and keeps scoring like he has, he is a positive value asset.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
After that game so were the Pens.

Canucks played great, totally unexpected that they would play better than the night before.

Hate to think that those trades might have inspired the team to greater heights.

Martin "Demko'd" them, the team still gave up a bushel basket of grade A scoring chances, but Grade A wasn't enough to beat Martin.

Still room on the Martin > Demko bus. Hop aboard now before it fills, limited places left

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
With Boeser, I think he only works if the team is playing well. When he comes back, and things continue to go smoothly, he will start scoring goals. For 5 seasons he has consistently scored at a 30 goal pace. Only 50 (give or take) players in the league are capable of scoring 30, so if he comes back and keeps scoring like he has, he is a positive value asset.

He’s averaged about 15 ES goals/82 since the start of the 19-20 season.

2022 Brock Boeser isn’t a 30-goal scorer and if he isn’t getting PP1 minutes he’ll probably struggle to get to 20.

What he did in the fall of 2017 is basically irrelevant at this point.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Getting a player of Kuzmenko’s calibre for free is a nice feeling. So fun to watch. Smarts and skills for days. With better luck/finishing would easily be point per game. Definitely has 60-70 point potential.

Reactions: Grantham

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
I absolutely DESPISE Aquilini and desperately want new ownership
do any of you actually think the canucks are going to get new ownership?

and you think someone who buys the team is going to be aby different then aqualini?

some of you live in dream world

every owner is going to be some rich douche. wake up

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
He’s averaged about 15 ES goals/82 since the start of the 19-20 season.

2022 Brock Boeser isn’t a 30-goal scorer and if he isn’t getting PP1 minutes he’ll probably struggle to get to 20.

What he did in the fall of 2017 is basically irrelevant at this point.
His even strength production is good overall, taking into consideration some shortened seasons. There isn't enough of a sample size to say that he has declined. Last year was a horrible year for him personally. Just hope he can stay healthy, then he will likely score at his usual 30 goal pace.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Yeah, no. He's struggled this season and it looks like a lack of mobility and some questionable decision making that's been extending offensive pressure for the opposing team. If it was a matter of being overextended, you'd see some mistakes but generally sound play.
Like I said, he hasn't been as good as last year I'm not saying it's only being overextended. But the idea that he's been 'the worst on the team' is just a nonsense take.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You can if you're elite in other areas like playmaking, defensive positioning, board battles and net front. Unfortunately he's terrible at all of that as well.
This meme is getting tiresome.

I just hope Hughes isn’t rushing back.

Is it wrong that I’m not looking forward to Boeser being back in the lineup?
No its right in line with the narrative on these boards.

Boeser is the worst player ever to wear a nucks jersey and if he died today there would be a multi day parade in Vancouver.

• Wow
Reactions: dez and rypper

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like I said, he hasn't been as good as last year I'm not saying it's only being overextended. But the idea that he's been 'the worst on the team' is just a nonsense take.

For the first 6 or 7 games, yeah. He was down from last year and not skating well but still okish and not the worst player in the ice by any stretch.

The last two games were woeful. And yeah, he probably was the most problematic player on the ice.

Last night he was asleep at the switch for two breakaways against. Multiple turnovers. Handled the puck like a grenade. Problems in the 3rd started with OEL having maybe the worst shift for any Canuck this season. Skating terribly - like Dekeyser in preseason.

Hopefully he’s tired or in a funk and can play out of it. But the concern over these last couple games is legit. He was really bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad