Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Islanders - 6-5 (Pettersson x2, OEL, Boeser, Aman, Beauvillier)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weird game. Probably should have been 3-2 but horrible goaltending both ways. Thought the team generally played well defensively but wasn't reflected at all in the score.

- like I said earlier in the thread, it's beyond annoying to see Boeser play like he gives a crap after 120 games of just floating around going through the motions. The Boeser we saw tonight was actually useful and not the total passenger he's been. Threw a hit even. Maybe his best game since fans were back in rinks.

- JT Miller looks back to the player he was last year. Very strong two-way effort tonight.

- really happy for Beauvillier. I actually hate him on the PP but he scored there so ... yay? He works hard and is more of a Jannik Hansen type being overplayed right now, but you can see where he's useful outside of the salary.

- Phil Di Giuseppe looks like an NHL player and had 7 SOG tonight. Curtis Lazar and Sheldon Dries do not look like NHL players.

- Podkolzin was excellent again tonight. Really appears to have some chemistry with Miller, same as he did at the end of last year. What happened to him earlier this season does not really reflect well on Boudreau.

- strongly disagree with the benching of Kuzmenko. I don't think he's a defensive problem, in much the same way Hughes isn't a defensive problem - he's good defensively by pushing the play into the right end of the rink and having tremendous puck management skills. He isn't going to run though guys to win board battles and sometimes you can't tell a Ferrari to play like a Jeep.

- thought the Bear-Hughes pairing was very good - gutsy performance by Hughes with a broken face.

- I was leading the Burrows>Stillman brigade in October when Burrows was feeling it and playing well but he's lost the confidence he had and Stillman has improved and looks like the better player right now.

- another .828 game for the goaltending. It's actually getting unbelievable.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You told me he was good last season.

Ugh.

This was a player I hated when he was an overrated no-talent young guy in Ottawa and Calgary but I thought he had found a role as a decent 4th liner who looked physical and effective in the Boston games I saw last season.

What we've seen this year looks like the player I remember in Calgary who just contributed nothing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Great games for Pettersson Boeser Miller Podkolzin PDG even OEL

Pod and PDG did a ton of heavy lifting and smart board play. Huge when guys can win battles and force turnovers and connect defense to offense. Very happy for the 2 call ups. Both are not going anywhere. Pod is a huge player for us and PDG its really nice to see him healthy when his opportunity long overdue finally came.

Ugh.

This was a player I hated when he was an overrated no-talent young guy in Ottawa and Calgary but I thought he had found a role as a decent 4th liner who looked physical and effective in the Boston games I saw last season.

What we've seen this year looks like the player I remember in Calgary who just contributed nothing.
Yes he's such a good team guy but man has he been a vanilla nothing burger outside of about 5 or 6 games. It's not enough. PDG did more tonight then he has in 10 games

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
That’s part of the reason that a fairly quick turnaround is possible if they execute near perfect here on in. This isn’t a team in search of decently young first line offensive talent like many bottom feeders. They have that part. It’s the other areas that should be somewhat easier to address and of course effective coaching on the defensive side of things will also help.

Don’t get me wrong there is a lot of work to be done but you don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
That’s why I’ve been saying that we can probably lose a couple of forwards and focus on getting defense first guys. Like Petey, Miller, Kuz and Hughes will almost guarantee like 2-3GF per game. Get some other guys to tighten up the D and we can be a playoff team pretty easily and then you just build on that for the next couple of years.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
You just have to wonder what lead to this effort level. Why is he zoned. I think a trade is best for both parties.
After puzzling over his effort streakiness for a few years, I think Boeser is perpetually fat and out of shape and that's why he can't sustain the effort.

I also think he's adapted his game to being fat and out of shape so while it might look like he's been playing injured, he's not, he's just overrelying on anticipation so he doesn't have to move his legs as much and he proves it with some occasional bursts of speed in the o-zone or being on point for a stretch. It's tempting to blame his back injury for the changes in his game but I think it's more likely perpetually poor condition.

A team that could make him be a professional year round including the offseason could probably remold him but I've given up on that being us.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Great games for Pettersson Boeser Miller Podkolzin PDG even OEL

Pod and PDG did a ton of heavy lifting and smart board play. Huge when guys can win battles and force turnovers and connect defense to offense. Very happy for the 2 call ups. Both are not going anywhere. Pod is a huge player for us and PDG its really nice to see him healthy when his opportunity long overdue finally came.

Yes he's such a good team guy but man has he been a vanilla nothing burger outside of about 5 or 6 games. It's not enough. PDG did more tonight then he has in 10 games

Yeah. What we're getting from Lazar is what you get from some no-talent Brad Malone type AHLer called up in an injury crunch. It isn't the level of a top-12 NHL forward. He's just a total black hole offensively, isn't helping the PK, isn't really great defensively. He's just there, and throws a couple hits here and there.

Di Giuseppe has contributed more in 4 games this year than Lazar has in 40. He's just a better player at both ends of the rink.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
After tonight's game, the Islanders sit at 12th last in the league by point%. I think I'd rather take my chances on 15ish pick this year.

Ditto. I think the Islanders will make it close but will miss the playoffs barring both the Capitals and Panthers totally falling apart.

Reactions: Indiana

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
How many games before the trade deadline? Boeser showing signs of life. Maybe it's the coaching, but he looks a lot more in sync out there. I just hope he can go on a run so somebody will take him at the deadline. Miller starting to look like last years Miller too, though in his case, we should get something decent in return for him.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yeah. What we're getting from Lazar is what you get from some no-talent Brad Malone type AHLer called up in an injury crunch. It isn't the level of a top-12 NHL forward. He's just a total black hole offensively, isn't helping the PK, isn't really great defensively. He's just there, and throws a couple hits here and there.

Di Giuseppe has contributed more in 4 games this year than Lazar has in 40. He's just a better player at both ends of the rink.
Reminds me of former Canuck Tim Schaller in some ways (Lazar). He's just there to suck up oxygen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Reminds me of former Canuck Tim Schaller in some ways (Lazar). He's just there to suck up oxygen.

That's a pretty good (and unfortunate) comparison, right down to possibly being floated by the high tide in Boston rather than actually being good. At least Lazar only gets paid half as much.

So far Lazar is a downgrade on Lammikko, by a fair margin.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I wonder if there’s something that could be done around Boeser for Romanov. Seems like Romanov isn’t working out for the Islanders. If Islanders want a RHD maybe Myers with retention or Schenn being apart of it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wonder if there’s something that could be done around Boeser for Romanov. Seems like Romanov isn’t working out for the Islanders. If Islanders want a RHD maybe Myers with retention or Schenn being apart of it.

Romanov is playing over 20 minutes/game for them at age 22. Seems like he's working out pretty well?

For the record, these are the only guys born 2000 and later playing 20+ minutes/game

Dahlin
Power
Seider
K'Andre Miller
Samuelsson
Sanderson
Dobson
Guhle
Byram
Moser
Romanov

As an aside, 3 of these 11 guys play for Buffalo. Shit they have a great defensive situation moving forward.

Reactions: Indiana and Vector

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
- strongly disagree with the benching of Kuzmenko. I don't think he's a defensive problem, in much the same way Hughes isn't a defensive problem - he's good defensively by pushing the play into the right end of the rink and having tremendous puck management skills. He isn't going to run though guys to win board battles and sometimes you can't tell a Ferrari to play like a Jeep.
This worries me. I really hope Rick doesn't kill all of Kuze's confidence forcing him to be a player he isn't

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Kinda says a lot

Miller and Boeser were fired up.

You think some of these guys feel slighted by Bo and him wanting to move on. By his lackluster efforts all too often and then goes on a heater when it matters for his pocketbook.

I mean good for Bo but was glad to see some heart in the players who are still here and hopefully want to turn the ship
"Lackluster efforts"? How many goals did he score for us? This fanbase is unbelievable.

Reactions: Cogburn

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'd be all over that.

I just don't see how we shed Boeser's salary to a competitive team, it'll probably have to be to a bottom feeder trying to improve. I'm floored teams like the Devils and Wild are rumoured to want him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad