Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Islanders - 6-5 (Pettersson x2, OEL, Boeser, Aman, Beauvillier)

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I would have thought this would be posted already but,

The Canucks play their old Captain for the first time, Horvat was serenaded by the Islander fans last game something that never happened in Vancouver but might happen now when he plays in Vancouver next time.

I think the Islanders will play a more serious game than the Devils and Rangers did who looked like they played with their eyes closed backing off for long stretches.

The Canucks have effort but Boudreau or Tocchet they still need to score 5 goals to win. This is not all on the goaltending, this is just a group of half decent to good players but a bad mix, sort of like apple pie with lots of sugar and spices but no crust.

Islanders are playing to get into the show.

Canucks may have some injuries for the first time in two years, Hughes and Schenn could miss this game.

I think the low scoring, before Horvat, but stingy Islanders will put up a fuller game, if they get up a couple they might lay off too but not likely. An exercise of the defensive play maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Watched the Tocchet media availability from yesterday and I must say I do appreciate him being pretty blunt in his assessments and specifically what they are doing wrong. He has his catch phrases ("value plays" for example) but he is correct in what is wrong IMO.

Now some players aren't going to like it because he is much more willing to name names than a lot of coaches. Especially early on in a coaching tenure.

Anyways, on to tonight and I'm guessing another loss.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Watched the Tocchet media availability from yesterday and I must say I do appreciate him being pretty blunt in his assessments and specifically what they are doing wrong. He has his catch phrases ("value plays" for example) but he is correct in what is wrong IMO.

Now some players aren't going to like it because he is much more willing to name names than a lot of coaches. Especially early on in a coaching tenure.

Agreed. He was pretty blunt that he didn't like 4 or 5 guys.

Credit to Imac (I think) for asking if Kuzmenko was one of the guys based on his ice time and Tocchet went in a bit. Nice to get a specific answer regarding players than the typical 'feelings" stuff.

Last edited:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Rick "The Gambler" Tocchet talking about "value plays".

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This game is all about Beauvillier returning to his old stadium against his old team. I really hope the OP makes the NECESSARY ajustments

@theguardianII
Horvat like Linden will always be associated with the Canucks.

Beauvillier may be returning to his old barn but was always a complimentary player not the engine that made the train go.

Horvat is more important to Canuck fans for this year anyway.

That is something he has to be careful with, using these tactics with this team. He could alienate some players very early.
Coaches only have so many tools they can use before they where out and using the media is one with a very short shelf life.

For the remainder of this year he should keep to the clichés and just talk about the team needing to get used to a new system.

Sure call the game the way he see's it but generalize the referrals, the players will know who he is meaning.

This year he should just learn the character of the player's, their personalities. That isn't done over night or the way he wants to coach this soon. The AHL and marginal guys will tolerate it but some vets will just want out. I have no doubt he gave a letter to OEL just so he could rip it off in an embarrassing way later.
He can't get away with a Torts type coaching yet, he doesn't have the resume.

Is Tocchet Green 2.0? If so he is/will be half way to losing the room in his 3rd week. And that has nothing to do with any of his systems yet

Reactions: M2Beezy

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Small sample size, but we're down from averaging 32 shots against/game under Boudreau to 26 SA/game under Tocchet. And outside of that horrible Seattle game, we do look more structured.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Structurally Sound at Sucking.

They definitely look better under Tocchet.

Just more evident now the team just sucks.
It's a good point. It does make things easier to evaluate, though.

But it's been a good example of why - for the most part - players perform within a similar expected range regardless of coach.

Like who's still shit? The same guys.

Miller's been better at C than any other games this season at C recently, but I think that bump was expected with a new coach. Still think he is a far better winger.

Tocchet would hate hoglander

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Structurally Sound at Sucking.

They definitely look better under Tocchet.

Just more evident now the team just sucks.

This team could be quite good if they somehow add a legit 2nd line center, a 3rd line shutdown center, 2 top pairing defensemen and get Demko back to peak form.

Just a few pieces away.

Reactions: quat and mriswith

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I liked our favorite grandpa in Bruce, but from all his media availabilities, Rick Tocchet is an easy guy to like.
He's just a no nonsense hockey guy. Talks about the boring things that are needed to win. Arguably exactly what this team needs right now.

Reactions: Nomobo

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
OEL and Myers are dead anchors on the blue line. If I was Foote and Gonchar, I’d be chewing these lazy idiots all game.
I'm actually a little embarrassed for them. With Myers I think it's an ability thing. He gets lost twisting around in his own zone. I don't think it's intentional. With OEL, I just don't think he cares.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
No one can say Myers doesn't try. Dude is sweating bullets every game. He's just not real gud.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Big fan of what Tocchet has brought so far, though to be fair it's easier for a new coach to do some of the things he's done. Harder to do a few years down the line when relationships are deeper.

Thought his non-comment about Boeser was interesting. Was basically teed up to compliment Brock and didn't do that.

Glowing praise for Bear too. I thought he did some good things as well yesterday. Tough spot for all the d-men with the injuries and Bear held up better than most.

Reactions: Nomobo and timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Facing Shesterkin and Sorokin, both with rest days, on back to back nights certainly is fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad