Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Golden Knights - 5-4 (OT) (Horvat, Podkolzin, Pettersson, Richardson, Hughes)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Clearly needs to be let go
I’m in favor of keeping him, but again, once you account for the initial Boudreau bump, the team has been playing at a 3rd in div/wild card type pace - which is really where a lot of people forecasted us to be competing.

You have to be sure that Bruce can extrapolate more from youth considering that’s unquestionably the route they’re going to go this summer.

I get why people like Bruce. The results have been the best since 14/15 with him, but there’s more than just the record here when considering keeping him.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
I’m in favor of keeping him, but again, once you account for the initial Boudreau bump, the team has been playing at a 3rd in div/wild card type pace - which is really where a lot of people forecasted us to be competing.

You have to be sure that Bruce can extrapolate more from youth considering that’s unquestionably the route they’re going to go this summer.

I get why people like Bruce. The results have been the best since 14/15 with him, but there’s more than just the record here when considering keeping him.
Idk why people keep discounting and brushing off the winning streak when he was first hired. Teams go on winning streaks all the time, that was no different. Should we just ignore every teams winning streaks to see what they really are?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Idk why people keep discounting and brushing off the winning streak when he was first hired. Teams go on winning streaks all the time, that was no different. Should we just ignore every teams winning streaks to see what they really are?
Agreed..Rutherford said that a coaching bump usually only lasts a couple of games..The only thing that really killed the momentum we’re all the covid quarantines in January…

Boudreau has done an outstanding job.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

You know who also had a winning streak after he was hired?

Geoff Ward

Reactions: geebaan

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It’s just the point I personally think is from where after you can get a fair read on the team.

It is relatively similar to our entire season pace as well.

Like, my rebuttal to that would be that there’s historically always been those initial coaching bumps. Then the bad start with a sour culture as well.

I’m just trying to take the portion I feel is the most representative of the true talent level of the team - which is the period after the bump rather than the entire season or the bump included.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Management makes different moves if the team is playing at a playoff pace all year as well. Can't simply look at the current roster. Could have made noise if the purge happened when everyone was screaming for it early.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Boudreau has a point. This game was disastrous defensively, sure VGK is a great hockey team, but we gave up many odd man rushes and they played so loose with a banged up line-up.

I like Lockwood's speed, Lammikko and Podkolzin's effort, but the defence was left out to dry tonight. Need more structure and calm pace rather than forcing pressure on Vegas. They made us look silly tonight at times especially Shea Theodore.

Giving up a point to a non-playoff team you are chasing... While you had 2 goal lead in the 3rd period.. They really are young and raw considering how jacked up they got about the OT goal.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Yes, we had a 2 goal lead after 2 periods, but did anyone expect a Vegas team of now healthy veterans to lay down and die in the 3rd?

Let's give the Vegas team some credit. They are an uber-competitive team to begin with, and kept themselves in the playoff race when they had a platoon of stars out with injuries. They are never an easy out. They earned that tie tonight.

I'm impressed that we were able to score 10 goals on Vegas in our last 2 outings. And Demko has 31 wins.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The fact that after a game like that the literal gdt is full of people stiiiiiillll going on and on about Benning has to be indicative of some derangement syndrome at some point.

The sun has risen like 100 times since he left and it seems like some of you have missed some great games.

Playing a team like Vegas that is now healthy, while missing 4 important forwards is pure guts and it was a stressful watch, but what a pleasure.

I hope people can see past OEL's contract, it's not his fault and he's a fabulous defenseman. A pleasure to watch the lanes he chooses to close guys off, the way he protects the puck, and the way he gives it to guys in stride with space.

People who were calling for us to trade Petey like 2 months ago, my God man give your head a shake. The kid is a superstar and he will be better next year. That he's found his stride amidst such an adversarial season is huge.

Horvat goes from having a poor year to being a 30 goal scorer. He, Petey, Hughes, Demko, and Podz are the core that is etched in concrete. After that, there are decisions to make.

Chiasson deserves a lot of credit for the way he's played recently. He's a really good 13th forward, ultimately, but he's been plugged into our top 6 during the most important stretch of the season and he has been really showing well. Has earned himself another 1 way contract though quite likely not with us.

Demko made a number of incredible saves as he always does, but he actually let in a couple of weird ones today. With that said, he's absolutely top 3 in the league.

Miller is looking tired and he's a very mercurial player. He's either the reason you win, or he's contributing the other way. That said, while he made some mental fatigue giveaways that were terrible, he found the reserves to battle to get the puck back or neutralize the space for the opposition after his mistakes. An important player, but I suspect this is his last year here and I support that (assuming he wouldn't give us any kind of sweetheart deal).

The refs giving Vegas those two hooking calls minutes apart late in the 3rd was just...okay, are those going to be penalties in the playoffs? No? Weird, almost like there's no consistency in officiating.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Benning had a near 10 year reign on this franchise and was a f***ing disaster. His terrible decisions (and yes, good ones too) affect this roster and absolutely should continue to be discussed - said players are still on this team for better or worse. And seriously, just because some posters rip on Benning doesn't mean they've "missed some great games" lmao

On a more related note, No Horvat with something like 20 pts in his last 18 (March 1 - present). Man's about to have his second highest point total of his career after an abysmal first half or so of the year. Props to him.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
The fact that after a game like that the literal gdt is full of people stiiiiiillll going on and on about Benning has to be indicative of some derangement syndrome at some point.

The sun has risen like 100 times since he left and it seems like some of you have missed some great games.

Playing a team like Vegas that is now healthy, while missing 4 important forwards is pure guts and it was a stressful watch, but what a pleasure.

I hope people can see past OEL's contract, it's not his fault and he's a fabulous defenseman. A pleasure to watch the lanes he chooses to close guys off, the way he protects the puck, and the way he gives it to guys in stride with space.

People who were calling for us to trade Petey like 2 months ago, my God man give your head a shake. The kid is a superstar and he will be better next year. That he's found his stride amidst such an adversarial season is huge.

Horvat goes from having a poor year to being a 30 goal scorer. He, Petey, Hughes, Demko, and Podz are the core that is etched in concrete. After that, there are decisions to make.

Chiasson deserves a lot of credit for the way he's played recently. He's a really good 13th forward, ultimately, but he's been plugged into our top 6 during the most important stretch of the season and he has been really showing well. Has earned himself another 1 way contract though quite likely not with us.

Demko made a number of incredible saves as he always does, but he actually let in a couple of weird ones today. With that said, he's absolutely top 3 in the league.

Miller is looking tired and he's a very mercurial player. He's either the reason you win, or he's contributing the other way. That said, while he made some mental fatigue giveaways that were terrible, he found the reserves to battle to get the puck back or neutralize the space for the opposition after his mistakes. An important player, but I suspect this is his last year here and I support that (assuming he wouldn't give us any kind of sweetheart deal).

The refs giving Vegas those two hooking calls minutes apart late in the 3rd was just...okay, are those going to be penalties in the playoffs? No? Weird, almost like there's no consistency in officiating.
Great post and I agree1

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Folks who praised the man for the better part of his tenure shouldn’t be making give your head a shake posts.

congrats to you for being able to support them through it all.

Many folks will likely need more than a hundred days and a lot more roster turnover. Cool that you can be all in on Benning and just continue it.

I do find the notion that “stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilll being on about it” after 100 days as some unlikely occurrence silly. Not everyone just laps up what this team does but congrats you appear to be that.

Just saying but I saw but Gillis in GDT’s after 1000 days. Might’ve even been you. The irony is hilarious.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Andrew Walker was a complete asshole for the entirety of the time he spent covering the Canucks. Watching him eat shit over this colossally bad take is just awesome.

It wasn't really a bad take though - EP was playing awful leading up to when he said that. It was kind of an obvious take at the time.

Since around then, he has been amazing.

Reactions: Indiana and timw33

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It wasn't really a bad take though - EP was playing awful leading up to when he said that. It was kind of an obvious take at the time.

Since around then, he has been amazing.

Even when Petey was at his worst this year, he wasn't AHL material. It was a brutal hot take in an attempt to be edgy (Walker to a T) and it blew up in his face when Petey rather predictably rounded back into form.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I never lost faith that EP would find his game and be a star. I've been wrong about plenty of other things but I was 100% sure that he would rebound. What a treat to watch when he is playing at this level.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Pettersson with another very strong game. I always assumed he was going to bounce back at some point, but it's so big for this team that he's actually done it. I'm expecting he'll have learned a lot from this experience and be motivated to come into camp prepared to be the star player he is.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I never lost faith that EP would find his game and be a star. I've been wrong about plenty of other things but I was 100% sure that he would rebound. What a treat to watch when he is playing at this level.

Players who think the game as well as he does and want to win as badly as he does don't drop off a cliff at 22. Just a blip.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021

Well that’s called a variable and yes you do factor those in. You might not bet your farm on a new coach bump but they exist. If you want to be completely safe you can take out the first 4 games instead of the 7 if you want less of a margin for error.

But you then would also have to factor in the state of the team when Boudreau was hired. They have been playing for their playoff lives and with a chip on their shoulders to prove to the new management that they should go all in with this group while probably at least 25 or more of the other 32 teams (ie our opponents that gifted us this .653%) haven’t been in playoff mode or not sweating it if you want to put it that way. So you definitely can’t just give them the .653% Scott free without looking at all the variables. That would be foolish lol.

let’s just say if you follow this team at all and think we are a legit .653% team then you are foolish. Then we would be legit contenders. Lol Tampa is .658.

• Love
Reactions: geebaan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad