Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Golden Knights - 5-4 (OT) (Horvat, Podkolzin, Pettersson, Richardson, Hughes)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

So much to love here. But I think Eichel diving so hard he took himself out of the play on the man who scored the game winner is just chef’s kiss. The only alternative there is Hughes briefly channeled some Kill Bill style one inch punch power. Eichel launched about five feet there.

The jumping and hugging at the end from the boys was good to see, too. Nice to see some give a shit from them.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I dont know why exactly but this was the first game I could cheer for them from the deepest of my heart after quite some apathy after the years of Bennings misery. I know they still got a long way to go before this team is going to be a real contender but as a fan today dug me out of the Benning hole.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I dont know why exactly but this was the first game I could cheer for them from the deepest of my heart after quite some apathy after the years of Bennings misery. I know they still got a long way to go before this team is going to be a real contender but as a fan today dug me out of the Benning hole.
The Benning hole for me still is as deep as Marianas Trench

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Im already looking forward to the outrage when the PP dries up again and we start looking for even strength scoring only to have sold ours pennies on the dollar.

It should be fun times.
I think boeser and Miller are the ones that will be traded

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
A bit of positive speculation.

Vegas with Calgary and Edmonton next (2 losses).
VAN with Coyotes (W) and Dallas (who have two games before: Minne and Sharks (1L/1W).
With everything going according to standings except a win over Dallas then VAN would sit #3 with 3 point short of Dallas and equal games played. Then it will be up to winning one more than Dallas does the last 6 games.

Or things just go sideways, it basically means win every remaining game.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Rough third but getting a win out with this increasingly injured riddled, rag tag group, is pretty amazing.
Loss would have been devastating but even the OT win leaves us living on fumes.

Good

Pettersson - has made a great adjustment to the wing and has been surprisingly effective along the boards. Is becoming what we hoped him to be

Podkolzin - another strong game. Took the puck to the net well but the most impressive thing was his ability to move the puck quickly to create chances for others. By next season you'd think he has to be on the top line.

OEL - is playing some of his best hockey of the year. Allowed for controlled outlet coming out of his zone all night and was good around his net. Rightfully replaced Hughes on the first PP for much of the game. Likely should be left there. Myers and him are playing like a top pairing over the recent run.

Garland - not his most effective game but given his play in OT, he was important. All year I thought he should have been out in 3 on 3 OT instead of Boeser and tonight showed that opinion was probably correct.

Demko - might have had the tying goal but otherwise made some critical saves.

Horvat - playing his strongest hockey of the season and central to the win streak. Erasing most of the concerns I and others had about him during earlier parts of the season.

Not so good

Miller - is living proof of the adage that physical fatigue leads to mental fatigue. Just too many bone headed passes and plays leading directly to outstanding chances against. Difficult, however, to criticize a player that has done so much to put this team in a position where they have chance. Not a great chance but a chance.

Dickinson - continues to do virtually nothing and loses every puck battle.
Sadly: Richardson >>>>>>>Dickinson

Other

Lockwood - some good, some bad. Needs to improve defensive decision making - especially in recognizing the immediate danger. Don't think, at this point, he is better than Motte or Highmore but he is in that conversation

Hughes - obviously still recovering from illness. Not as strong or quick along the boards as he has been for most of the season. Nice he scored the winner and showed good touch there.

Hunt - made consistently good plays when he was out. Bit of untold story is his unexpected importance to the team.

Dreis - didn't think he looked as good as Petan has looked over the last while. Doubt he has the size or range in his play to compete well at this level.

Can't see how Boudreau, who has got so much out of players so little could be expected from, can be let go. He has to get a ton of credit for the team record since he took over. Also, emphasizes how poor Green was and how I, among others, didn't see clearly enough the problem that Green was.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I absolutely loved 29 year old Brad Richardson

There is absolutely no reason that this slow, washed Richardson should be significantly outplaying a guy we paid 2.7MM to. God is Dickinson a nothing player.

You can thank Jim ‘my neck, my back, lick my ***** and my crack’ Benning for that albatross contract to Dickinson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad