Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Golden Knights - 5-4 (OT) (Horvat, Podkolzin, Pettersson, Richardson, Hughes)

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I think it's pretty unrealistic to think his name won't come up, even within a gdt. After an 8 year reign of terror his hands are on every part of the team. It's barely been 4 months since the change.
I mean, the Canucks are short 4 forwards and put forth a gutsy effort to win a do or die game against a team that has been their superior for 5 years. Does the thread that is literally intended to discuss this game need to constantly be polluted with kvetching about a former team employee? You don't see how I might see this as a tad dysfunctional?

Would you choose your child's birthday as the occasion to start complaining about your ex wife?

She's gone, it's over. I'm not saying you can't talk about it or process it, but does it have to be everywhere all the time?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Hits and blocked shots are what happens when the other team has the puck all the time. It's a *BAD* thing when you're leading in those stats.

Giveaways/takeaways are an absolutely useless stat. I don't even know why the NHL bothers recording it because it's so inaccurate it beggars belief.

Yes, special teams were better for us ... largely because of that goaltending advantage.
You speak in such absolutes.

Look if a D man is consistently getting caved in possession wise and leads the league in hits and blocked shots every year, yes that might be a false idol.

But to unequivocally say that leading a team in hits and blocks is bad is just an unnuanced take.

For one thing, where are the hits happening? Hits on the forecheck are never a bad sign.

Secondly, they may not suggest that you are sustainably 'better' than the other team, but they do show the team's commitment and willingness to sacrifice themselves for the good of the team. Those teams do better than teams that won't.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Thoroughly out-puck-possessed by Vegas for significant portions of the game. Although Vegas racks up the shots, they do take a fair amount of lower percentage shots among those, but they are very good at retrieving the puck and/or forcing the other team to dump and change, while Vegas regroups at center ice, to enter the offensive zone and do it again. They are possession monsters, but just kind of mediocre at finishing.

Breakouts against heavy-forechecking teams is something I'd like to see this team address, whether that be a dman personnel or a systems issue. Way too many "just dump it out to center ice" plays.

On the positive side, it is nice to see our top players show they can bury the puck in big games, without needing a high volume of shots and chances. Shows they know how to finish/got a bit of that "clutch" gene in them.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
You gotta stop with the real takes. Nobody here wants those.
This take completely ignores score effects though. We led for most of the game. It's not unusual in those circumstances to be outshot and out possessed.

Like if you were trying to siege a castle does the fact that you shot more arrows mean that you were more likely to be successful than those who were behind castle walls and occupying the higher ground?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Folks who praised the man for the better part of his tenure shouldn’t be making give your head a shake posts.

congrats to you for being able to support them through it all.

Many folks will likely need more than a hundred days and a lot more roster turnover. Cool that you can be all in on Benning and just continue it.

I do find the notion that “stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilll being on about it” after 100 days as some unlikely occurrence silly. Not everyone just laps up what this team does but congrats you appear to be that.

Just saying but I saw but Gillis in GDT’s after 1000 days. Might’ve even been you. The irony is hilarious.
It wasn't me so there's not even a trace of irony there, but good try.

This strikes me as a tremendous amount of whataboutism.

First of all, I was never 'all in' on Benning. He was our GM, that was the reality. There was a death cult on these boards that reached ridiculous proportions where it turned him into a caricature of a human being. I pushed back on that and gave him credit where I felt it was due (good picks, some good trades, etc). But on this board, that was received as if I was saying he was a God and entirely infallible, I never felt that way and never expressed it.

It's like, if someone in Q-anon claims Tom Hanks is a pedophile without evidence and I say, "you have no evidence of that" does that mean I love Tom Hanks?

I'm not saying there's no evidence of Benning making bad moves. But to borrow from the previous example, someone could say "Tom Hanks sucks as an actor" and I could chalk it up to different opinions (I actually don't have a strong opinion on him either way).

When it gets to the hyperbole, "lol, Benning probably did X", or "he could have traded Miller for the Timo Meier pick source=my ass", or "I think the Hughes and Pettersson picks were really Brackett forcing Benning not to take whichever bust went next". That stuff is unsourced nonsense and I'm pushing against it. That's it.

And when it comes to rationality, having to complain about Benning in a GDT after a big win doesn't suggest cold hard rationality, does it?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Blocking shots and hitting people is what you do when you don't have the puck. You can't have giveaway if you don't have the puck. Demko won the game.
But you can be a be a team that blocks shots well...or a team that doesnt..?

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Lol Vegas is ahead of us where it matters. In the standings. So until we pass them this season. Probably won’t be able to, they have the bragging rights as a team if that’s what you guys are discussing.

If it’s just about that last game. My takeaway from it is that Vegas needs to gel quickly with all their injuries back, especially Lehner if they want to catch LA. Pretty sure they won’t catch Dallas.

My takeaway from our team is that our players are frustratingly delusional and some of our fans to. What I saw from us wasn’t impressive at all except for podz, ep, and demko. Hughes was okay. Whether that was enough to outplay an in shambles reeling Vegas team? Probably not. But then again I wasn’t in scouting mode and didn’t really analyze every detail because I have seen enough of this team this season to know we are bad so doesn’t really matter if we outplayed them or got outplayed. Only thing we can use or hope for right now is to give rathbone some games and hope we lose for a better drafting position. But of course we try now….. why not earlier lol

Reactions: Fatass

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Vegas has always been a volume shooting team. While the Nucks refuse to shoot, and overpass. VGK turned it on when they needed to, and then lost in OT. Exactly what people complained about the nucks doing early and mid season.

Healthy vs healthy Id like the odds vs them in a playoff series, especially without the deadline moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad