Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Coyotes - 5-1 (Garland, Horvat, Pettersson, Miller, Boeser)

Favourite #21 memory?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Pettersson once he gets himself back to being a scoring star in the league with Miller a pt a game line driver is comparable in age difference and potentially overall impact to Sedin and Kesler.

Horvat is a mid tier 2nd liner who looks like he's not gonna age well with his sluggish skating and ok defensive play. I like them all and would be ok keeping Bo as well but moving Miller because he's 2 yrs older is a step back to any chance to compete within the next 5 yrs if you ask me and thats what we should be doing

Lot of moving parts and much will depend on what new management thinks and does .
Agree with most of your post have to admit was worried EP had lost it and if he can get back to his top level answers a lot of those questions.
Honest thought need to get tougher both in skill and grit to really move up and thats trick.
I love Miller think hes got lots left but is definitely worth lots in trade .
Predictions on trade deadline?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Lot of moving parts and much will depend on what new management thinks and does .
Agree with most of your post have to admit was worried EP had lost it and if he can get back to his top level answers a lot of those questions.
Honest thought need to get tougher both in skill and grit to really move up and thats trick.
I love Miller think hes got lots left but is definitely worth lots in trade .
Predictions on trade deadline?
Were not trading anyone big were gonna make the playoffs is my prediction

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Got to consider the opposition but pretty good effort in the absence of Hughes. However, still too dependent on Demko

Good

Demko - could have been a different story if he wasn't outstanding in the first (and throughout actually). Very strong

Myers - controlled large parts of the game. People want to go after Myers and get on about him being on a bloated contract. But again and again this season he has been good value for it. Some like to use the occasional off game as the norm but those have usually occurred at the end of road trips where he has been played to death. Was the backbone of the defense in this game and good both ways

OEL - could make a case for him on the PP. Maybe the one area this year where Hughes hasn't excelled. Seems to have gotten beyond the nagging injury that was hurting his play and very good puck movement in this game

Boeser - best game in a while. Even before the goal was skating a lot better. You could almost have predicted a goal was coming. It was Arizona and they looked pretty shaky on the PK but still Boeser was good in this game

Garland - seemed to have in for the team that traded him away. Darting around and trouble for the Yotes all game.

Miller - just on the goal alone. Absolutely our best player and one of the best in the League. Canucks have to be looking for some way to keep him. You won't easily ever replaced such a player.

Motte - line missed Highmore but right now you can put Motte in any situation and he will deliver. Another the team must somehow keep.

Bad

Dickinson - per usual the weakest player. Chiasson, right now, is preferable. Only player, outside of Burroughs, that was a minus (and he was particularly awful covering his point on that shift). Not sure why Highmore was out but it is clearly Dickinson that should be sat out and I would say waived. (he won't be picked up) Only thing good about this player is okay is that his buy out isn't too harsh. Absolute rubbish.

Others

Burroughs - guy is plenty tough. Crouse wanted to tune him up but ended up getting a couple of hard shots to the jaw and some swollen knuckles after banging them off Burroughs' helmet. Went to the body well but confused coverage around the net put the team in trouble way too often

Juulsen - showed enough to have some hope. Nice play on the opening goal and made some decent play coming out of his end. But badly exposed by Keller's speed to the outside.

Hunt - ended up getting tied up in traffic too much. Has been playing a little better but could easily be called bad in this game. Sometimes making plays into too much of panic mode and passing was off.

Pettersson - game that gives you some sanguinity. Flashes of offensive brilliance on the goal and the clever pass to Boeser. Shots still flying high and wide, and likely as not to end up hitting anywheres along the end boards, but skating better and not so much on his butt. I'd say leave the line of Hoglander and Podkolzin together.

Horvat - scored but overall didn't do much and in fast moving game (as games across the League are getting to be) he wasn't always able to stay in the play. He is just not that valuable when compared to players like Miller, Motte, Garland etc.. He simply is not a good skater and the direction the team must move in, is to improve this.
Agree with most of this. I'd say this was a good game for Petey though. I missed the first but gor half of the 2nd and 3rd he looked like himself again. He did have a stretch where he coasted and looked like Petey of this season, but outside of that stretch, it was the most engaged I've seen him. Perhaps his 1st period was more of coasting Petey?

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Were not trading anyone big were gonna make the playoffs is my prediction

Ill ride with you on the optimism
Im curious what they will do but heard president on radio saying close to what you posted he must have a plan .

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
In a 7 game series i do not see him not getting worn down hes talented will put up points but in the war of attrition the NHL playoffs are im not sold besides the other issues not any of them should be untouchable for the right package .
How often do you see Hughes getting hit? The great skaters avoid it. And ideally we get to a point where we have another legit top 4 LHD on the team that can handle a big load effectively as well so Hughes isn’t playing 25 mins a night and more in the 22 range. You’d like to add a Chychrun type player as his teammate, not swap them.

(sorry to the OEL fans out there)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes. Sedins would literally dominate games, teams would go entire shifts just chasing them in the cycle. Kesler was also a two way beast, no player on this current team is the same.

Goes beyond just point totals. That 1-2 center punch was way tougher to play against than anything this team has had since then

Man I miss when this team was hated and hard to play against
lol i forgot to add "age" into my post (fixed it) which was in reference to we could still try to build out with Miller and Pettersson vs having it be Horvat and Pettersson.

Relating the players...Miller is pretty even with Kesler. You lose some D but get a better offensive player.

Pettersson has a LONG way to go but H.Sedin wasnt a pt per game player until 25/26. A bounce back year next year by Pettersson could close that gap significantly to a 25/26 Henrik.

I'm just struggling with Horvat he's looking like he's the one who is getting close to 30 and JT looks like he's 26. Not all players age and lose their wheels the same. JT reminds me very much of Marchand in build skating and the way he plays the game. Bo is starting to look like Mike Fisher when he was in Nashville.

Last edited:

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Yes. Sedins would literally dominate games, teams would go entire shifts just chasing them in the cycle. Kesler was also a two way beast, no player on this current team is the same.

Goes beyond just point totals. That 1-2 center punch was way tougher to play against than anything this team has had since then

I think Miller offers some of what kes did and maybe more talented offensively but those teams when twins kesler were prime were totally dominant and kelsler healthy was nasty to play against we need clones lol.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hughes is an elite player and as others said the best defenseman this org has ever had. He's pretty much Pat Kane playing defense. Does need to work on his shot though and learn to attack the net more but he's 22. Just enjoy the ride and hope he wants to stay. It's incredible how much he tilts the ice.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Fun game to be at.

The live experience is significantly better than it has been for a long time.

How was it in the building atmosphere seemed loud watching.
Man last game i saw live was in Toronto way too long ago lol jealous)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yep. At that 2 year peak, the Sedins were contending/winning the Art Ross and Hart trophies at the same time Kesler was a competing/winning the Selke while putting up 70+ points. Henrik and Kesler were also completely different players and one was a left handed shot and one was a right handed shot.

Reactions: Nucker101
Feb 19, 2018
How was it in the building atmosphere seemed loud watching.
Man last game i saw live was in Toronto way too long ago lol jealous)
Nearly Neal was there ripping it up in between! Crowd was buzzing tonight as there was lots to celebrate. I agree with the poster, new dj for sure and way better in game entertainment.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Nearly Neal was there ripping it up in between! Crowd was buzzing tonight as there was lots to celebrate. I agree with the poster, new dj for sure and way better in game entertainment.
Nice glad you enjoyed cheers)

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I didn’t get a chance to watch any of the game.

Noah Juulsen played 18 and 1/2 minutes. Aside from the 2 assists, how did he look?

Is there any chance at all he could develop into a 5th or 6th d-man for us?

He’s not a young guy, but has missed enough hockey that there could still be some untapped potential.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I really like the look of the PP with OEL at the top of the triangle. I think he runs it better than Hughes which is surprising to say. He's got a better shot and I think he tees up the puck better with his passes being easier for players to handle. When Hughes is up top I feel like he skates himself into trouble sometimes and then has to shovel passes to get them past checkers, and the moment it takes for people to settle the puck down let's the PK keep the pressure up and prevents the PP from really setting up.

Going forward I would try OEL at the top and Hughes in JT Miller's position on the left wall. Let Hughes rove around and attack the defenders. Put Miller down where Boeser has been and let him play in front of the net where he'd be hard to handle. Those short choppy passes that Miller likes to make could actually work well when he's making them down around the goal crease.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
booing roussel i don’t like

booing eriksson is like when gino beat up jason strudwick, maybe a little mean but necessary for the collective good

nah, I’m firmly in the camp that booing former players because they weren’t efficient against the cap is petty. Not a great look for fans in Vancouver. It is not good in any respect and it won’t help bring players to Vancouver or convince the ones the Canucks want to keep to resign.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
nah, I’m firmly in the camp that booing former players because they weren’t efficient against the cap is petty. Not a great look for fans in Vancouver. It is not good in any respect and it won’t help bring players to Vancouver or convince the ones the Canucks want to keep to resign.
I think Loui understands the sentiment and is probably just glad he’s enormously wealthy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I agree when it comes to guys like Beagle and Roussel who had terrible contracts but did show up and play hard as Canucks. I have no hard feelings there except to Benning for giving them their stupid deals. They seem like good guys and I wish them all the best.

Loui Eriksson is a different story. The reports that he was the last guy to arrive at practice and first to leave and never put in extra work while being the team's highest-paid player were galling. He deserves the boos.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Lol no if i was his owner id probably be asking same questions id ask my kid same ones responsibility during a season should be serious and taken as such

If we learned one thing during this pandemic.... Family and friends and being able to take time for yourself is as important or more so than your obligation to your employer.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I really like the look of the PP with OEL at the top of the triangle. I think he runs it better than Hughes which is surprising to say. He's got a better shot and I think he tees up the puck better with his passes being easier for players to handle. When Hughes is up top I feel like he skates himself into trouble sometimes and then has to shovel passes to get them past checkers, and the moment it takes for people to settle the puck down let's the PK keep the pressure up and prevents the PP from really setting up.

Going forward I would try OEL at the top and Hughes in JT Miller's position on the left wall. Let Hughes rove around and attack the defenders. Put Miller down where Boeser has been and let him play in front of the net where he'd be hard to handle. Those short choppy passes that Miller likes to make could actually work well when he's making them down around the goal crease.
Yeah I'd try that. Horvat can slip down to PP2.

What I really liked about OEL on one of the PPs was when he realized there were three Canucks forwards in the line of sight of the goalie, so OEL quickly rotated to the middle with the puck and flung it on net. Didn't take a muffin slapper or stickhandled himself into danger like Quinn might do on the PP - got it on net with a good screen and it deflected off Horvat for a goal.

Reactions: sting101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad