Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Coyotes - 5-1 (Garland, Horvat, Pettersson, Miller, Boeser)

Favourite #21 memory?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I didn’t get a chance to watch any of the game.

Noah Juulsen played 18 and 1/2 minutes. Aside from the 2 assists, how did he look?

Is there any chance at all he could develop into a 5th or 6th d-man for us?

He’s not a young guy, but has missed enough hockey that there could still be some untapped potential.
Didnt totally stand out (in a good way)...good passer..Only blemish on the night was that he was beaten on the outside by Clayton Keller (who has some serious wheels)..Demko made the save.

Considering how little he has played in the NHL this season..the 18.25 of ice was commendable...If he keeps up the good play I see no reason why he couldn't be a 5th or 6th (or 7th) D man for the Canucks, although its still a small sample size so far.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Yeah I'd try that. Horvat can slip down to PP2.

What I really liked about OEL on one of the PPs was when he realized there were three Canucks forwards in the line of sight of the goalie, so OEL quickly rotated to the middle with the puck and flung it on net. Didn't take a muffin slapper or stickhandled himself into danger like Quinn might do on the PP - got it on net with a good screen and it deflected off Horvat for a goal.

Yeah, OEL plays a more simple game on the PP which I think is easier for his teammates to react to. Also, can you imagine the looks Pettersson would get with OEL sliding passes over from the point or Hughes opening up lanes skating up and down the left wall? I'd like Hughes to try and emulate what Pat Kane does on the PP.

Reactions: sting101

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Should have been a dominating game for the Canucks in every aspect.

The win was a given, over 20 points up on Arizona, a team obviously tanking.

But it ended up being a goalie duo and Arizona ain't 22 ts behind the Nux because they are getting Demko type goaltending

Arizona dominated the Canucks for extended periods

The win is a good thing no doubt, but up in the rafters decisions were being made.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I really like the look of the PP with OEL at the top of the triangle. I think he runs it better than Hughes which is surprising to say. He's got a better shot and I think he tees up the puck better with his passes being easier for players to handle. When Hughes is up top I feel like he skates himself into trouble sometimes and then has to shovel passes to get them past checkers, and the moment it takes for people to settle the puck down let's the PK keep the pressure up and prevents the PP from really setting up.

Going forward I would try OEL at the top and Hughes in JT Miller's position on the left wall. Let Hughes rove around and attack the defenders. Put Miller down where Boeser has been and let him play in front of the net where he'd be hard to handle. Those short choppy passes that Miller likes to make could actually work well when he's making them down around the goal crease.
i have been saying this for awhile but the issue that seemed to arise is that Hughes would/was staying up top and OEL ended up in Petterssons spot. I like OEL up top though and i do question moving Hughes to a shooting position but as a rover it could really help change the angles and disrupt some of the static positioning. Miller is the best option in front for sure but at least Boeser has scored 3 deflection goals lately and seems to be getting a knack for it at last. I've been beating that drum for years as we really need better net front work and it seems to be coming around a bit with Boudreau.

Maybe the best option is to lose Horvat as he sucks at deflections and only scored last night because OEL ripped it off his knee and he lucked into that one. Miller could take the bumper as he's got good hands for deflections and that leaves Boeser trolling around the net for one timers backdoor and tip rebounds etc

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
If we learned one thing during this pandemic.... Family and friends and being able to take time for yourself is as important or more so than your obligation to your employer.

I agree and would never say thats not true and that alone means make smart decisions to limit chances im social hate this crap but stop and consider safest best ways to limit chances i get or pass on the virus .

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I agree when it comes to guys like Beagle and Roussel who had terrible contracts but did show up and play hard as Canucks. I have no hard feelings there except to Benning for giving them their stupid deals. They seem like good guys and I wish them all the best.

Loui Eriksson is a different story. The reports that he was the last guy to arrive at practice and first to leave and never put in extra work while being the team's highest-paid player were galling. He deserves the boos.

Sums up my feelings too. No ill will to Roussel and Beagle.

I don’t think I’d boo Eriksson, but I wouldn’t cheer his return either. I don’t blame people for booing him given the reasons MS listed above, though.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah, Rous and Beagle always played hard here, their legs just couldn't keep up anymore. Not their fault that Benning overpaid, both seemed like good teammates.

Loui deserved the boo's, the guy just sulked and floated arounds too many times.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Was nice to see Podz not taking any nonsense and standing up for himself against Jacob Chychrun..(who isn’t a small dude)..

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yeah, Rous and Beagle always played hard here, their legs just couldn't keep up anymore. Not their fault that Benning overpaid, both seemed like good teammates.

Loui deserved the boo's, the guy just sulked and floated arounds too many times.
Rous actually played above his pay grade his first season as a Canuck. Then his body fell apart.

Beagle's body had fallen apart before he even wore the Canucks jersey and/or he wasn't really any good (at least to the point of getting the contract that Benning so generously gave him with a bloody NTC as the icing on the cake).

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Yea Rous was worth every penny of his contract that first year. And then some. Surplus value. His leg injury really ruined his form, which was too bad. He took some dumb penalties but at least he could be counted on to get his team into a game when they looked lifeless. I wouldn’t lump Rous into the same tier of Loui, Guddy and Beagle signings, which were disasters from the get go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad