Value of: Canucks contract(s) to NJ Devils

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
I mean as I said Sutter at 2.1 for one yr is a good bottom 6 player this would improve many teams. The return can be nothing, just looking to not shed a prospect in the deal.
We have enough bottom pair D. We aren’t going to help you for another one

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
We have enough bottom pair D. We aren’t going to help you for another one
Sutter is a forward. Can play center or wing. His play is totally fine in the bottom 6 but his best attribute to the devils would be his leadership and professionalism for your young fwds.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Sutter is a forward. Can play center or wing. His play is totally fine in the bottom 6 but his best attribute to the devils would be his leadership and professionalism for your young fwds.
Regardless we aren’t taking a 4th line forward than for $2mil to help Vancouver out

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
the Devils have cap space, but they aren't swimming in it as much as they were a week ago after adding Murray, Crawford, and Johnsson (~$12 million between the three of them). They have ~$18 million right now and they need to re-sign Bratt and Blackwood. I figure those two combined will probably get ~$6-7 million between the two of them, so they are down to $11-12 million in space. There are some rumblings that they have an internal cap from one of the Devils writers, but no real hard evidence either way.

Keep in mind that the Devils still need to add another DMan in all likelihood, even if you assume Ty Smith is going to make the team. As of right now, even with Smith, Connor Carrick would be one of the 6 regular DMen and yeah that is no bueno.

So long story short, they have space, but I don't really have much interest in taking a cap dump unless it is really worth our while. Virtanen intrigues me a little bit, but not as much now that they acquired Johnsson
they only have 15m, if you consider potential bonuses to be paid. 15m with 7/8 contracts to sign to fill out the roster. there is not a lot of wiggle room. i think fitz rushed things a little with the johnsson trade. there could have been better options available.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Regardless we aren’t taking a 4th line forward than for $2mil to help Vancouver out
He would be of help to many teams. Did we help out Vegas in taking Schmidt? Yup but we also beat the rest of the league to a top player for pennies on the dollar. I don't need to force it down your throat but he is a player that contributes and would especially on a young team. I would imagine someone would take him if we retained 50%.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I mean as I said Sutter at 2.1 for one yr is a good bottom 6 player this would improve many teams. The return can be nothing, just looking to not shed a prospect in the deal.
Helpful or not Vancouver would be paying to cut his full or retained salary, if moved before the season

Only time youd move him without a down payment is at the deadline if he plays above his average

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He would be of help to many teams. Did we help out Vegas in taking Schmidt? Yup but we also beat the rest of the league to a top player for pennies on the dollar. I don't need to force it down your throat but he is a player that contributes and would especially on a young team. I would imagine someone would take him if we retained 50%.
Schmidt is an excellent top 4 dman and Sutter is just a terrible player that contributes negative value.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
I don’t want him. Sounds like Other devils fans don’t want him. Best of luck to you giving him to another team. Using Schmidt as a comparison is comparing apples to snorkel equipment. You aren’t even in the same category

Reactions: Guttersniped

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Virtanen is far from a cap dump, even in this current market. 15 goals from a 3rd line winger who has speed, size, throws some hits and has decent possession stats, those guys definitely bring value to a team.

Sutter, Benn, Baertschi and the rest are trash and pure dumps at their cap hits, although Sutter at 50% isn't too bad of a cap dump to take on, he's still a decent role player who can PK when healthy but his soft tissue injuries are piling up. He's the type of player who has no value right now at even 50% but would probably be able to fetch a later round draft pick at the TDL if he's at 50% of his cap hit. Coaches always want an extra veteran capable of playing responsible defensively/PK'ing at center ice.

Reactions: Guttersniped

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Virtanen is a dime a dozen player, generic bottom-6 player. The only reason people try to attach value to him is because of his draft position. Even in a normal market I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd or C prospect for him. With the way things are now, he'd have to be essentially free.

Even then, he'd be competing for 3rd line duties with guys like Wood, Boqvist, and Zacha. I'm not convinced he's better than any of them.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Virtanen is a dime a dozen player, generic bottom-6 player. The only reason people try to attach value to him is because of his draft position. Even in a normal market I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd or C prospect for him. With the way things are now, he'd have to be essentially free.

Even then, he'd be competing for 3rd line duties with guys like Wood, Boqvist, and Zacha. I'm not convinced he's better than any of them.

Would Virtanen for Wood work, or Pearson

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I don’t want him. Sounds like Other devils fans don’t want him. Best of luck to you giving him to another team. Using Schmidt as a comparison is comparing apples to snorkel equipment. You aren’t even in the same category
The point was a counter to your idea that it is just doing the Canucks a favor, the reality is Sutter at 2 mil helps many teams, just as Schmidt at 6 helps the Canucks. Hell if Sutter just made 2 mil we wouldn't be talking trade unless it was for a 3rd round pick.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Schmidt is an excellent top 4 dman and Sutter is just a terrible player that contributes negative value.
Totally serviceable bottom 6 player. Defensively sound and great leader. Easily enough qualities to garner 2 mil cap hit. Wasn't comparing him to Schmidt as a player, as you well know, but to the "doing us a favor" by taking him theory.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Helpful or not Vancouver would be paying to cut his full or retained salary, if moved before the season

Only time youd move him without a down payment is at the deadline if he plays above his average
If we retain 50% I don't think he would cost anything to move. That is from the perspective that if he made 2 mil we'd be happy to keep him as he can contribute in a few different ways.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Totally serviceable bottom 6 player. Defensively sound and great leader. Easily enough qualities to garner 2 mil cap hit. Wasn't comparing him to Schmidt as a player, as you well know, but to the "doing us a favor" by taking him theory.
Overwhelmingly negative impact player with a terrible contract. No upside to taking him without a big sweetener.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
If we retain 50% I don't think he would cost anything to move. That is from the perspective that if he made 2 mil we'd be happy to keep him as he can contribute in a few different ways.
Schmidt cost a 3rd, Murray cost a 5th, AJ cost Joey Anderson (so basically nothing) all of those players have WAY more value than Sutter. Teams know Vancouver has to move cap, no one is going to take Sutters cap “because he’s a good leader”. Vancouver is going to have to pony up assets to move cap

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Virtanen is far from a cap dump, even in this current market. 15 goals from a 3rd line winger who has speed, size, throws some hits and has decent possession stats, those guys definitely bring value to a team.

Sutter, Benn, Baertschi and the rest are trash and pure dumps at their cap hits, although Sutter at 50% isn't too bad of a cap dump to take on, he's still a decent role player who can PK when healthy but his soft tissue injuries are piling up. He's the type of player who has no value right now at even 50% but would probably be able to fetch a later round draft pick at the TDL if he's at 50% of his cap hit. Coaches always want an extra veteran capable of playing responsible defensively/PK'ing at center ice.
virtanen can't be a cap dump. he has no contract. if you don't want him, just don't sign him.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad