Value of: Canucks contract(s) to NJ Devils

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
NJ Devils have quite a bit of cap space, 5D signed and 9F. They have to sign Blackwood and Bratt but after that they got cap room.

Canucks need to shed salary, so cost is minimal to acquire these players with retention an option also for a lesser cost.

Canucks available to NJ: Sutter, Roussel, Virtanen, Benn, Baertschi, dare I say Loui E....

Virtanen is an RFA who is going to arbitration, could be send him and someone else from the above line for a pick or prospect?

Basically, what would NJ Devil fans offer or want in return to take on any of the above contracts?

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Look what players who AREN’T cap dumps are going for. You want to dump salary I think it’s going to cost something so outrages that I’ll be ostracized for saying it. Personally i think someone like Loui in this day in age costs you guys Boeser. The aforementioned players you said are also dumps to a lesser extent. In today’s flat cap covid world Virtanen is not valuable enough to dump cap.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
New Jersey has about 5-6 million in space so they aren't flush with cash. They are likely not taking on any bad contracts and I doubt that was ever in play. There was an athletic article I think from Custance that said that they weren't looking at cap dumps and so far, they have held to that. My guess is what they want is good young players for super cheap that have been squeezed out. They may have interest in Virtanen, but I doubt that they have anyone else and I doubt that they would offer much more for Virtanen than they did for Johnsson

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Virtanen Sutter Benn and 2021 4th for Severson and 2022 2nd

200.gif

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
What do the devils need? I'm guessing they are probably out the "we need as many picks and young prospects" stage, and are now looking to fill out their depth chart. Canucks do have a few NHL ready prospects and young guys who could help, depending on NJ needs. To me a guy like Benn would be the one that is reasonable to dump. 1 yr @ 2mill serviceable bottom pair D. If we have a young asset that fills a hole for them, Benn is not a major hit to add. Anyone with more than 1 year left will cost too much to move.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Would not trade Severson as the team gets better so will his game....and he's signed at a good value....

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
There would need to be a good sweetener for the Devils to take on basically any of those names.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
There would need to be a good sweetener for the Devils to take on basically any of those names.

Depends on what contract is going back, but since we got Schmidt on the cheap I would be willing to give up something to clear cap room and basically take that value added to remove a contract and just make it an add on for getting Schmidt since it only costed a 3rd rounder

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Devils have no reason to take on cap dumps

They have plenty of draft capital and a ton of prospects. Only players NJ are interested in are Virtanen types, younger guys who are expendable due to teams cap crunches

No poor play, cap dump players will be going to NJ. they are past that point of the rebuild. thats more for the Detroit Ottawa types

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Keep your cap space. The cap space panic alarm is going off now with NYI and Vegas dumping very good players.
You may just end up with Sergachev
I love the Serg comment! :thumbu:
But I think Van, Vegas still and Tor need to lighten up to various degrees

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
NJ Devils have quite a bit of cap space, 5D signed and 9F. They have to sign Blackwood and Bratt but after that they got cap room.

Canucks need to shed salary, so cost is minimal to acquire these players with retention an option also for a lesser cost.

Canucks available to NJ: Sutter, Roussel, Virtanen, Benn, Baertschi, dare I say Loui E....

Virtanen is an RFA who is going to arbitration, could be send him and someone else from the above line for a pick or prospect?

Basically, what would NJ Devil fans offer or want in return to take on any of the above contracts?
Are Woo and Lind part of the pkg of potential assets, if not probably no interest.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
No interest in taking your trash, but I’d take Virtanen for a late pick if you have difficulty off-loading said trash elsewhere, and you’re stuck with it.

That type of deal won’t be agreed upon on a message board though, so it isn’t really worth the discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad