Value of: Canucks contract(s) to NJ Devils

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Sutter + Virtanen for future considerations is ideal, but doubt Jersey goes for that. Maybe with retention on Sutter they would.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Depends on what contract is going back, but since we got Schmidt on the cheap I would be willing to give up something to clear cap room and basically take that value added to remove a contract and just make it an add on for getting Schmidt since it only costed a 3rd rounder

That’s the thing...Schmidt wasn’t even close cap dump player and Vegas still only got a 3rd rounder. Most of these names are more or less dumps so if Vancouver really needs to shed them, they are really going to need to sweeten the pot.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Are Woo and Lind part of the pkg of potential assets, if not probably no interest.

Yes they would be, basically depending on what bad contract is going back any prospect is likely on the board, Podkolzin being the least likely to be moved.

You have to give up something to clear cap. Canucks if they can move cap can go and sign someone at a cheaper rate to fill the same hole

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
We'll give you a 5th for Virtanen.....done deal
What about Mercer. :help:

I would love to pluck Severson out of NJ. Sounds like NJ fans feel his value is much higher then we would probably be willing to pay lol. I was thinking maybe Lind, Rafferty, and a 3rd/Sutter.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
That’s the thing...Schmidt wasn’t even close cap dump player and Vegas still only got a 3rd rounder. Most of these names are more or less dumps so if Vancouver really needs to shed them, they are really going to need to sweeten the pot.

Of course they will, and they should seriously think about doing it too...all comes down to what the PLUS would be. Not getting a 1st for a 1yr contract dump

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In this market I wouldn't be willing to give up more than a 4th + C prospect for Virtanen.

NJ has the space to take cap dumbs but not as much space as they had a week ago. Certainly won't be taking anything with term. If you have an expiring contract you need to dump for immediate cap relief then we can certainly take your hands with the appropriate sweetener.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Yes they would be, basically depending on what bad contract is going back any prospect is likely on the board, Podkolzin being the least likely to be moved.

You have to give up something to clear cap. Canucks if they can move cap can go and sign someone at a cheaper rate to fill the same hole

I'd be very interested in Rathbone.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario

I would love to pluck Severson out of NJ. Sounds like NJ fans feel his value is much higher then we would probably be willing to pay lol. I was thinking maybe Lind, Rafferty, and a 3rd/Sutter.

Part of why Severson's value is so high for us is because our defence is horrible. He's literally our best dman which isn't saying much.
Can't see us parting with Severson until some of our younger D kids are more proven (Smith, Walsh, Bahl, Okhotyuk, etc.)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Sutter only has one year left at 4.4 or something close to that. I think he has some value as a defensive player and a vet. I could see Sutter and a good pick/prospect making some sense to the Devils or any team below them on the cap space chart. I think the Devils could make things interesting this year so he wouldn’t be wasted on them. Gain a good asset and he’ll likely add something defensively in the bottom six for a team on the way back up but not really a threat yet. It’s only this year so it doesn’t hurt the future.

If the Canucks are that screwed someone will pay to get Virtanen. Maybe not that much but something.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Part of why Severson's value is so high for us is because our defence is horrible. He's literally our best dman which isn't saying much.
Can't see us parting with Severson until some of our younger D kids are more proven (Smith, Walsh, Bahl, Okhotyuk, etc.)
Smith is a beauty. I would be jelly if we didn't have Quinn. That kid could be something special.

Reactions: Smitty426

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

you arent getting a top-20 pick just made this year for Virtanen

Not to mention the reason theyd move him is because they have to, not because they were asked to

Severson would cost you too much and Vancouver doesn't have much in the way of high-end defensive prospects, so Boeser would be the only option for NJ and that wont happen

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Sutter only has one year left at 4.4 or something close to that. I think he has some value as a defensive player and a vet. I could see Sutter and a good pick/prospect making some sense to the Devils or any team below them on the cap space chart. I think the Devils could make things interesting this year so he wouldn’t be wasted on them. Gain a good asset and he’ll likely add something defensively in the bottom six for a team on the way back up but not really a threat yet. It’s only this year so it doesn’t hurt the future.

If the Canucks are that screwed someone will pay to get Virtanen. Maybe not that much but something.

Would Sutter waive his NTC to come to Jersey? At 31 years old, he's probably not looking to join a rebuilding team like ours.

Sutter, Rathbone, 2021 2nd for cap space works for me.....

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Would Sutter waive his NTC to come to Jersey? At 31 years old, he's probably not looking to join a rebuilding team like ours.

Sutter, Rathbone, 2021 2nd for cap space works for me.....
A fair rebuttal for sure, who knows that he would be willing to waive but everyone is acting like the thought behind this thread is inconceivable. It’s not. Both teams could get something they want out of it. The marketplace is constantly changing. Just because Schmidt went for a third doesn’t mean someone wouldn’t take Sutter with a prospect if they have some room. It makes sense to do it if you’re in the right spot. Detroit just did it with Staal. That to me is the comparable here, it only took a second and Staal makes more money. Both are ufa after this season.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Most teams would be all over getting Severson from the Devils.....Devils fans are way too hard on him.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad