Value of: Canucks contract(s) to NJ Devils

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
What is the Value of Sutter say between 50% retained? He is a good leader and decent player with only a yr left. That would save us 2 mil in cap, and I don't think it would require a sweetener. Sutter is worth 2.5 as a players and mentor on a young team.

Any interest from the devils?

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
What is the Value of Sutter say between 50% retained? He is a good leader and decent player with only a yr left. That would save us 2 mil in cap, and I don't think it would require a sweetener. Sutter is worth 2.5 as a players and mentor on a young team.

No. Like it’s been said cap dumps are going to cost a fortune. Valuable players are getting nothing, no one is going to help out any team just because. If a team is in trouble and needs to dump cap there is no escaping it unharmed

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
One year cap dumps I don't think would affect the Devil's too badly.

Not they should take them as a charity case, but it is an easy way to accrue good talent/assets in this situation without taking a back breaking contract.

Reactions: Smitty426

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Personally I think the Devils are beyond the point where they should be taking bad contracts from other teams. That’s for teams early in a rebuild imo.

Rebuild? I thought Shero was building a contender with Hall, Subban, Hughes and Hirshier... oh wait

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Rebuild? I thought Shero was building a contender with Hall, Subban, Hughes and Hirshier... oh wait

upload_2020-10-13_17-24-59.gif

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

member 328930

Would NJ take a B prospect for him? A Kole Lind? What would NJ require to take Louie?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Rebuilding is what happens after you have a decade of success!

Not that id expect a Ranger fan to know about that :sarcasm:

Devils are past the point of taking dead cap dumps

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
One year cap dumps I don't think would affect the Devil's too badly.

Not they should take them as a charity case, but it is an easy way to accrue good talent/assets in this situation without taking a back breaking contract.
We only have about 5-6m to spare after signing RFAs to their likely deals - NJ is saving that space for a Cernak-type, not a Eriksson or Sutter type

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We only have about 5-6m to spare after signing RFAs to their likely deals - NJ is saving that space for a Cernak-type, not a Eriksson or Sutter type
Bingo! Teams with cap space are going to be looking for more Schmidt for peanuts deals from teams who are needing to shed cap/salary. They aren't going to line up to pay Erkisson and eat his contract for a mediocre prospect.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Teams are not going to dump a contract without feeling major pain on the prospect or pick side.

The longer Fitzgerald waits, the better off he'll be.
i wouldn't have any issues with keeping the cap space available for the next off-season. i expect even more desparate teams looking to shed unwanted contracts from their pay roll.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Take our trash, New Jersey. TAKE OUR TRASH.

- OP

Yes...we need to shed salary, so moving someone out is the only way. People thinking LE will retire, that won't happen he will drag us down to the bitter end.

We need to ship out at least 1 contract, maybe it is Pearson who had a career year last year... recoup a 3rd in 2022 in moving him?

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Would Sutter waive his NTC to come to Jersey? At 31 years old, he's probably not looking to join a rebuilding team like ours.

Sutter, Rathbone, 2021 2nd for cap space works for me.....
With a promise to Sutter to move him elsewhere, Fitzy's got some magic, use it!

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Erikssons contract would be that kind back breaker I'm saying shouldn't be considered.

But if all other RFAs are signed and holes are filled, and all other options are exhausted, taking one year of a Sutteresque (one year, very overpaid but not entirely useless as a player) contract for picks, or prospects, or a young player, is what I'm advocating.

If we had the cap space I'd want Vancouver to take this approach as well.

If Cernak (or a similar RFA) is available for trade or open to an offer sheet, then forget what I'm saying then. That would be a far better investment.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Would NJ take a B prospect for him? A Kole Lind? What would NJ require to take Louie?
two years of louie would be your next three first round picks without any protection or something equally valuable. preferable in more quality than quantity. and boeser isn't that piece.

member 328930

Astronomical, if I'm being honest. And that's just Sutter.

There is no reason for us to take one of your dead-weight contracts when we could conceivably poach Virtanen on the cheap, due to said dead-weight contracts.

But taking a guy like Sutter, in the final year of his deal.....for Virtanen, that's not enough? What do you think they'd deal Virtanen to you for?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad