Value of: Canucks contract(s) to NJ Devils

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't think the Devils staff would like Virtanen for precisely the reasons VAN fans don't.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
IF Canucks can move LE it will be 50% retained and sweeteners on top of that. I think Sutter, Sven, Benn or Roussel are easier options to move.

Pearson might be someone that can be moved also, should garner some interest as he just had a career year and won't cost much to get

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Woo and Lind, Sven and Sutter for not a bunch, (3rd/4th in '21). Based on what just happened in Vegas/Van. I mean you guys had it drop in your lap, now you know what its like on the other side.
That’s terribad, that’s 7.7m of salary in those two forwards. You think this will happen, with NJ giving a pick for some reason?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
With Zaitsev getting closer to being NHL ready, and Ohkotyuk and now Shak M in the Devils pipeline, a package that included the rights to Triamkin might be intriguing.

Juolevi or Brogan Rafferty could also fit in NJ but moving them wouldn't help with Canucks cap issues and not sure what the Canucks would want in return.

Devilinlillinois

Jun 5, 2015
NJ Devils have quite a bit of cap space, 5D signed and 9F. They have to sign Blackwood and Bratt but after that they got cap room.

Canucks need to shed salary, so cost is minimal to acquire these players with retention an option also for a lesser cost.

Canucks available to NJ: Sutter, Roussel, Virtanen, Benn, Baertschi, dare I say Loui E....

Virtanen is an RFA who is going to arbitration, could be send him and someone else from the above line for a pick or prospect?

Basically, what would NJ Devil fans offer or want in return to take on any of the above contracts?

Eh we still need to resign Bratt, Merkley, and Blackwood even though Capfriendly says we have about 18million in cap space that can fade pretty quickly it really have to be something coming with one of them to be worth New Jersey time to take them.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
That’s terribad, that’s 7.7m of salary in those two forwards. You think this will happen, with NJ giving a pick for some reason?
Quite honestly I did not want to get flamed from Vn fans, trying to ease into it. My thought is that Fitz moves both players from our side to get something. The Schmidt deal turned everything upside down huh?

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
What would it cost to just take Jamie Benn? He's basically a #7 guy at this point but overpaid at $2m.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Quite honestly I did not want to get flamed from Vn fans, trying to ease into it. My thought is that Fitz moves both players from our side to get something. The Schmidt deal turned everything upside down huh?
I don’t see the Devils taking cap dumps, meaning garbage players they don’t want, now. It’s have to be a cap casualty like Johnsson. Plus, wow, that’s a lot of salary. No one taking any, it’s cap Armageddon. That’s why there clearly wasn’t exactly a bidding war for Schmidt. So, while this is a fantasy board, 7.7m is a little too fanciful for me.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If Vancouver wants to move LE or any other cap dumps, expect to give a bluechip prospect (Podkolzin) or a 1st for future considerations.

The fact that you guys are also interested in Gallagher just drives the price higher, knowing that giving you cap relief will help you improve your team with a secondary trade right after.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
No. Like it’s been said cap dumps are going to cost a fortune. Valuable players are getting nothing, no one is going to help out any team just because. If a team is in trouble and needs to dump cap there is no escaping it unharmed
I mean as I said Sutter at 2.1 for one yr is a good bottom 6 player this would improve many teams. The return can be nothing, just looking to not shed a prospect in the deal.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the Devils have cap space, but they aren't swimming in it as much as they were a week ago after adding Murray, Crawford, and Johnsson (~$12 million between the three of them). They have ~$18 million right now and they need to re-sign Bratt and Blackwood. I figure those two combined will probably get ~$6-7 million between the two of them, so they are down to $11-12 million in space. There are some rumblings that they have an internal cap from one of the Devils writers, but no real hard evidence either way.

Keep in mind that the Devils still need to add another DMan in all likelihood, even if you assume Ty Smith is going to make the team. As of right now, even with Smith, Connor Carrick would be one of the 6 regular DMen and yeah that is no bueno.

So long story short, they have space, but I don't really have much interest in taking a cap dump unless it is really worth our while. Virtanen intrigues me a little bit, but not as much now that they acquired Johnsson

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
IF Canucks can move LE it will be 50% retained and sweeteners on top of that. I think Sutter, Sven, Benn or Roussel are easier options to move.

Pearson might be someone that can be moved also, should garner some interest as he just had a career year and won't cost much to get
I agree they can all contribute at 50% retained should be workable. Sven maybe not but that more because of perception I think hes NHL quality.

Reactions: Canuck86

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
the Devils have cap space, but they aren't swimming in it as much as they were a week ago after adding Murray, Crawford, and Johnsson (~$12 million between the three of them). They have ~$18 million right now and they need to re-sign Bratt and Blackwood. I figure those two combined will probably get ~$6-7 million between the two of them, so they are down to $11-12 million in space. There are some rumblings that they have an internal cap from one of the Devils writers, but no real hard evidence either way.

Keep in mind that the Devils still need to add another DMan in all likelihood, even if you assume Ty Smith is going to make the team. As of right now, even with Smith, Connor Carrick would be one of the 6 regular DMen and yeah that is no bueno.

So long story short, they have space, but I don't really have much interest in taking a cap dump unless it is really worth our while. Virtanen intrigues me a little bit, but not as much now that they acquired Johnsson
Jordie Benn interest you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad