Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce Abbotsford Canucks as AHL Farm Team

What should the team be called?

• Total voters

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Aviators is actually a really good name that both sounds good/flows well and has a nice tie-in to the area.

This, of course, means there's probably zero chance it's chosen as they go for something stupid and trendy to try attracting younger fans. Abbotsford Yeet, incoming.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Aviators is actually a really good name that both sounds good/flows well and has a nice tie-in to the area.

This, of course, means there's probably zero chance it's chosen as they go for something stupid and trendy to try attracting younger fans. Abbotsford Yeet, incoming.

That was the top choice before the team was called the Heat but was obviously rejected.

Could still go with Aviators but it's a pair of sunglasses. I'm also surprised you know what yeet is. :D

Reactions: mossey3535

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think there's a chance that the team is named after something with Northwest/First Nations connections and keeping with the Canucks colour scheme. I do like the Aviators name.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

My kids would be over the moon with the Abbotsford Yeet. :laugh: They'd have team merch flowing out of their ears.

(my sons, for reference, are 11 and 8)

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Abbotsford Guardians (Johnny canuck led the guardians of the northern lights, so this would play in with the vancouver canucks)

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
How many trips to Abbotsford will yall be making next season, to go see a team where the only legit prospects are a goalie and a defensive dman (Dipietro and Woo) - backed up by a team full of echlers?

I'm thinking the novelty will wear off rather quickly
Who else is graduating to the A next year for us?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How many trips to Abbotsford will yall be making next season, to go see a team where the only legit prospects are a goalie and a defensive dman (Dipietro and Woo) - backed up by a team full of echlers?

I'm thinking the novelty will wear off rather quickly

Local hockey teams have their followings. If the tickets are affordable, those living in the Fraser Valley and have kids might find it a fun night out.

Chances are Kole Lind and Gadjovich would be there. Pragmatically, the popularity of the team in Abbotsford is likely not much of a concern for the Canucks. That's likely more of the City's concern.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Who else is graduating to the A next year for us?

Virtually nothing.

Ethan Keppen (if signed and if not returned for his overage year)
Arturs Silovs (who technically is in the AHL this year, loaned to the Moose)
Arvid Costmar (if signed, which seems unlikely right now)

... are the only possibilities, and Silovs as the backup goalie is the only one that's really likely.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
it really is in alignment with how little thought they put into things. It’s just deep, Abbotsford is close to Vancouver, therefore it’s best! They are such stupid, simple minded and myopic people.
"they"?- You mean most of the nhl right ?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Virtually nothing.

... are the only possibilities, and Silovs as the backup goalie is the only one that's really likely.
Oh wow that sucks, let’s hope the CHL agreement gets changed and some of this year’s picks can go to the A.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Virtually nothing.

You typically get the 2019 and some late birthdays from the 2020 draft headed to the A. Or some college guys from 2018.

2019 top 2 guys, Podkolzin and Hogs will be in the nhl. Focht already there now. And they have ncaa guys like Malone and McDonaugh returning to the ncaa. Aside from Keppan there’s no one from 2019 who is scheduled to go there.

2020, Persson the Swedish Dman from round 7 could make the move but he’s likely better moving up a level in Sweden. Think all of the other European players remain there next season as well.

2018 class don’t think there are any lingering ncaa guys turning pro.

maybe Karlsson comes over. But given that he hasn’t reached the top level in Sweden I doubt he would make the move over.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Its good to have them close, but as long as Benning is around, its going to be a toxic atmosphere with a lot of people refusing to support a farm team if its going to continue to be ran by total morons from top to bottom. Probably should have left them on the other side of the continent- where by comparison to us around Van, they rarely get a wiff of Bennings putrid managing, or lack there of
Hello. I'm looking for as many reasons as possible to believe this is a bad idea and have set broad limits on how sensible or realistic I need these reasons to be.

Reactions: lousy

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Management morons aside, if that’s possible...

Considering Calgary is once again burning bridges with an affiliate and Edmonton... with Bakersfield... and even consider the possibility that not all the permits are ready in the Palm Desert area.

What are the chances of a 3-4 team cluster in the area? Does that take the sting out of travel?

After all, the notion of a bus league through traffic-riddled California urban areas was kind of funny in the first place. Plus Abbotsford is apparently 15 boxes and 20 private suites better than Long Beach.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Management morons aside, if that’s possible...

Considering Calgary is once again burning bridges with an affiliate and Edmonton... with Bakersfield... and even consider the possibility that not all the permits are ready in the Palm Desert area.

What are the chances of a 3-4 team cluster in the area? Does that take the sting out of travel?

After all, the notion of a bus league through traffic-riddled California urban areas was kind of funny in the first place. Plus Abbotsford is apparently 15 boxes and 20 private suites better than Long Beach.

Currently the Flames' AHL team is playing out of Calgary right? There's also talk about Edmonton moving their affiliate to Canada. If that happens I wonder if it's better to have a Canadian division or a west coast division.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
There's a 50-50 chance that this team crashes and burns. I hate to say it, but that's what it is. Any team that isn't the Canucks can and has gone into the toilet .

Reactions: mathonwy

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
There's a 50-50 chance that this team crashes and burns. I hate to say it, but that's what it is. Any team that isn't the Canucks can and has gone into the toilet .

The Giants have survived for a pretty good while - and been successful, at that.

Fraser Valley also supports a lot of Junior A/Junior B and Academy hockey; I do think there's a market there - the Heat were destined to fail in a Canuck heavy market. But a Canucks' farm team might prove fruitful.

All that said - I think the move to Abbotsford is being done largely in consideration of the ongoing pandemic, and the Canucks' issues recalling/re-assigning players across the border. Longer term, I could see the Canucks looking south to the West Coast of the United States.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
IMO this move makes a lot of sense for the Canucks.

Reactions: lousy

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'll check them out a few times a year for sure. There's certainly an appetite for more Canucks related content here and I'd expect the team should get plenty of support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad