Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce Abbotsford Canucks as AHL Farm Team

What should the team be called?

• Total voters

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Something around the Abbotsford Pilots would be interesting - especially if they could incorporate this fan mock-up into it somehow;

View attachment 429849
o.jpg

The team could go for a bite here after games. Maybe eat for free?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Does that mean Bad Goalie is leaving us :(
He'll tune in for Vancouver games to check on the Utica Comet alumni. Virtanen, Rathbone, Lind, Juolevi, Chatfield, MacEwen, Demko. I'm sure I am missing some, but even Markstrom on Calgary is a reason to tune in. The Comets alumni runs deep.

The guys a goalie, he can watch CGY vs Van, 2 Utica Comets go at in Markstrom and Demko.

Last edited:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Western AHL teams literally play 10 fewer games than everyone else because the travel is so horrible. It’s a pretty big deal.

But there are more and more western teams all the time. You can add Seattle to the mix 100%

Reactions: RussianRacket

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Western AHL teams literally play 10 fewer games than everyone else because the travel is so horrible. It’s a pretty big deal.
Wasn't that the reason why Abby had to pay such a huge bribe for the Calgary Flames to have the affiliate located there in the past? (where there was even fewer teams out west). Travel expenses (which *OTHER* AHL teams forced the Abby Heat to reinburse *THEIR* expenses to a large extent) will be freaking high.

Reactions: Bubbles

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Wasnt practical at all. Most all other NHL teams have their farm team close. Advantages far outweight a good crowd in Utica.

Recalls will be instant, prospects can be called up to get practise time with the big club and not miss AHL games and we can go watch our prospects live!

Recalls are only instant when both the Canucks and the farm team are at home, which obviously diminishes its usefulness.

Reactions: Anton Babchuk

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Obviously for selfish reasons I'd have preferred they be in Utica, but it also seems weird to me (especially while the team is penny-pinching) to stick them in a dead zone nowhere near any other team. (I'm not sure how Winnipeg does it either). I'd understand if it were near the California teams, but being alone in the Northwest just seems really inefficient. If they're concerned about a closed border (which would be weird if we expect the Canucks to be crossing it next year) then honestly sticking the team closer to other Canadian AHL teams seems to make the most sense.

We're seeing more and more of a soccer approach for the Canadian NHL cities, with farm teams serving as the "academy" next to the parent club, and I think that's kind of sad for the medium-sized cities (or larger non-NHL cities) that traditionally occupied this space. The farm teams now become an afterthought in NHL markets instead of the main hockey attraction in places like Salt Lake City, Baltimore or Portland, Maine. Even many standalone Canadian markets that used to be minor pro cities (Hamilton, Halifax, Sherbrooke, St. John's, etc.) are now junior hockey markets instead.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'll be inclined to see some of our prospects. In terms of fan interest the team will do better than the Heat.

But for development purposes, this is worse. Less playing time, less practice time, more travel.

BUT they can leverage some cap "banking" shenanigans like the Leafs sending players down to the Marlies on off days, and then calling them back up. With a team so capped out (lol Benning), this might be a saving grace.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think back when Calgary had the Heat in Abby, teams would come and play 2 game series to reduce travel costs.

Is Abbotsford a permanent home or is this a temporary placeholder for the upcoming 21-22 season only?

Personally, not a fan of having the AHL club that isolated from their division opponents. The other NW teams have their clubs in California, so the travel is drastically increased.

In terms of club names, I think Abbotsford Aviators works very well.

Reactions: tyhee

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I think back when Calgary had the Heat in Abby, teams would come and play 2 game series to reduce travel costs.

Is Abbotsford a permanent home or is this a temporary placeholder for the upcoming 21-22 season only?

Personally, not a fan of having the AHL club that isolated from their division opponents. The other NW teams have their clubs in California, so the travel is drastically increased.

In terms of club names, I think Abbotsford Aviators works very well.

Multi game series in each city is honestly what both the NHL and AHL should be doing. Flying from one city to the next day after day is incredibley inefficient and wasteful. The majority of the Abbotsford team's opponents are in southern California; just one flight down, then bus from place to place for two weeks seems pretty reasonable financially and logistically.

I am curious like you say though if this move is just a placeholder location for now, followed by a relocation to California once the border is back to normal, or if the Abbotsford experiment fails.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad