Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce Abbotsford Canucks as AHL Farm Team

What should the team be called?

• Total voters

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Mixed feelings.

I'm very doubtful they've factored in travel costs for a team in Abbotsford when most of their games will be very far and not bus access.

I would go see games though if theyre decent prices and we have prospects to watch (we don't rn lol) and I am sad to lose Utica and especially the posters there giving excellent ahl coverage.
So you're saying that a large company that employs accountants and contracts actuaries to predict revenues and expenses didn't even account for an inevitable increased cost associated with a major change in their long-term structure. Do you really think this belief is reasonable?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Multi game series in each city is honestly what both the NHL and AHL should be doing. Flying from one city to the next day after day is incredible inefficient and wasteful. The majority of the Abbotsford team's opponents are in southern California; just one flight down, then bus from place to place for two weeks seems pretty reasonable financially and logistically.

I am curious like you say though if this move is just a placeholder location for now, followed by a relocation to California once the border is back to normal, or if the Abbotsford experiment fails.
Logically and logistically, it does make more sense to do back to back games in the same city, unless you happen to play LA/Ana, or NYR/NYI or Buf/Tor for example.

Why not do 2 games in Colorado on a Wed/Thur rather than play in Col on Wed and fly out that night to go to LV or AZ for a Thur game. Makes for a better game on Thur when the team is able to return to their hotel before 11pm. They can get a good nights sleep and be ready to play the next game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope the fans Abbotsford don't get too comfortable with the Canucks playing out of their rink for a year or two.

I assume that one day the AHL will return to a more balanced schedule....and that will mean travel to other Western Conference destinations besides California.

The last time I looked, some of the of the other AHL Western Conference cities included places, like San Antonio, Texas, Denver, Chicago, Iowa, Nevada and Arizona.

Even if they played back-to-backs to cut travel costs, I could see a scenario where the Abbotsford no-names are wracking up huge frequent flyer points and travel costs. So unless they sell out the rink every night and sell tons of merchandize, there's no doubt the Aquilinis' will be losing a lot more money in Abby than they were in Utica.

And given how the much the parent Canucks are cheapening out these days, it makes you seriously wonder if if would last.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I could easily see. Cull in Vancouver and John Weisbroud buddy Troy Ward back in Abbotsford

I actually thought Troy Ward was a good coach until he bombed with the Giants. But it might just be the fact that his style is more suited to adults than teenagers.

I wonder if Ward is any good as a scout. If he is, I would keep him there. He reportedly scouts the Midwest and Minnesota high school hockey which is a pretty important region.

Personally, I think he would be an upgrade over Cull. I remember Flames fans raving about him and thinking he's the next John Cooper type star.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Travel to Southern California doesn't really present many obstacles. Palm Springs is an inexpensive three hour direct flight from Vancouver and is in the same time zone. The question is how much more revenue a local affiliate will generate to offset the expense. If Abbotsford sells 2,000 more tickets at about $20 each, the additional profit generated by those ticket sales and associated concessions probably amounts to $25-30,000 per game, which should pay for a couple of team flights. You can also subtract the expense of players and team employees traveling between Vancouver and Utica. Each of those flights, which are typically booked on short notice rather than well in advance, cost $500-1200, and each would be replaced with a 40-minute drive.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hope the fans Abbotsford don't get too comfortable with the Canucks playing out of their rink for a year or two.

I assume that one day the AHL will return to a more balanced schedule....and that will mean travel to other Western Conference destinations besides California.

The last time I looked, some of the of the other AHL Western Conference cities included places, like San Antonio, Texas, Denver, Chicago, Iowa, Nevada and Arizona.

Even if they played back-to-backs to cut travel costs, I could see a scenario where the Abbotsford no-names are wracking up huge frequent flyer points and travel costs. So unless they sell out the rink every night and sell tons of merchandize, there's no doubt the Aquilinis' will be losing a lot more money in Abby than they were in Utica.

And given how the much the parent Canucks are cheapening out these days, it makes you seriously wonder if if would last.
The AHL really doesn't need an East/West matchup. And they also don't need to play 82 games. Right now, the West coast teams play fewer games than the rest of the league.

In terms of teams, for the Western based NHL teams their AHL affiliates are in
Stockton, Bakersfield, San Jose, Ontario, San Diego, Palm Springs (all in California)
Henderson, NV
Tuscon, AZ
Loveland, CO (45 minutes north of Denver)
Milwaukee, WI
Rockford, IL
Austin, TX
Iowa, IA
Winnipeg
Abbotsford

St. Louis is unknown at this time.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think having call ups close by is a fringe benefit that in non-pandemic times isn't really that huge of a boost barring those fringe events where like, 3-4 players get injured in 24 hours. Putting the team in California made more sense, but I can understand the move.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Can the OP add a name poll?

Donnie and Dhali has Aviators leading. Pilots Timbermen Millionaires Lumberjacks

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Travel to Southern California doesn't really present many obstacles. Palm Springs is an inexpensive three hour direct flight from Vancouver and is in the same time zone. The question is how much more revenue a local affiliate will generate to offset the expense. If Abbotsford sells 2,000 more tickets at about $20 each, the additional profit generated by those ticket sales and associated concessions probably amounts to $25-30,000 per game, which should pay for a couple of team flights. You can also subtract the expense of players and team employees traveling between Vancouver and Utica. Each of those flights, which are typically booked on short notice rather than well in advance, cost $500-1200, and each would be replaced with a 40-minute drive.

I am interested to know what the arrangement is between the City of Abbotsford and the Canucks. I wonder if the arrangement would be a profitable one as opposed to the money losing arrangement between the city and the Heat.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I am interested to know what the arrangement is between the City of Abbotsford and the Canucks. I wonder if the arrangement would be a profitable one as opposed to the money losing arrangement between the city and the Heat.
I don't follow local politics there but what was the fallout from that ill advised decision ? Wasn't that the then Mayor of Abby pet project? The subsidy of a mega millions out of province franchise as well as the construction of the new rink.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Listening to the Rintoul show and his guest is Ryan Pinder former PBP guy for the Heat. Mentions that the travel back then was brutal give how isolated the team was from other clubs. Better with the Cali teams but said there are no direct flights out of Abbotsford to those California cities, so a hour plus drive to the Vancouver airport. So travel will certainly be a negative for the club vs something like Long Beach/ Sacramento or the other city in Arizona.

but we all said that travel would be a negative being in Abbotsford. Kind of no different than other ahl clubs for those central division teams being in Austin, Iowa, Loveland Colorado, etc.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Bad for the players and player development. They will have the worst travel schedule in the league - more injuries, less time working on skills, resting, etc.

Fun for locals to watch though. At the end of the day it's an entertainment industry.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bad for the players and player development. They will have the worst travel schedule in the league - more injuries, less time working on skills, resting, etc.

Fun for locals to watch though. At the end of the day it's an entertainment industry.
About the same as playing for an AHL club in the central division. Maybe actually a touch better in that their division opponents once they fly into California they can bus to them all vs flying to each one if they played for the Avs, Stars, Preds and such.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Listening to the Rintoul show and his guest is Ryan Pinder former PBP guy for the Heat. Mentions that the travel back then was brutal give how isolated the team was from other clubs. Better with the Cali teams but said there are no direct flights out of Abbotsford to those California cities, so a hour plus drive to the Vancouver airport. So travel will certainly be a negative for the club vs something like Long Beach/ Sacramento or the other city in Arizona.

but we all said that travel would be a negative being in Abbotsford. Kind of no different than other ahl clubs for those central division teams being in Austin, Iowa, Loveland Colorado, etc.
I'm sure they'll charter out of Abby. That's how the Manitoba Moose travel. Charter to the first stop on road trip, bus to the rest (where possible). Charter home. Seems obvious for the NorCal-Socal-Vegas-Tucson trips at least.
It's not like there isn't an airport there.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I think having call ups close by is a fringe benefit that in non-pandemic times isn't really that huge of a boost barring those fringe events where like, 3-4 players get injured in 24 hours. Putting the team in California made more sense, but I can understand the move.
I agree – always thought the call-up reasoning was suspect, and something that is an issue maybe once or twice a season shouldn't overrule all other considerations. Hell, the team plays half its games outside of BC.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I agree – always thought the call-up reasoning was suspect, and something that is an issue maybe once or twice a season shouldn't overrule all other considerations. Hell, the team plays half its games outside of BC.

Not to mention being limited to 4 call-ups for the back 1/3rd of the season.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Is the Abbortsford airshow still a thing? When I was young it was a pretty big deal for the valley, and Abbortsford having an airforce base and airport would seem to auger for aviators

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I guess if they were either the Abbotsford Lumberjacks or Abbotsford Canucks they could then use the Johnny Canuck logo as their primary, which would also be cool.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess if they were either the Abbotsford Lumberjacks or Abbotsford Canucks they could then use the Johnny Canuck logo as their primary, which would also be cool.
Best to use another name besides Canucks. Think that helps market the club better. See how long the AHL lasts in Abbotsford. Personally, think a better loation for them is someone in Cali like Long Beach, prior home of the IHL Ice Dogs.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Its good to have them close, but as long as Benning is around, its going to be a toxic atmosphere with a lot of people refusing to support a farm team if its going to continue to be ran by total morons from top to bottom. Probably should have left them on the other side of the continent- where by comparison to us around Van, they rarely get a wiff of Bennings putrid managing, or lack there of

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad