Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov for a 2024 5th and 2026 3rd.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I really don't want to see a Zadorov extension. He's just another Myers: A guy who can be competent in #5 minutes (which is what he plays in Calgary) but looks like a chaotic mess higher up the lineup.

He's going to want the Erik Gudbranson contract (or more) and the Canucks should absolutely not give it to him.

As a rental, I don't mind the deal. Z will play #5 minutes with everyone healthy, he removes the possibility of Juulsen/McWard types playing, and Allvin paid a relatively low price.

I don't want to see him beyond this season though.

I’m not enamored with re-signing him either but I’ve also barely seen him play. The bigger issue is I’d rather whatever caphit he gets be allocated to a higher tier player.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
The best argument for this trade is as a short-term, relatively low-cost, patchwork job.

In no way do I want them to re-sign Zadorov long-term. He's a #5 and he'll be asking for legit top-four money.

Agreed. Which is why I also don't think he is a fit long term. But a player like him is needed short term, and he was available for cheap, so I am ok

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I really don't want to see a Zadorov extension. He's just another Myers: A guy who can be competent in #5 minutes (which is what he plays in Calgary) but looks like a chaotic mess higher up the lineup.

He's going to want the Erik Gudbranson contract (or more) and the Canucks should absolutely not give it to him.

As a rental, I don't mind the deal. Z will play #5 minutes with everyone healthy, he removes the possibility of Juulsen/McWard types playing, and Allvin paid a relatively low price.

I don't want to see him beyond this season though.
Disagree, i think they see him as a Cole replacement next season and will try their best to resign him to a reasonable deal

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Agreed. Which is why I also don't think he is a fit long term. But a player like him is needed short term, and he was available for cheap, so I am ok

I'm open to the idea that within our structure and with our development coaching he could turn into a solid player, and IF he can prove that with the remainder of this season, for a reasonable amount on a shorter-term extension (<$4M 2-3 years) I'd consider it.

But that's a lot of if's, and in the meantime, happy with it if it's just a rental.

Reactions: bobbyb2009

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Disagree, i think they see him as a Cole replacement next season and will try their best to resign him to a reasonable deal

With Soucy already with term, both Cole and Zadorov on expiring contracts, who'd we rather extend, Cole or Zadorov?

Or is there a reasonable alternative top-four LHD we're aiming for?

Assuming a RHD will also be brought in.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Agreed, they probably have him as Cole replacement.

Though I wouldn’t sign him longer than 2 years. I’m a firm believer that you don’t sign bottom pairing defenseman for long term and more than $3.5M so he would already be a little high on the cap hit for my liking. Though easily manageable if it’s a 2 year situation.

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
With Soucy already with term, both Cole and Zadorov on expiring contracts, who'd we rather extend, Cole or Zadorov?

Or is there a reasonable alternative top-four LHD we're aiming for?

Assuming a RHD will also be brought in.
Zadorov over Cole for age alone...but if we could keep renewing Cole on one year deals and monitoring his potential drop in performance, I'd do both.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I dont think there should be any sort of rush to sign Zadorov, but i would certainly be open to it if he shows to be a good fit and can actually manage middle pairing minutes.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I dont think there should be any sort of rush to sign Zadorov, but i would certainly be open to it if he shows to be a good fit and can actually manage middle pairing minutes.
We arent the Flames or Benning. Buuut I could see the Gudbranson contract for him

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Man, Zadorov going against the Flames team he was pissed off at on Saturday will be must-see TV.
Wonder if the Canucks insert him that early without getting a couple practices in to learn the system.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A few thoughts:

Value wise this is another good trade by Allvin. Zadorov isn't have a good season but a competent GM should be able to get a 2nd for him at the deadline. At the very least we can turn around and trade him for a 3rd at the deadline. Otherwise, if Zadorov is a pure rental, this is an acceptable cost, especially given Soucy might be out longer term.

As for the target himself, I like the player. He was one of the few Russian players who spoke out against the Russian invasion. Can play left side and a bit on the right side. I think he's a #4/#5 Dman type with a better record for playing a top 4 role than Soucy but still more suited for a bottom pairing role. But like I said before, it looks like he's looking to cash out and I suspect that I wouldn't want to pay him what he wants or can get as a UFA.

Reactions: tradervik

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Zadorov over Cole for age alone...but if we could keep renewing Cole on one year deals and monitoring his potential drop in performance, I'd do both.

With Soucy under contract I think the LHD would get crowded if we did them both (unless we're okay with moving someone to the right side, all of Soucy, Cole and Zadorov are apparently good at it, but Tocchet's reportedly resistant to that).

Maybe moving Soucy is an option, but it would be good to get some of that money to shore up the RHD side.

Wonder if the Canucks insert him that early without getting a couple practices in to learn the system.

I think with our injuries they'd rather have Zadorov in sooner than later, even if there's some adjustment hiccups.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
A few thoughts:

Value wise this is another good trade by Allvin. Zadorov isn't have a good season but a competent GM should be able to get a 2nd for him at the deadline. At the very least we can turn around and trade him for a 3rd at the deadline. Otherwise, if Zadorov is a pure rental, this is an acceptable cost, especially given Soucy might be out longer term.

As for the target himself, I like the player. He was one of the few Russian players who spoke out against the Russian invasion. Can play left side and a bit on the right side. I think he's a #4/#5 Dman type with a better record for playing a top 4 role than Soucy but still more suited for a bottom pairing role. But like I said before, it looks like he's looking to cash out and I suspect that I wouldn't want to pay him what he wants or can get as a UFA.
weird agnle but ok

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
iu

Now this is what I'm talking about. Addition without any substantive subtraction.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad