Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov for a 2024 5th and 2026 3rd.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If he shows to be a fit and he plays well for us, id be ok with that.
As long as his contract doesn't contain any numbers anywhere higher than four I'm all for an extension.

Everyone will be a fan of this guy come june assuming we make it in, a big strong mean defenseman that can skate and eat mins is an absolute necessity in the playoffs, and especially for this team with several small softies and weaklings.

Reactions: MarkMM and Canucker

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If you look at Rutherford's history though, he really does value a deep blueline of interchangeable large bodies as a hedge against playoff attrition. And you can't really argue with the results.

He does think in these terms up front, though (eg, Kessel in Pittsburgh, Weight/Recchi in Carolina).
The Carolina team that won in 2006 may have had the worst defensive unit on paper of any modern day Stanley Cup winner but somehow it worked(Cam Ward also had a lot to do with it).

The Pittsburgh teams that won did have similar style defensive units that Vancouver looks to be building. Norris level stud at the top, with a bunch 3/4/5 types behind him. That said, somehow they were able to win without Letang in 2017.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Is there any reason Zadorov should be making significantly more more than Carson Soucy? A 3 year extension at his current rate of $3.75M should be pretty fair assuming he wants to be here(apparently Vancouver was near the top of his list of teams to go to).

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Is there any reason Zadorov should be making significantly more more than Carson Soucy? A 3 year extension at his current rate of $3.75M should be pretty fair assuming he wants to be here(apparently Vancouver was near the top of his list of teams to go to).
He would be taking home a little less money than he was in Alberta if he signs for the same amount. I doubt he wants to take a pay cut

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
It probably should but I think he has more "eye test" things and a higher profile that'll make a bigger bidding war.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
He would be taking home a little less money than he was in Alberta if he signs for the same amount. I doubt he wants to take a pay cut
Hopefully he fits in well and is willing to take a bit less to be somewhere he wants to be. Guess we’ll see.

It probably should but I think he has more "eye test" things and a higher profile that'll make a bigger bidding war.
Yea, his physical play and big hits are definitely something teams would value.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Disagree, i think they see him as a Cole replacement next season and will try their best to resign him to a reasonable deal
I would far rather bring back Cole on another modest, one-year deal than trust Zadorov to be in the top-four. Zadorov is a worse player and he's going to ask for a much bigger contract.

Zadorov is not a top-four defenseman on a good team. He's your #5 ideally. And they already have this role filled medium-term with Soucy.

Zadorov in the top-four looks like Myers in the top-four. It's not great.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I’m not enamored with re-signing him either but I’ve also barely seen him play. The bigger issue is I’d rather whatever caphit he gets be allocated to a higher tier player.
Bolded, absolutely. He's going to want approximately $4M and that should be allocated to a better player than a 4/5D.

I watched some Calgary last season. Zadorov kind of reminds me of Ryan Graves, but mostly in the bad ways. Likes to carry the puck and jump up in the rush (he is very mobile for a huge guy) and take shots in-zone. But like, you don't really want him doing that. Better if he plays within himself. That's probably why he gets exposed when he plays tougher minutes, can't really execute those plays against top players.

Reactions: MarkMM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The argument would be that Zadorov has more of a track record in terms of logging 18+ minutes and is a bit more skilled. He (the Flames version) kind of offers more than Soucy. Personally I think Zadorov has a higher ceiling but lower floor relative to Soucy.

I am surprised that the trade market for Zadorov didn’t exactly materialize. That or his contract demands are too high. If I had to bet I bet that he gets more than $4M or at least Gudbranson money but it’s possible that our favourite agent convinces him to stay here for ~$4M give or take.

I’m not really comfortable giving him a 4x$4M deal but that’s probably something he can get on the open market.

Reactions: MarkMM

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
great deal. once the caproom opened up and both gm/coach was talking about overplaying their top pairing too many mins and not trusting their ahl guys. thats when alvin striked. his physcaility and shot will have a much need boost to the d corps. cant play cole given his age alot of mins. following the vegas model i see. big dman who can skate

Reactions: Indiana and MarkMM

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Certainly can't argue with the price. A lot less than i'd expected he'd go for. Especially with so much time left, and not just a pure deadline stretch rental.

I've always liked Zadorov. More so since he's started to kind of find his footing a little bit more recently. I think it bodes relatively well that he started to actually really round his game out with more consistency under Sutter of all coaches, and it even all started while playing with a plug like Real GudBranson. If he can play good hockey with a guy like that, i like his chances of finding some chemistry with someone here. He's even played solid hockey with other afterthoughts like the bad Stone and Tiny Stretcher. He's probably been at his best with Weegar, but i think it bodes well that he can play effectively without a top tier partner as well.

I also think his ability to potentially play RD is interesting. Obviously this staff are hesitant to go there. But i do wonder if Gonchar might help put a word in for Zadorov if it comes to that, which it very well should if everyone is healthy.

On that note...i joked in some other thread that Jacob Trouba would probably be the ideal partner for Hughes. Zadorov obviously isn't that...but he's about as close to a "Trouba lite" as you're gonna get. The thing he's probably best as, is aggressively separating opponents from the puck...and physically just separating them from their grounding in space and time. There are only a handful of Top-4ish D in the league who have that knack for timing that stuff up and the aggressiveness to go for it. That's something that could be hugely beneficial to someone like Hughes, or even Hronek...neither of whom really excels at that. The quicker you can kick the puck lose, the sooner you can have those type of puck-mover partners turn it around in quick transition.

But in any case...he's f***ing enormous, he plays to that size, and he can actually really skate.

I believe he was quoted post draft as describing his game as, "i like to hit people and score goals". Which is...exactly what he does.

He's obviously a guy who is still right on that borderline as a bit of #4/5 Tweener D. But he's a very dynamic version of that. Physically, mobility-wise, and even with his booming shot and willingness to use it and jump up in the play to cap off a sequence. Makes him a bit unique among those types. Even if we now have basically 3 flavours of the same 4/5 tweener with Cole/Zadorov/Soucy.

So weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Big Zaddy Daddy coming through. Gonna be fun to watch. Hopefully Canucks fans can appreciate what he does and don't turn on him. Because there are going to be some mistakes.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I believe he was quoted post draft as describing his game as, "i like to hit people and score goals". Which is...exactly what he does.

Agree with your analysis and reflects what I think of him so not quoting your entire post :thumbu:

The goal scoring part is interesting though. I mean everyone likes to score goals? He only scored 6 in his draft year and didn’t score much in Russia so I don’t really know that goal scoring is part of his game. He did score 14 last year which came out of nowhere?

Like you said “He's obviously a guy who is still right on that borderline as a bit of #4/5 Tweener D. But he's a very dynamic version of that.” If he can be extended for ~$4M in an 3 year contract and he plays like he can as a #4 rather than #5 there’s a lot to like.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
i guess the way i see it is, it’s not the acquisition cost, it’s the cap hit that we’re locked into

which means someone has to go (garland? myers?) if we want to add someone of tanev calibre, and what will that cost, both to dump the bad contract and then add the good player?

that said, i also want to hope that a 28 year old zadorov can be a legit solid #4
The person who needed to go is already gone. Traded the day before. So yes they are in a similar position cap wise as they were last week they have improved the team (IMO). the other moves that might need to happen can still happen at some point.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Agree with your analysis and reflects what I think of him so not quoting your entire post :thumbu:

The goal scoring part is interesting though. I mean everyone likes to score goals? He only scored 6 in his draft year and didn’t score much in Russia so I don’t really know that goal scoring is part of his game. He did score 14 last year which came out of nowhere?

Like you said “He's obviously a guy who is still right on that borderline as a bit of #4/5 Tweener D. But he's a very dynamic version of that.” If he can be extended for ~$4M in an 3 year contract and he plays like he can as a #4 rather than #5 there’s a lot to like.

I think there are interviews out there that touch on this a little bit. It's part of why he came over to North America to play in the CHL in the first place. He wanted a chance to score goals. lol. Which, especially at the time...was not something that was generally encouraged in defencemen over in Russia. They've always had a somewhat different model of what different players do as part of a team. Plenty have transcended that but it's always been a prevailing condition there.

He also scored a ton of goals per game in his D+1 year in the OHL. He's also posted big goal numbers in the AHL. It's not like this is coming out of nowhere. But no...he's likely never going to match the goal totals from last year's wild streak. That's okay though. That's not really the entirety of his game by any means. It's more like a bonus quality.

He's more a "goal scorer" like Alex Edler was a "goal scorer". That's a more reasonable bracket to put him in. And with a lot less assists, because he's not nearly as adept a puck-mover.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Good trade. Price is reasonable given no salary is going back, which seems to be part of deals that everyone still overlooks. Second best part of the deal is getting him early, if we want to extend him as badly as it sounds like we do then it's nice to have a couple extra months to evaluate him.

Best part of the deal is that they'll be forced to play a lefty on RD and therefore realize they can finally dump Myers.

Reactions: Hodgy

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
In one hour there could be information on a possible Zardorov signing. Possible other players of interest maybe looking this way.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4