Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov for a 2024 5th and 2026 3rd.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
i’m seeing almost unanimous cheering here

but i feel like not that long ago everyone was talking about zadorov as a kind of a big stiff

i’ll be honest that i haven’t noticed him other than when he’s making the boards shake but how is he defensively?

can he be a legit second line RD partner to soucy/cole? or if he plays LD can he carry myers in a third pair role?

which is maybe also to ask where he is on the spectrum of like dana murzyn, brent sopel, shane o’brien, gudbranson/sbisa?
He isn’t a great player by any stretch and I think everyone is cognizant of that but the price is low enough to take the risk. Quite different if this was a first or second round pick or decent prospect going the other way. But it’s a 5th round pick next summer a 3rd three drafts from now. So it’s a decent deal.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I would love if we could flip Myers for a young RHD who maybe needs a change of scenery. Admittedly I don't know who that might be but our pro scouting is on a hot streak, so let's do it!

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I’m really happy with this move. Zadorov will almost 100% re-sign too given who his agent is. Will be interesting to see what that looks like. Another tidy piece of work by Allvin.
The Canucks appear to have a good relationship with Milstein, but I'm worried where the money is going to come from to pay everyone this offseason and the next.

We now have, among the numerous pending free agents, Petey and Hronek who will likely be getting large raises, DeSmith who it seems to me is worth a decent (though not huge) raise, Zadorov who was rumoured to be seeking a good-sized raise, Bluegers, Lafferty, Cole and Friedman.

Still, Canucks' management seems to be building some credibility. Not everything they do works out but unlike the previous management team, we can always see a purpose when they make moves now, which means that to those of us who suffer from post-Benning stress disorder (PBSD) everything they do looks good. Although by nature a long-term planner who avoids risk (for example, planning 30 years ahead when considering retirement) I'll try to avoid fretting about the coming offseason and assume Allvin has a long-term plan.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Sanheim is the big miss - they could have had him for peanuts and he’s not being paid much more than Zadorov will be if they keep him around.
You think Zadorov is going to get close to $6M on a 6+ year contract?

If they follow this move up with a partner for Hughes and utilize Hronek with Zadorov this could turn out quite well.

Reactions: bh53

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He isn’t a great player by any stretch and I think everyone is cognizant of that but the price is low enough to take the risk. Quite different if this was a first or second round pick or decent prospect going the other way. But it’s isn’t so it’s a decent deal.

i guess the way i see it is, it’s not the acquisition cost, it’s the cap hit that we’re locked into

which means someone has to go (garland? myers?) if we want to add someone of tanev calibre, and what will that cost, both to dump the bad contract and then add the good player?

that said, i also want to hope that a 28 year old zadorov can be a legit solid #4

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
in the short term i don’t hate the idea of

hughes hronek
zadorov myers
cole (someone not named juulsen)

and in the long term i’d actually be ok going into the playoffs with

hughes hronek
soucy bear
cole zadorov
myers

although i do think we pretty badly need to add a legit 3/4 guy to really have a chance

Reactions: bh53 and PG Canuck

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Since that 5th is Chicago's, that means Calgary basically gets two 4ths if the Canucks continue on their current pace. WOW. That is a very underwhelming return, and it's not like they're getting a huge salary dump. Maybe I could see it being a fair trade if big Zaddy was getting like 6 mill a season or something -- but 3.75? Nah, that's a lopsided one, bros.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
in the short term i don’t hate the idea of

hughes hronek
zadorov myers
cole (someone not named juulsen)

and in the long term i’d actually be ok going into the playoffs with

hughes hronek
soucy bear
cole zadorov
myers

although i do think we pretty badly need to add a legit 3/4 guy to really have a chance
Need a top 4 dman for sure otherwise they need to start splitting up Hughes and Hronek.

Zadorov/Myers or Soucy/Bear as a 2nd pairing isn’t going to get us far, but that’s just me

Reactions: Flik

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Canucks appear to have a good relationship with Milstein, but I'm worried where the money is going to come from to pay everyone this offseason and the next.

We now have, among the numerous pending free agents, Petey and Hronek who will likely be getting large raises, DeSmith who it seems to me is worth a decent (though not huge) raise, Zadorov who was rumoured to be seeking a good-sized raise, Bluegers, Lafferty, Cole and Friedman.
I think that management has to be planning on moving on from Blueger, Lafferty, and Cole, and replacing them with guys currently in the system on ELCs (or contracts close to league minimum).

Reactions: Vector

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I really like the trade because of the low cost and the fact that Zad adds a different element to the team, but it's still a depth move and there needs to be a bigger move for higher up the lineup if aspirations are high.

That said, Rome wasn't built in a day and whatnot.

Reactions: Flik and Lindgren

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Man, talk about being opportunistic to get their guy. Player (and his agent) were burning a hole in Calgary's pocket. Soon as the Flames had a trade partner who could take the player without taking salary back, they had to pull the trigger.

Not to mention how the Canucks took advantage of Blackhawks situation earlier this week to create the space.

Very savvy work.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I don’t think this trade prevents any of those trades happening given the ability to use Myers as a cap space offset.

Other than Sanheim. Flyers wanted a first for him and that seems like a miss from most of the league.

That’s fair. It does sound like they want to keep Zadorov around for a while though so I’d be surprised if they made one of those moves too as they can’t fit all of Hughes, Hronek, Zadorov, Soucy and one of those players in long term.

You think Zadorov is going to get close to $6M on a 6+ year contract?

He’s likely going to get at least $4 million per. I’d much rather pay a 1/2 guy like Sanheim $6.25 than Zadorov around $4.

Sanheim’s term is longer than Zadorov is likely going to get but he’s also two years younger so their contracts will expire around the same age.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
IMG_6114.jpeg

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’m lukewarm on the deal. It’s a good price for Zadorov and he improves the depth of the team, but he’s really a #5, so he doesn’t move the needle much and I don’t think he’s worth what he’s going to want so hopefully he’s just a rental. I would have preferably used the space to try to get a legit top 4 upgrade but it’s hard to say if there was enough of a market for that

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad