Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire Nikita Zadorov for a 2024 5th and 2026 3rd.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I’m not even going to bother forming an opinion on an extension here until I see him play 20 games and see how he plays and where he fits.

This is why I’m happy to have competent management again that will probably do the same. Jim Benning would already be looking at giving a 5x5 contract with trade protection before seeing how he plays here.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I could have sworn it was Zadorov that Kuzy and Mikheyev were fishing with this past summer on their IG stories. Seems like those 3 are already close which is nice.

Edit: Found it

zadorov-fishing-with-kuzy-and-mikheyev-this-past-summer-v0-63gz5vcagl3c1.jpg

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Good trade. Price is reasonable given no salary is going back, which seems to be part of deals that everyone still overlooks. Second best part of the deal is getting him early, if we want to extend him as badly as it sounds like we do then it's nice to have a couple extra months to evaluate him.

Best part of the deal is that they'll be forced to play a lefty on RD and therefore realize they can finally dump Myers.
Great trade.
There are very good teams with defence playing the off side.
The LHD on the team now are mostly FA's
Next year the team might have a 35 yr old guy as the #2 LHD with an AHLer as #3 and #4.
There were lots of fans and posters that thought it was a good thing that Tanev moved on, that he was "stale" here. They didn't like that nothing came in return but didn't lament his leaving at the time. How did that work out?

Playoffs come around and Hronek or some other tiny defenceman gets worn down battling 6'2" 200+ lbs forwards in a seven game series. Series after series. They would only have to relax and lean on them and out reach them. Game plan? simply put the puck on the boards and lean on/battle the little guys, wear them down.

Canucks will have to outbid other teams for Bear anyway, is it a good way to spend such limited cap space when there could be other more durable RHD that will come available?

So many fans here forget what the playoffs are like. The Canucks end the season and watching ends. The second season is a grind that make the present schedule look normal. The rivalry that builds, the enmity, the physicality, the travel. With almost no practice, Up to 28 games in less than 60 days. Up to 15 flights or more. Time zone changes every two days on average. To quote Luongo, "a real grind" The team will need durability and depth. SO having Bear would help as depth

Donny and Dahli

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I’m not even going to bother forming an opinion on an extension here until I see him play 20 games and see how he plays and where he fits.
The defence is not set yet so 20 games will just show the same as what he has done before
This is why I’m happy to have competent management again that will probably do the same. Jim Benning would already be looking at giving a 5x5 contract with trade protection before seeing how he plays here.
Who else to sign? The guy has everything most teams are looking for, playoff experience, size, attitude, desire to earn more icetime.

Not mentioned much is Zadorov was the fastest skater in Calgary.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Scanning the Net this morning, it would appear that a lot of the Flames who are lamenting the loss of Zadorov, saying he was a great teammate and a solid contributor in the dressing-room.

Of course Zadorov never actually requested a trade himself--it came through is agent Dan Millstein. I get the fact that Allvin and Millstein seem to be joined at the hip--with a lot of his clients already playing for the Canucks.

But this is hardly the first time Millstein has requested a trade on behalf of one of his clients. Did he kind of hang Zadorov out to dry? Or was the player really prepared for the resentment from the Flames front office; and all the social media poison it would result in?

One thing's for sure. He's going to get the raspberries tomorrow night in the Saddledome.

Reactions: Indiana

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Scanning the Net this morning, it would appear that a lot of the Flames who are lamenting the loss of Zadorov, saying he was a great teammate and a solid contributor in the dressing-room.

Of course Zadorov never actually requested a trade himself--it came through is agent Dan Millstein. I get the fact that Allvin and Millstein seem to be joined at the hip--with a lot of his clients already playing for the Canucks.

But this is hardly the first time Millstein has requested a trade on behalf of one of his clients. Did he kind of hang Zadorov out to dry? Or was the player really prepared for the resentment from the Flames front office; and all the social media poison it would result in?

One thing's for sure. He's going to get the raspberries tomorrow night in the Saddledome.

Zadorov requested a trade through his agent, that's how it works

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Maybe.....but Millstein was just on Canucks Central at noon on Sportsnet 650, and acknowledged that he has an office at Rogers Arena.

Is that common around the league.....for a player agent to have an office in the building of an NHL team?

• Wow
Reactions: lawrence

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Of course Zadorov never actually requested a trade himself--it came through is agent Dan Millstein.

Are you suggesting that Milstein went rogue and twisted a trade when Zadorov didn't really want one, and then he kind of went "ho-hum it's out there now I'll just go along with it."

Maybe.....but Millstein was just on Canucks Central at noon on Sportsnet 650, and acknowledged that he has an office at Rogers Arena.

Is that common around the league.....for a player agent to have an office in the building of an NHL team?

I don't even have to hear it to know it was a joke.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

he has an office at rogers arena?

given all the dealings he has with the canucks that is super weird if true, among other things.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. That's just how the process works, unless you're a big whining locker room problem who just blurts it out in the media. Or if your contract sucks.

Interestingly, it feels a bit like Zadorov wanted out of Calgary, not because they're kind of a sinking ship and doing a lot of losing. But because he wants a bigger role. Also, he seemed to really lament the loss of Sutter as coach. Seems like he was maybe one of the small handful of Flames players on the other side of the fence on that whole thing. I recall him making some kind of tongue in cheek comments earlier this season, somewhat sarcastically suggesting that people "got what they wanted" getting rid of the "tough coach" so the excuses are gone now. Seems like the sort of driven, hard-edged player who Tocchet is really going to like. For better or worse.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah. That's just how the process works, unless you're a big whining locker room problem who just blurts it out in the media. Or if your contract sucks.

Interestingly, it feels a bit like Zadorov wanted out of Calgary, not because they're kind of a sinking ship and doing a lot of losing. But because he wants a bigger role. Also, he seemed to really lament the loss of Sutter as coach. Seems like he was maybe one of the small handful of Flames players on the other side of the fence on that whole thing. I recall him making some kind of tongue in cheek comments earlier this season, somewhat sarcastically suggesting that people "got what they wanted" getting rid of the "tough coach" so the excuses are gone now. Seems like the sort of driven, hard-edged player who Tocchet is really going to like. For better or worse.

I still equate it all to wanting a bigger role in a contract year = wanting more money. Maybe he thought Hanifin would have moved along in the off-season.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I still equate it all to wanting a bigger role in a contract year = wanting more money. Maybe he thought Hanifin would have moved along in the off-season.

Could certainly be a component of it. But he does also just strike me as the sort of player who really just wants to do more, and believes that they can. Whether that's true or not.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
with hamilton, if he is out until game 1 of the playoffs... that's a huge opportunity to add a lot of firepower.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
with hamilton, if he is out until game 1 of the playoffs... that's a huge opportunity to add a lot of firepower.

they have to make the playoffs first

boston, florida, new york and toronto all look like locks and it's hard to imagine carolina or tampa falling out of the playoffs. that leaves a very good detroit side and the surprisingly good capitals that they could pass. they also have to hold off the islanders, the penguins and maybe even the flyers even if they do get past detroit or washington

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Wrong, under the CBA, for a player to make an official trade request, it must be done the same way Michael Scott declares bankruptcy.
TSN reported "Zadorov's agent said his client had requested a trade out of Calgary and the Leafs were one of his preferred teams", when the Flames were at TOR,

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
TSN reported "Zadorov's agent said his client had requested a trade out of Calgary and the Leafs were one of his preferred teams", when the Flames were at TOR,

Well obviously. Gotta drum up that interest for the game, watching the player the Leafs might acquire. :laugh:

I'm actually kind of curious though, given some of the things i've read about Zadorov's situation, if going to a Canadian team wasn't actually pretty high on his priority list. Be that Toronto, Vancouver, or otherwise. Rather than having to try to sift through the whole process of obtaining a new visa and all of the other cross-border hoops that would've had to be jumped through.

We've seen some players get put on the shelf for a significant period of time when being traded cross-border. Particularly with Russians where things are a little bit more...complicated at the moment. Zaddy doesn't strike me as the sort of player who would enjoy being put on ice like that while the paperwork gets sorted out.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Yea, and he did that by shouting out “I DECLARE, I WANT A TRADE” over and over, while standing in the middle of the dressing room.

• Haha
Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
they have to make the playoffs first

boston, florida, new york and toronto all look like locks and it's hard to imagine carolina or tampa falling out of the playoffs. that leaves a very good detroit side and the surprisingly good capitals that they could pass. they also have to hold off the islanders, the penguins and maybe even the flyers even if they do get past detroit or washington

We know first hand how a bad start can sink an entire season. Seeing it again with a few teams now. They have to go full throttle the rest of the way just to get a WC spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad