Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire G Marek Mazanec from the New York Rangers

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

But hey, you’ll defend anything! Benning could get drunk and plow his car into a group of pedestrians and you’d blame them for standing in the wrong place.

I think the usual defender's position would be the same as it is with the goalie situation, that there is no blame, just bad luck that there were people in the way and that there were injuries.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s due to injury’s so hardly to blame management on this one. Chances of three goalies getting hurt and one getting claimed off waivers is probably 1 in 1,000,000

Uh, no.

One of those injuries was a season-ender to Bachman back in December. Then we traded Nilsson/lost McKenna 5 weeks ago to put us down to 2 goalies in the entire organization under contract.

That you would then have a goalie or two get hurt in a 5-week period is probably a 1/2 chance, not one in a million.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
It’s due to injury’s so hardly to blame management on this one. Chances of three goalies getting hurt and one getting claimed off waivers is probably 1 in 1,000,000

This is hilarious.

Are you seriously including Bachman? He was hurt previously and was out for the season, so the chance of him being hurt was 1.

The chance of McKenna getting claimed was close to 1. The Leafs and Flyers, to name two, were in a desperate situation because of goalie injuries and needed someone cheap, preferrably on an expiring contract, that they wouldn't mind losing when their goalies got healthy. It wasn't unlikely at all. I was one of those that predicted on these boards that he'd be claimed.

One of the jobs of a manager is to plan for contingencies, good and bad. Putting yourself in a predictable position of only having two healthy goalies under contract isn't planning for contingencies. Leaving yourself with only one healthy goalie under contract when one of the two gets injured isn't planning for contingencies.

Calling the idea that the two healthy goalies would get hurt so unlikely that it needn't be planned for and suggesting this is a 1 in a million shot is totally unrealistic. NHL goalies get hurt on a regular basis. Ignoring that fact is simply bad management.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
What a bizarre string of events.

So essentially, the Canuck's:
  • exchanged a seventh round pick for a sixth round pick which resulted in losing their current back-up off the roster (Nilsson),
  • took a starting goaltender from their AHL club (Demko),
  • lost their potential AHL replacement goaltender on waivers (McKenna),
  • left both clubs with two goaltenders total under contract for over 5 weeks,
  • forced a promising young goaltender into an emergency back-up situation as a result of these events,
  • let their young 19 y.o. goaltender get shelled by one of the best teams in the league,
  • traded for an AHL replacement the next day instead of weeks ago.

Good stuff.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
If you actually look after your AHL team, you would be able to have the depth for these problems. This is what happens when you cut corners and don't do the job you are hired for.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Here’s the thing :

On December 3, Jim Benning traded Brendan Leipsic to Toronto for Josh Leivo. Toronto wanted Leipsic to help their AHL team but he needed to clear waivers first. Toronto’s GM, because he’s pragmatic, plans for things, and covers his ass, makes us waive Leipsic first before completing the deal. Leipsic gets claimed! So we then move a different player instead to get the deal done and everyone is happy.

So like, less than a month before, Jim Benning had seen THIS ENTIRE, EXACT SCENARIO PLAY OUT.

This whole situation would have been completely avoided if he’d just done what Dubas did and said, ‘Hey Pierre, we need you to waive McKenna first. If he gets claimed, then you replace him in the deal with (25 y/o AHL journeyman) Marcus Hogberg’.

f***ing simple stuff. Just have a plan and cover your ass. This should be like putting on your pants in the morning for an NHL GM, but it’s like rocket science for Dim Jim Benning.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Per Travis Green "I don't think the kid is upset he played, I think he's pretty excited he played"

For all the doom and gloom crowd out there saying "OMG WE DESTROYED OUR PRIZED ROOKIE" - geezus - go take some valium and chill the f*** out.............if anything this will motivate him even more. Doesn't sound like his confidence is destroyed on that his career is over..........Find something else to freak out about please........

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
What a bizarre string of events.

So essentially, the Canuck's:
  • exchanged a seventh round pick for a sixth round pick which resulted in losing their current back-up off the roster (Nilsson),
  • took a starting goaltender from their AHL club (Demko),
  • lost their potential AHL replacement goaltender on waivers (McKenna),
  • left both clubs with two goaltenders total under contract for over 5 weeks,
  • forced a promising young goaltender into an emergency back-up situation as a result of these events,
  • let their young 19 y.o. goaltender get shelled by one of the best teams in the league,
  • traded for an AHL replacement the next day instead of weeks ago.

Good stuff.

... And for what? Didn't understand why they wouldn't first secure a goaltender for utica before bringing up Demko... and don't understand it now. Typical piss poor implementation and planning. Would be typical if Mazanec couldn't play in Anaheim for visa reasons, and DiPietro has to play next game. Amateur hour.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
... And for what? Didn't understand why they wouldn't first secure a goaltender for utica before bringing up Demko... and don't understand it now. Typical piss poor implementation and planning. Would be typical if Mazanec couldn't play in Anaheim for visa reasons, and DiPietro has to play next game. Amateur hour.

That's not fair . . .

. . . to rank amateurs.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
I really don't get why they didn't just sign a free agent to plug the holes. Isn't Steve Mason still available? Save the draft pick. Not likely that a 7th will turn into anything, but I'd rather have a goalie and a lottery ticket than just a goalie.

Feb 19, 2018
I really don't get why they didn't just sign a free agent to plug the holes. Isn't Steve Mason still available? Save the draft pick. Not likely that a 7th will turn into anything, but I'd rather have a goalie and a lottery ticket than just a goalie.

I’m thinking Clark requested him so he can work with him as he probably sees potential in the way he’s uses his size/angles.

Maybe we were already going to inquire in the off-season about him but with injuries we were forced to act now.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
For a 7th round pick in 2020.

giphy.gif

learning on the job is tuff :sarcasm:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

No, fewer draft picks means we can concentrate on drafting a better player. This is genius - we get a goalie and a better player drafted.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m thinking Clark requested him so he can work with him as he probably sees potential in the way he’s uses his size/angles.

Maybe we were already going to inquire in the off-season about him but with injuries we were forced to act now.

He’s just a whoever-they-could-get placeholder who will be back in Europe next year.

NYR has 5 goalies under contract and get a free draft pick for a worthless asset.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

He’s a 27 year old goalie with 31 NHL games under his belt with a 2.97 gaa and .895 SV%

You are wrong that there’s potential there. He is what he is, a backup/1b goalie for an ahl team

Reactions: Jack Burton

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

Ok, we'll bring him up... Let me find his replacement for utica first. Seems pretty simple.

Edit: nvm, see you were talking about Mazanec. I'm thinking Mazanec was available... that's why Benning got him. Because he was there and Benning wanted to act fast since he put himself, and other teams, in a position of weakness.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad