Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire G Marek Mazanec from the New York Rangers

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
First, yes a 7th round pick is really nothing, but did we have to give up the pick when we could have just signed Leighton?

Second, the optics of this do look bad. I guess credit for finally getting another pro level goalie in the organization, but it really does look like they thought they could get away without one until they saw DiPietro get lit up last night. Incompetent management.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
First, yes a 7th round pick is really nothing, but did we have to give up the pick when we could have just signed Leighton?

Second, the optics of this do look bad. I guess credit for finally getting another pro level goalie in the organization, but it really does look like they thought they could get away without one until they saw DiPietro get lit up last night. Incompetent management.
This guy is a stud and far better than Leighton:

Marek Mazanec Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Would have just preferred "future considerations" or something. Couldn't they have just signed some unattached AHL guy?
Price for a depth goalie has clearly gone up in lieu of the Canucks situation. An example of why competent management needs to be proactive rather than reactive.

Agreed that a free agent AHLer would have been better.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hey look it wasn't that hard to find a goaltender for minimal cost. 4 weeks ago it likely could have been for futures but whatever.

I guess that blows up some of the arguments about it being hard to find this type of goaltender. It isn't and it never was. They just had to be completely embarrassed in front of the entire NHL for them to realize they were completely derelict in this regard.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
As par my usual terrible sense of humor, I made a “hilarious” joke about on the main boards as to how the world hasn’t seen a trade like this since Gretzky in 88’.

Lololololollloloooolololololol!

::::backs away slowly from the computer::::::

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Still ridiculous that it took them this long to address this situation, doesn't make it any less embarrassing for the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: daddyohsix

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The move literally wasn't made until the worst case scenario arose and they had to face the wrath of the Smylosphere. :laugh:

Still would have preferred Leighton or whomever for free, but oh well. At least it does throw Utica more of a bone rather than finding the alphabetically first ECHL guy they can.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So in return for replacing Nilsson with Mazanec and ventilating diPietro, we upgraded from a 7th to a 6th round pick?

What are the difference in odds between a 7th round pick making the NHL vs a 6th round pick?

Is there an opportunity cost to management spending time moving laterally back and forth?

Or for this management group, is it an opportunity benefit, where wasting time on undoing lateral moves prevents them from making their usual bad move?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->