Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire G Marek Mazanec from the New York Rangers

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Just curious but if Philly waives McKenna do we still have the option of claiming him and sending him straight to the minors?

three options if the canucks put in a claim

1. A team with a higher priority claims him. He goes to that team's nhl roster.

2. Canucks are the highest priority, but other teams lower ranked teams bid. Goes to the canucks nhl roster, must go throw waivers to go down.

3. Only the Canucks bid. Canucks claim him and can send him straight down if they want.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
It looked like Jimbo might have been pulling off some at least defensible moves, but this entire debacle is pathetic.

This was brought upon themselves, Demko didn't even get to play in this call-up, and this isn't the kind of start they should have given Mikey. Also on Green, since if he wanted to rest Marky it should probably have been against Chicago who are hot recently but the most likely matchup between them, Calgary, and SJ.

This upcoming california swing is against two terrible teams so it wouldn't matter which one you gave dipietro.

Last edited:
Reactions: travis scott

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So 5 weeks since McKenna goes down and no ahl equivalent goalie was available for them to trade for but suddenly between last night and today one became available? Or is it more likely they screwed up not getting the goalie.

Now before someone puts words in my mouth; I don’t care about the game outcome I care about our managements inability to think moves through and see potential pitfalls from their action or inactions as was the case here ( not getting an goalie for 5 weeks)

Also why wasn’t Michael leighton signed to a 2 way contract? If he was on free agency it means no one wanted him (aka: Philly/Toronto) and he would have cleared wiavers; or if he doesn’t you sign another random free agent goalie and suddenly you have an available goalie Incase your backup gets injured.

I’m surprised more people aren’t upset by the fact management doesn’t have common sense

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Without pointing fingers at any particular side, it's kind of funny how the value of a seventh rounder seems to have changed around here relative to the Del Zotto deal.
I don't think for most people it's an issue of a seventh rounder being so valuable. It's really about the incompetence management is displaying, yet again. As well as the principle of the situation.

Imagine you were at a poor-paying job, and had little disposable income. You're walking in the park and someone dressed in nicer clothes than you comes up to you and says "hey why don't you give me some money". You say "How much?" "Well... $5". "Why?" "I'll give you what you need. What is it?" "Well, I've been looking for some kind of walking stick for almost a month."

He picks a stick up off the ground that has a little bit of dog poo on it. "Give me $10". You think about it hard for 10 seconds and reply "that's what I need, that's a good deal!"

The $10 is not going to cripple you, even with your low salary. It's going to have almost no effect in the long run. But you had a month to find a stick, and even now there were many other sticks on the ground. And the one he gives you has dog poo on it. Why then should you give away any money for it?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I don't think for most people it's an issue of a seventh rounder being so valuable. It's really about the incompetence management is displaying, yet again. As well as the principle of the situation.

Imagine you were at a poor-paying job, and had little disposable income. You're walking in the park and someone dressed in nicer clothes than you comes up to you and says "hey why don't you give me some money". You say "How much?" "Well... $5". "Why?" "I'll give you what you need. What is it?" "Well, I've been looking for some kind of walking stick for almost a month."

He picks a stick up off the ground that has a little bit of dog poo on it. "Give me $10". You think about it hard for 10 seconds and reply "that's what I need, that's a good deal!"

The $10 is not going to cripple you, even with your low salary. It's going to have almost no effect in the long run. But you had a month to find a stick, and even now there were many other sticks on the ground. And the one he gives you has dog poo on it. Why then should you give away any money for it?

I think the fundamental point is that these things are not symmetric. GMs are hired to get the easy issues right all of the time and the hard decisions right more often than not. When a GM does a routine thing right, it says little about his competence. When a GM does a routine thing wrong, it suggests that they are incompetent. The weight of the matter is irrelevant to that aspect of the analysis.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Benning would have traded a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a goalie if the draft wasn't in Vancouver. The more details that come out about this situation the worse it gets.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009

It's pretty explicit. This isn't a case of misinterpreting a quote. And if it is....then it just proves what a simpleton ****ing moron Benning is.

He never says if we weren't hosting the draft we would have done it. He is just placing an emphasis on not trading picks in the host year

Reactions: Canucks5551

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Gary please give us the All-Star game in two years so he doesn't move Pettersson "with us hosting the All-Star Game" because negotiating a new contract is hard or some shit.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He never says if we weren't hosting the draft we would have done it. He is just placing an emphasis on not trading picks in the host year

How hard would it have been to say "The prices were too high"?

That's all he has to say. He doesn't have to keep letting whatever's sitting in his brain keep leaking out to try and justify his decisions. The fact that he brings up that talking point at all is an indication that it's something that factors into his decisions right now, and perhaps if that restriction was lifted he would be trading picks for help in so called playoff run.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's pretty explicit. This isn't a case of misinterpreting a quote. And if it is....then it just proves what a simpleton ****ing moron Benning is.

You're at least not understanding the context. Botchford was on 1040 this morning and explained that what Benning did was ask Cloutier and or Clark for a list of goalies to target and Benning was going by that list. Some players on that list, teams were asking for a 2nd or 3rd round picks for. What Botchford took issue with was was why didn't Benning go back to them and tell them he wants a list of cheaper guys and why he keeps talking about making moves based on whether the whether the draft was held in Vancouver, which to me are fair comments.

The point is that the "list" referenced were provided by Cloutier and or Clark and Benning was calling teams about goaltenders on that list. The fact that some goalies on that list had expensive price tags does not prove anything other than they might be pretty good goalies that teams value. Benning ultimately ended up trading a 7th for a goalie presumably on that list, which is about as expensive of a price as Canucks fans want to see Benning pay to address what is hopefully a short-term situation.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Lol, you have got to be kidding me.

Benning made a trade without getting Ottawa to waive the guy we were acquiring for the AHL first, or keeping him around until Philly/Toronto weren’t in a goaltending crisis. So we lost the organizational asset we needed. Oops.

So you think McKenna would have cleared waivers if Ottawa had tried instead? You think Philly just took him to screw us over? You think Ottawa would risk their back-up goalie knowing there's no deal if McKenna gets claimed?

Some of you are really hung up on McKenna, as if the 36 year old AHL tweener was the focus point of the trade. He wasn't. Finding an asset for Nilsson was, and whenever goalies are dealt mid season it almost always returns a goalie the other way, due to the nature of the position. Losing McKenna is an inconvenience, not a catastrophe.

He then went 5 weeks in the middle of the season with only 2 goalies in the organization and then was predictably bitten in the ass, forced to embarrass a completely unready teenager, blew a game in the middle of a playoff run, and was then forced to basically give away the pick he acquired in the initial trade in the first place.

Waiting was absolutely the correct move. It was only a matter of time before Philly waived someone. Unfortunately they have now put two goalies on conditioning stints, allowing them to out-wait Benning. We had enough options to at least try and wait for a goalie to hit the waiver wire.

Since Demko was re-called, Utica has gone 8-3-3, with one of the outright losses being a shutout. I haven't watched the games, and I am sure you've watched at least some of them. Maybe goaltending has been terrible in Utica, and maybe better goaltending turns some of those OT losses into wins, or they win one of the outright losses they actually scored a goal in (5-2 and 6-3 losses). But tbh I look at an 8-3-3 record, and can't really second guess their plan to take a look at Kulbakov, who of course they had had a look at earlier in the season.

So with things going okay in Utica, it allowed Benning to be patient, and wait for a goalie to hit waivers. He knows in an emergency they can bring up Dipietro and give him some NHL coaching, an NHL paycheque, and see what happens. It's hardly unheard of for a young goalie to come in and get carried by adrenaline for a game or two. Again, no need to rush to give up assets when there are options in the organisation that will suffice for a short term emergency.

It’s a complete, embarrassing cluster**** and even organizational shills like IMac are giving it to them for it.

But why? McKenna wasn't worth not making a trade over. Nothing wrong with giving Kulbakov the first kick at the can in Utica, and he seems to have been doing adequately at the very least. Dipietro is rated high enough to get an invite to Canada's world championship team...giving him some NHL time while waiting for McKenna's conditioning stint to expire was fine. The team ran out of time though after Dipietro clearly wasn't ready (and you really just don't know til you know whether he'd be able to "surprise" a team; besides, SJS are already pencilled in as a L, so it really doesn't play any factor in the playoff race...unless you were expecting a win?), Philly assigned a second goalie for a conditioning stint, and Benning recognised he couldn't wait any longer. I would have been fine just signing a UFA that's out there somewhere, especially if Leighton looks like he can run with Kulbakov for a while. If not, then adding a goalie to be that #3 on the depth chart isn't the end of the world.

But hey, you’ll defend anything! Benning could get drunk and plow his car into a group of pedestrians and you’d blame them for standing in the wrong place.

**yawn** boring ad hominems be boring. I'll defend what I agree with, or at least what I can see as logically defensible. This situation is easily logically defensible, whether Benning made the calls or someone else. Unlike you, who are literally complaining about both sides of the coin (shouldn't be giving up assets for depth goaltenders, AND shouldn't have waited so long to add a depth goaltending). Doubt you'd be so vigilant if it wasn't a Benning situation.

I guess ultimately your position is that Benning should have just kept Nilsson (since there's no way Ottawa would have waived him first, and even if they did he would have been claimed just like he was for us) and let him walk at the end of the season, letting Demko finish the year in Utica. That's fine, it's a logically defensible position to take. I personally think the risk was worth gaining (now just improving) an asset, and starting Demko's transition to the NHL, even if the risk didn't pay off. Benning gambled a nickle hoping to make a quarter, but only walked away with a dime. Low stakes poker, not worth all the vitriol.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
You're at least not understanding the context. Botchford was on 1040 this morning and explained that what Benning did was ask Cloutier and or Clark for a list of goalies to target and Benning was going by that list. Some players on that list, teams were asking for a 2nd or 3rd round picks for. What Botchford took issue with was was why didn't Benning go back to them and tell them he wants a list of cheaper guys and why he keeps talking about making moves based on whether the whether the draft was held in Vancouver, which to me are fair comments.

The point is that the "list" referenced were provided by Cloutier and or Clark and Benning was calling teams about goaltenders on that list. The fact that some goalies on that list had expensive price tags does not prove anything other than they might be pretty good goalies that teams value. Benning ultimately ended up trading a 7th for a goalie presumably on that list, which is about as expensive of a price as Canucks fans want to see Benning pay to address what is hopefully a short-term situation.

Goalies that command seconds are typically NHL calibre goalies or have that experience. I find it strange that he was looking at these types of goalies when he should be searching for a third stringer.

I doubt mazanec was on the list. Otherwise, this would have been a done deal a long time ago. I don't have the biggest problem with the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad