Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire G Marek Mazanec from the New York Rangers

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
What doesn't make sense about this is that they're trading for a guy who has been below replacement level in the NHL and is replacement level in the AHL. They could have signed one of the many free agent goalies in the AHL without giving up a pick and it wouldn't have made any difference.

If im not wrong if we signed a goalie they would have to go through waivers so the trade makes sense

Unless there is another rule I am forgetting, I think you are thinking of the one that applies to players playing outside of North America.

Last edited:
Reactions: FacepalmBenning

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
He’s a 27 year old goalie with 31 NHL games under his belt with a 2.97 gaa and .895 SV%

You are wrong that there’s potential there. He is what he is, a backup/1b goalie for an ahl team

He has little potential, but he is a tolerable stopgap. Not quite sure what people expected different from this. We have multiple players of this ilk, perhaps most notably Poohalot, but also Leivo, eriksson, Granlund, Schaller, Motte, Biega, and have added Brisebois and MacEwen ... though the jury has years to go on these 2.

We are going through a rough stretch goalie wise. Who cares? Next years 7th that would be a minimum of 5 years before we find out whether or not we won the lottery (7th round lottery that is).

Have you'all not been watching the Canucks? JB did ok on this on compared to many of his disasters.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Shame they had to spend a 7th rounder to settle an awkward situation.

Seriously wonder how you plan for losing Markstrom Demko Bachman McKenna and your U20 Canada goalie looking like a deer in the headlights?
Was Goalie Mart closed or something like seriously what are people getting so upset about?

Obviously they were trying to wait it out and get Demko and someone from the Flyers but they used the conditioning stint to f*** us because they knew we would grab him back and DiPietro who they thought might be a good strory got vented after a pathetic start to a game that would have had us down 3-0 if Markstrom was in net.

Oh well hopefully Mazanec can take Bachmans spot in the organization and they still grab someone from the Flyers when the time comes..........f*** those guys

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He has little potential, but he is a tolerable stopgap. Not quite sure what people expected different from this. We have multiple players of this ilk, perhaps most notably Poohalot, but also Leivo, eriksson, Granlund, Schaller, Motte, Biega, and have added Brisebois and MacEwen ... though the jury has years to go on these 2.

We are going through a rough stretch goalie wise. Who cares? Next years 7th that would be a minimum of 5 years before we find out whether or not we won the lottery (7th round lottery that is).

Have you'all not been watching the Canucks? JB did ok on this on compared to many of his disasters.

In the big picture, no, wasting a 7th round pick and blowing a game while we’re in a playoff chase isn’t going to end the world.

The problem is seeing - yet again - how hopeless the people managing the team are at their jobs and planning out even the most simple things.

How can anyone even begin to think these morons could bring a championship to this city?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Shame they had to spend a 7th rounder to settle an awkward situation.

Seriously wonder how you plan for losing Markstrom Demko Bachman McKenna and your U20 Canada goalie looking like a deer in the headlights?
Was Goalie Mart closed or something like seriously what are people getting so upset about?

Obviously they were trying to wait it out and get Demko and someone from the Flyers but they used the conditioning stint to **** us because they knew we would grab him back and DiPietro who they thought might be a good strory got vented after a pathetic start to a game that would have had us down 3-0 if Markstrom was in net.

Oh well hopefully Mazanec can take Bachmans spot in the organization and they still grab someone from the Flyers when the time comes..........**** those guys

Again:

All they had to do was have Ottawa waive McKenna before completing the deal, and if he didn’t clear then slot one of Ottawa’s middling AHL goalies into the trade instead.

Just mind numbingly simple, basic stuff. And this whole thing would have been completely averted.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Without pointing fingers at any particular side, it's kind of funny how the value of a seventh rounder seems to have changed around here relative to the Del Zotto deal.

I think ppl are just complaining about what was acquired for the pick. The value is relative to what was exchanged. Hence, the difference in perception about the pick.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I agree with Ferraro take. Benning had a problem and let it become a catastrophe. Coughing a pick should have happened earlier if it was going to happen.
yes they gambled and lost.

If Demko who bitched about playing in the AHL could actually f***ing play in the league he says he's ready for this doesn't happen.

i dont think it cost us 2 pts just some bad optics

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
I agree with Ferraro take. Benning had a problem and let it become a catastrophe. Coughing a pick should have happened earlier if it was going to happen.
They took a gamble that they would not need to give up a pick recognizing that they weren't going to get anyone who was anything more than a stop gap. It was a gamble that did not work out for a variety of reasons one of which was the team laying an egg when they should have been juiced to play in front of the rookie.

At the end of the day I don't think it was a bad thing at all that DiPietro got a game and they likely weren't winning that game with 25 let alone anyone they would have picked up. Not sure what the fuss is really about, although I know it is ultimately about other moves made and not made and not about the actual situation, and it is pretty ironic that many of the people most distressed by it are the same people saying they need to miss the playoffs for the longterm good.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
yes they gambled and lost.

If Demko who *****ed about playing in the AHL could actually ****ing play in the league he says he's ready for this doesn't happen.

i dont think it cost us 2 pts just some bad optics
The coach puts Demko in or not and Demko looked fine at the NHL level. I don't see a big problem. It's just that markstrom is clearly better so the coach leans on him more.

I think this was poor planning and preparation more than anything. Could have been avoided but I understand why they did what they did.

They took a gamble that they would not need to give up a pick recognizing that they weren't going to get anyone who was anything more than a stop gap. It was a gamble that did not work out for a variety of reasons one of which was the team laying an egg when they should have been juiced to play in front of the rookie.

At the end of the day I don't think it was a bad thing at all that DiPietro got a game and they likely weren't winning that game with 25 let alone anyone they would have picked up. Not sure what the fuss is really about, although I know it is ultimately about other moves made and not made and not about the actual situation, and it is pretty ironic that many of the people most distressed by it are the same people saying they need to miss the playoffs for the longterm good.

It's just that it's not ideal for DiPietro development for him to be on the bench and not playing or getting lit up in the NHL. I don't think this is as positive as you make it to be. CHL goalies aren't called up by NHL teams for good reason.

You can be upset about the handling of a prospect and want the team to tank. They aren't mutually exclusive.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So what I suggested earlier is apparently the cause of this. The Demko camp (legitimately) said enough is enough, he needs to start playing in the NHL. The Neilson trade then makes sense. Then everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.
Markstrom injured. McKenna claimed. Bachman injured. Demko injured.

How the hell do you plan for this crap? Yes I know, they should have done something earlier, but its just not that easy.

And why does anyone care? We were likely to get our asses kicked by SJ anyways, and we are not going anywhere in the playoffs?

I want a decent pick this year, and I think we start to contend next year. I think we make the playoffs if (big if) Juolevi can graduate, Hughes plays and Tryamkin comes back. Just as long as we don't trade picks for fodder. Maybe its 2 years, but we are not that far away from having a Young great team. EP, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat, senior help in Tanev and Edler, then its just a matter of putting together a decent support group. Yes I know JB is not likely to be able to do this.

Dahlen EP Boeser
Draft Horvat Virtanen / Baertchi
Leivo Sutter Virtanen /Baertschi
Roussel Beagle Whoever

Edler juolevi
Hughes Tanev
Tryamkin Stecher / Hutton

Markstrom
Demko (with Dipietro in the wings)

If not 2019 - 20 certainly the next year.

Reactions: F A N

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
The coach puts Demko in or not and Demko looked fine at the NHL level. I don't see a big problem. It's just that markstrom is clearly better so the coach leans on him more.

I think this was poor planning and preparation more than anything. Could have been avoided but I understand why they did what they did.

It's just that it's not ideal for DiPietro development for him to be on the bench and not playing or getting lit up in the NHL. I don't think this is as positive as you make it to be. CHL goalies aren't called up by NHL teams for good reason.

You can be upset about the handling of a prospect and want the team to tank. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I think the idea of having him around the team practicing and working with Ian Clark for 10 days was fine. Not a stroke of genius, or anything approaching that, but a decent idea for a guy who has already won the Memorial Cup in junior and played in the WJC.

Obviously hard to know for sure but I really doubt that the one game experience will in any way be damaging and I think it is more likely to be good for him. He certainly did not sound crushed by the experience nor would I expect him to be based on what we know of him.

This is not to say it was all ideal but I think many are greatly overreacting with many of those doing so also being on "the team should lose" train. Is all good, as is just a game, but is amusing nonetheless.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I mean even Toronto fans were checking into last night's game thread wondering how something like this could actually happen. The degree of managerial Pejorative Sluration on display here was definitely eye catching. Sadly, I could offer no reasonable explanation for inquiring hockey fans.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I think many are greatly overreacting
Really it's the waiting five weeks to get a viable pro goalie under contract that people can't understand, I don't believe many here are sweating the small stuff. Playing five weeks without an NHL contracted goalie available in Utica was a topic of discussion in the Utica thread for, well, the past five weeks. And sure enough, it reared up and bit us in the ass...

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
The timeline between McKenna getting claimed, and Demko getting hurt leaves a lot of time to acquire a goalie. All issues fans have with that are legit.

Getting upset over giving up a 7th Rd pick for a goalie is ridiculous.

Reactions: Bougieman

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This may be a blessing in disguise. McKenna is almost 36 and has been awful all year outside of a half dozen games in Belleville to start the year. May give them a shot at going on a run.

Mazanec is of the age that he may be a good guy to team with Bachman and DiPietro next year also as they both might need some ECHL time as Bachman was trash this year and DiPietro looks like he may need it

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
At the end of the day who cares? Besides Benning haters no one. We lost one game against the conference leaders and Dipietro isn't dead. He got a game. We lost, it happens. Move on to the next one. Hopefully Marky is ready.

The day you're hanging your hat on a Feb 11th game because of blah blah blah fill in the blanks is the day you prove you know nothing about real sports.

People who want this team ran by competent people care.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Really it's the waiting five weeks to get a viable pro goalie under contract that people can't understand, I don't believe many here are sweating the small stuff. Playing five weeks without an NHL contracted goalie available in Utica was a topic of discussion in the Utica thread for, well, the past five weeks. And sure enough, it reared up and bit us in the ass...

Did it really bite us in the ass? Lost a game where the team played very poorly. I guess if people think we lost because of goaltending then you can make that argument but I don't think we were winning with 25 playing lights out let alone with some journeyman goalie signed or traded for. Was it terrible for DiPietro? I really don't think so but if it was then there was nothing there to begin with.

Anyway, I don't think the fuss from fans and media has much to do about this actual situation but rather has everything to do with other moves made and not made.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
dipietro round two lets goooo
redemption szn

I actually really like the kid. Jury is out if he will ever make the NHL as a starter or backup. His size seems like an issue to me. Maybe just too used too big Swede goalies.

He had a bad WJ tourney. Terrible NHL debut. Nowhere to go but up. Can’t let shots go right thru him. Regardless if HF boards “it was tipped a quarter inch” excuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->