Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire G Marek Mazanec from the New York Rangers

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
They were waiting for over a month for a waiver wire pickup?

You also realize there are goalies who are unsigned who could have been picked up for free, right? At any time during the last 5 weeks.

It's not being unlucky. It's incompetence.
They obviously like Mazanec more than Leighton. There is a relative value thing that you're ignoring.
See my response to another poster above...they just were gambling and lost. It ain't that big a deal. If Demko hadn't been hurt, and they picked up McKenna, we would be having a very different conversation.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Well you didn't put much thought into that, don't know why I expected you would.

Why wouldn't they just continue with Dipietro?
Damn you really put no thought into my response. High again? He is a 19 year old kid that can only be recalled temporarily from junior. Believe he is limited to 30 days or 10 games but I may be off

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
He left himself with 2 goalies under contract in the organization for 35 days in the middle of a season. This isn’t some sort of fluke that you needed a crystal ball to predict.

It was absolutely comical mismanagement and planning that cost the team a draft pick. And cost them a game in their desperate playoff run.

Hahahahahah oh man you've jumped the shark here. If only McKenna was in net last night we would have wonnnn!!!

I've got no issue with how this all played out, even if it wasn't ideal.

I liked the Nilsson trade, getting a pick and opening up space for Demko. McKenna isn't anything special, and if Ottawa wasn't willing to risk losing him to waivers before making the deal (and why would they be?) well the chance of losing McKenna isn't a reason not to make the deal.

Once McKenna was lost, we had a guy on an AHL deal that is worth giving a look to (and seems to have been all right), and finding PTO options is easy enough.

In the bigs, we had two good options, and an emergency 3rd in junior that had been invited to Canada's world championship team last spring. This is enough depth to be patient and see if another option shows up on waivers. Hasn't happened yet, Mikey didn't look ready, and now Benning had given up a very low valued asset to address the situation. I would have been fine waiting a bit longer for an option on waivers, but now I'm wondering about Demko's prognosis.

Of course posters that bend over backwards to rip Benning will be pissed that Benning doesn't have at least ten viable goalie options in the stable "just in case." Or you will see posts like this one from MS where complains about both addressing the issue with an asset and not addressing the issue quick enough. The correct move was absolutely to wait and see what free options shook out...but to think that McKenna or Mazenek or heck even Markstrom but definitely any goalie available for free or nearly free, would have "saved" last nights game is completely laughable.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
People REALLY need to calm down about the 2020 7th Rd pick here ffs. And we will be a better team next year, in the top half so its really a low 7th so really guys we needed to do this as Dipi CLEARLY showed he cant be trusted at this level. Was worth a shot, not a biggie

So do you think the return on Nilsson/del zotto is also a nothing burger or a great trade? (Return being 6th/7th round picks)

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Fair enough. It was a gamble and he lost. It's a matter of opinion whether the gamble was the right thing to do given the risk/reward - basically waiting until he could get a goalie without giving up assets. He waited a long time. He lost. So it's easier to side with the position that he shouldn't have made the gamble (i.e. waited so long). I just mildly disagree, mainly because the downside is almost inconsequential, loss of a 7th.

And the upside was getting a 6th, having Demko ride the pine, damage your prospect's development and decrease the chance of a wildcard spot. Well, that's not really upside, someone help me out here.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
They obviously like Mazanec more than Leighton. There is a relative value thing that you're ignoring.
See my response to another poster above...they just were gambling and lost. It ain't that big a deal. If Demko hadn't been hurt, and they picked up McKenna, we would be having a very different conversation.

They sat on their asses thinking everything was fine. Even when Demko went down they waited and gambled that everything would be fine.

I'm team tank, so I'm loving this, but for a team that's in a playoff hunt this kind of incompetence is unacceptable.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough. It was a gamble and he lost. It's a matter of opinion whether the gamble was the right thing to do given the risk/reward - basically waiting until he could get a goalie without giving up assets. He waited a long time. He lost. So it's easier to side with the position that he shouldn't have made the gamble (i.e. waited so long). I just mildly disagree, mainly because the downside is almost inconsequential, loss of a 7th.

Sure, I think in isolation this wouldn't be criticized so much. When put within the context though of other decisions he's made it's hard to give the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: geebaan and iceburg

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
They sat on their asses thinking everything was fine. Even when Demko went down they waited and gambled that everything would be fine.

I'm team tank, so I'm loving this, but for a team that's in a playoff hunt this kind of incompetence is unacceptable.

giphy.gif

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If only McKenna was in net last night we would have wonnnn!!!

No one would give a damn if McKenna/any AHL tweener goalie signed to NHL contract was in net getting lit up. There's no reason to throw a 19 year old CHL goalie in against a contender with no available backup.

If they aren't trying to make the playoffs and were thinking about long-term, it's a bad strategic move and they put DiPietro into a terrible spot.

If they are trying to make the playoffs, which is what seems to be the case based on player usage by the coach, then it's worse.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
don't give a pick you ****ing idiots michael leighton is right there

or at least make it conditional

Leighton would have to clear waivers after signing, and I’m sure some team would love to put the screws to Benning and make him desperate by claiming him.

This deal makes sense, but also should have been made as soon as McKenna got claimed.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wow - everyone up in arms..........reading comments like "Embarrassed our prized prospect....." Please.............Dipietro looked tiny last night.........I wouldn't call him prized. And if he's a competitor that will just light a fire under him to improve even more.

At the end of the day this just gave all the Benning Bashers a good excuse to get on their computers today. I don't necessarily think this whole scenario was ideal however I certainly don't think it's the "COMPLETE AND TOTAL TRAVESTY" that many on this thread would like you to believe it is. It's been a bit quiet here lately for the Bash crew as Benning has actually looked *gasp half competent at his job (Leivo trade etc.) so I suppose any excuse to get out and do some kicking and screaming the better.

No I'm not a Benning Brother.........If I had my druthers I would probably prefer new management however the amount of kicking and screaming on here is laughable.......over something that in the long run is really a pretty minor matter.......
The hysterical reaction is par for the course with the negative posters on every transaction..Check out the first 3 pages of the Josh Leivo trade.......Cant make this stuff up.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Damn you really put no thought into my response. High again? He is a 19 year old kid that can only be recalled temporarily from junior. Believe he is limited to 30 days or 10 games but I may be off
So you didn't think that hard, he's been here 7 days.

Why did they make the move today again?

Feb 19, 2018
I’m betting Clark sees something in this kid as he’s 6’4 and the exact type of goalie he likes working with.

It would be nice if he could refine his game to get something back out of it.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hahahahahah oh man you've jumped the shark here. If only McKenna was in net last night we would have wonnnn!!!

I've got no issue with how this all played out, even if it wasn't ideal.

I liked the Nilsson trade, getting a pick and opening up space for Demko. McKenna isn't anything special, and if Ottawa wasn't willing to risk losing him to waivers before making the deal (and why would they be?) well the chance of losing McKenna isn't a reason not to make the deal.

Once McKenna was lost, we had a guy on an AHL deal that is worth giving a look to (and seems to have been all right), and finding PTO options is easy enough.

In the bigs, we had two good options, and an emergency 3rd in junior that had been invited to Canada's world championship team last spring. This is enough depth to be patient and see if another option shows up on waivers. Hasn't happened yet, Mikey didn't look ready, and now Benning had given up a very low valued asset to address the situation. I would have been fine waiting a bit longer for an option on waivers, but now I'm wondering about Demko's prognosis.

Of course posters that bend over backwards to rip Benning will be pissed that Benning doesn't have at least ten viable goalie options in the stable "just in case." Or you will see posts like this one from MS where complains about both addressing the issue with an asset and not addressing the issue quick enough. The correct move was absolutely to wait and see what free options shook out...but to think that McKenna or Mazenek or heck even Markstrom but definitely any goalie available for free or nearly free, would have "saved" last nights game is completely laughable.

Lol, you have got to be kidding me.

Benning made a trade without getting Ottawa to waive the guy we were acquiring for the AHL first, or keeping him around until Philly/Toronto weren’t in a goaltending crisis. So we lost the organizational asset we needed. Oops.

He then went 5 weeks in the middle of the season with only 2 goalies in the organization and then was predictably bitten in the ass, forced to embarrass a completely unready teenager, blew a game in the middle of a playoff run, and was then forced to basically give away the pick he acquired in the initial trade in the first place.

It’s a complete, embarrassing clusterf*** and even organizational shills like IMac are giving it to them for it.

But hey, you’ll defend anything! Benning could get drunk and plow his car into a group of pedestrians and you’d blame them for standing in the wrong place.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This whole series of events is hilarious, and clearly demonstrates we need some sort of adult in the room for management decisions. Who makes this big of a mess managing their back-up goalies? God forbid you have these guys making any sort of management decisions that are, you know, moderately important.

Again, there are those that will focus on the move and argue: "Well, it's really not that bad." And like many moves from Benning & Co. it isn't particularly egregious by itself ... but seriously ... how does someone paid this much money to run a multi-million dollar sports organization continually find themselves on the back foot reacting to situations effectively created by a lack of foresight and history of poor moves?

It's just shocking and I'm surprised people are willing to shrug it off because of a few good draft picks in the top ten. The only good news is that we're giving Benning/Weisbrod enough rope to hang themselves. I continue to have faith that at some point this level of incompetence will alienate even their more ardent supporters, and cost them Aquilini's support in the process.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Lol, you have got to be kidding me.

Benning made a trade without getting Ottawa to waive the guy we were acquiring for the AHL first, or keeping him around until Philly/Toronto weren’t in a goaltending crisis. So we lost the organizational asset we needed. Oops.

He then went 5 weeks in the middle of the season with only 2 goalies in the organization and then was predictably bitten in the ass, forced to embarrass a completely unready teenager, blew a game in the middle of a playoff run, and was then forced to basically give away the pick he acquired in the initial trade in the first place.

It’s a complete, embarrassing cluster**** and even organizational shills like IMac are giving it to them for it.

But hey, you’ll defend anything! Benning could get drunk and plow his car into a group of pedestrians and you’d blame them for standing in the wrong place.
what were the pedestrians doing in the middle of a dark intersection ?

Reactions: geebaan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad