Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire G Marek Mazanec from the New York Rangers

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
"The 7th rounder is from the Del Zotto trade. Basically Schenn and Mazanec for Del Zotto. Pretty good value."

"With it being a 2020 pick if he’s under the impression we will be a contender then that 7th pick is not really a loss, granted that’s relied on a few things."

Man r/canucks never fails

The first comment in the thread is someone blaming Philly for somehow getting the Canucks into this situation lmao

I hope those losers never reproduce.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Yes, let’s just ignore that the endgame in all of this was giving Demko a much needed promotion to the bigs. Boy oh boy, Benning sure is dumb for not having a crystal ball to predict Demko’s injury.

Hi why are you ignoring the 5 weeks to get an 3rd string goalie?

I’ve yet to see anyone blame him for the demko injury but rather his failure to get a 3rd string goalie to avoid this situation.

But would you prefer to deflect from the real issue as usual

Reactions: geebaan

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
"The 7th rounder is from the Del Zotto trade. Basically Schenn and Mazanec for Del Zotto. Pretty good value."

"With it being a 2020 pick if he’s under the impression we will be a contender then that 7th pick is not really a loss, granted that’s relied on a few things."

Man r/canucks never fails

r/canucks is comprised of fans who don't know any better. Only positive articles on the Canucks are upvoted and anything critical of the team is downvoted so it's never seen. They'd rather discuss shitposts and memes rather than the actual future of the team.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I dont think Mikey was too embarrassed. He was thrilled to play a game. He isn’t a faberge egg
Did you hear Joe Thornton after the game last night? When the opposition puts it in cruise control because they feel bad for you, it's an embarrassment to the whole franchise.

Mikey taking it in stride doesn't take away from that.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
In the big picture this trade is pretty meaningless obviously, but even then it probably could've been solved much earlier without being forced to give up an asset. Again they had 5 f***ing weeks to solve this, that's where skills like 'foresight' and 'planning' come into play.

This entire process just makes the Canucks look completely bush league. And this sheer incompetence isn't a one off with these guys either.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i would've rather signed matt thiessen and ruined his development than give up a pick
Well that's dumb, the pick is after 200 in the draft.

I get the premise, I want more picks too, but they essentially just upgraded their pick.

I wouldn't have made the original Nilsson trade to begin with though.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Did you hear Joe Thornton after the game last night? When the opposition puts it in cruise control because they feel bad for you, it's an embarrassment to the whole franchise.

Mikey taking it in stride doesn't take away from that.
Big deal, kid played one game. I’m sure the franchise will rebound from this travesty. Did Joe tell reporters they put it in cruise control to spare Mikey’s feelings?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I've not paid that much attention to this.

I think criticizing Benning for trading Nilsson was dumb. Guy sucked here. Benning trading a player for a pick is something we've complained he hasn't done enough.

Now, not getting a goaltender for this long is another issue. I saw somewhere else, but the guy struggles with basic roster building yet people think he can put together a championship caliber team lol

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hi why are you ignoring the 5 weeks to get an 3rd string goalie?

I’ve yet to see anyone blame him for the demko injury but rather his failure to get a 3rd string goalie to avoid this situation.

But would you prefer to deflect from the real issue as usual

Not deflecting.

I’m sure there is more to this then what’s on the surface. I’ll get back to you in this.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Should help. glad Mikey got a game, too bad it was like the Boston game where everything we shot went in.

To some extent SJ took their finger off the trigger, but again, long season, why take a chance injuring players in a game you have pretty much won. I don't think its as much as a sympathy for the kid move, so much as tone it down this one is over, don't get injured.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
This guy is a stud and far better than Leighton:

Marek Mazanec Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
I don't know if he is a stud but should be a better option than Leighton because he is 10 years younger. Leighton looked better this past weekend in a pair of 5 - 2 Comets wins because he did a good job of staying square to the shooter and appearing big in the net. But his reactions are are noticeably slow and couldn't get to the post quick enough on a couple of easy shots that were just wide.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Really, big picture this isn't a huge deal. Its a 7th rounder which is about the least you can give up for a player. I'm just puzzled that there wasn't a player out there they could have signed for nothing over the past 5 weeks. Is there not AHL goalies that are begging for an NHL contract? The Comets signed Leighton on a PTO....are there not a lot of other players out there like that with lots of pro or even NHL experience, that have perhaps been pushed out by prospects in their organization? Realistically, this is for a game or 2 until both goalies are healthy, and it didn't seem like these injuries were all that serious.

I guess they do need a goalie for their AHL team, but this is something that they shouldn't have to give up any assets for.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
So in return for replacing Nilsson with Mazanec and ventilating diPietro, we upgraded from a 7th to a 6th round pick?

What are the difference in odds between a 7th round pick making the NHL vs a 6th round pick?

Is there an opportunity cost to management spending time moving laterally back and forth?

Or for this management group, is it an opportunity benefit, where wasting time on undoing lateral moves prevents them from making their usual bad move?

You're forgetting the key to the whole trade to begin with: clearing the roadblock for Demko to the NHL. Nilsson for sure would have been lost on waivers. McKenna, was a maybe in that regard.

No, the asset management wasn't stellar but after the short term none of it will make any incremental difference whatsoever. What will matter is developing Demko to hopefully be a solid starter for us for years to come and keeping him happy.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I don't know if he is a stud but should be a better option than Leighton because he is 10 years younger. Leighton looked better this past weekend in a pair of 5 - 2 Comets wins because he did a good job of staying square to the shooter and appearing big in the net. But his reactions are are noticeably slow and couldn't get to the post quick enough on a couple of easy shots that were just wide.
I was just messing around, never heard of him. Obviously the org thinks he is an upgrade on Leighton

just22

Aug 2, 2009
r/canucks is comprised of fans who don't know any better. Only positive articles on the Canucks are upvoted and anything critical of the team is downvoted so it's never seen. They'd rather discuss ****posts and memes rather than the actual future of the team.
God they’re so... unbearable. Trying to explain to them why Benning taking over five weeks to find a replacement for McKenna is unacceptable and they respond with saying that Utica doesn’t have a problem with goaltending and that Kulbakov playing is fine as it is...

The Canucks subreddit is for the super casual fan that watches a hockey game and forgets the Canucks exist until the next hockey game.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
First, yes a 7th round pick is really nothing, but did we have to give up the pick when we could have just signed Leighton?

Second, the optics of this do look bad. I guess credit for finally getting another pro level goalie in the organization, but it really does look like they thought they could get away without one until they saw DiPietro get lit up last night. Incompetent management.
Anything can be spun to be incompetent management. Or just maybe they were waiting for a waiver pick-up to prevent trading a pick. Would have been a good plan had it worked. And it made sense in the context of Demko being out a week. But the real news here is that it could mean Demko will be out a significant amount of time and/or Markstrom really is hurt. Gotta admit that it is a little unlucky that the organization's top 3 goaltenders are hurt and unable to play.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
You're forgetting the key to the whole trade to begin with: clearing the roadblock for Demko to the NHL. Nilsson for sure would have been lost on waivers. McKenna, was a maybe in that regard.

No, the asset management wasn't stellar but after the short term none of it will make any incremental difference whatsoever. What will matter is developing Demko to hopefully be a solid starter for us for years to come and keeping him happy.

Exactly. The upside is Demko got all those starts in January before he went down with an inj . . . oh, wait . . .

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00