Confirmed with Link: Canucks acquire G Marek Mazanec from the New York Rangers

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
The first comment in the thread is someone blaming Philly for somehow getting the Canucks into this situation lmao

I hope those losers never reproduce.

r/canucks is comprised of fans who don't know any better. Only positive articles on the Canucks are upvoted and anything critical of the team is downvoted so it's never seen. They'd rather discuss ****posts and memes rather than the actual future of the team.

You should check out the Sutter injury thread in which a guy is arguing and getting upvoted heavily for saying that Sutter is instrumental to the team as evidenced by our record with him in the lineup. If McDavid can't change the fortunes of a team then Sutter surely can't do it.

Reactions: TruKnyte

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Wow - everyone up in arms..........reading comments like "Embarrassed our prized prospect....." Please.............Dipietro looked tiny last night.........I wouldn't call him prized. And if he's a competitor that will just light a fire under him to improve even more.

At the end of the day this just gave all the Benning Bashers a good excuse to get on their computers today. I don't necessarily think this whole scenario was ideal however I certainly don't think it's the "COMPLETE AND TOTAL TRAVESTY" that many on this thread would like you to believe it is. It's been a bit quiet here lately for the Bash crew as Benning has actually looked *gasp half competent at his job (Leivo trade etc.) so I suppose any excuse to get out and do some kicking and screaming the better.

No I'm not a Benning Brother.........If I had my druthers I would probably prefer new management however the amount of kicking and screaming on here is laughable.......over something that in the long run is really a pretty minor matter.......

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Anything can be spun to be incompetent management. Or just maybe they were waiting for a waiver pick-up to prevent trading a pick. Would have been a good plan had it worked. And it made sense in the context of Demko being out a week. But the real news here is that it could mean Demko will be out a significant amount of time and/or Markstrom really is hurt. Gotta admit that it is a little unlucky that the organization's top 3 goaltenders are hurt and unable to play.

I’m not seeing any news on Markstrom with regards to an injury.

I literally just think that the Canucks brass wanted to give Markstrom a rest, while giving Dipietro some NHL experience.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Lol didnt they just trade a servicable backup for a sixth? Never change Jimbo
As it's been said many times, the Nilsson trade was all about making room for Demko. They wanted him to be their back-up this year. They couldn't have kept both Nilsson and Demko at the NHL level and Nilsson would not have cleared waivers. It was the right move to trade him. It's just unlucky that Demko got hurt after just one game.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes, let’s just ignore that the endgame in all of this was giving Demko a much needed promotion to the bigs. Boy oh boy, Benning sure is dumb for not having a crystal ball to predict Demko’s injury.

He left himself with 2 goalies under contract in the organization for 35 days in the middle of a season. This isn’t some sort of fluke that you needed a crystal ball to predict.

It was absolutely comical mismanagement and planning that cost the team a draft pick. And cost them a game in their desperate playoff run.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Exactly. The upside is Demko got all those starts in January before he went down with an inj . . . oh, wait . . .

:laugh: Well the injury timing was unfortunate. Where the whole scenario falls down is that Benning should have acted before Demko got hurt because of Bachman's injury. When Demko went down they the should have acted within hours instead of waiting until DiPietrogate.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Anything can be spun to be incompetent management. Or just maybe they were waiting for a waiver pick-up to prevent trading a pick. Would have been a good plan had it worked. And it made sense in the context of Demko being out a week. But the real news here is that it could mean Demko will be out a significant amount of time and/or Markstrom really is hurt. Gotta admit that it is a little unlucky that the organization's top 3 goaltenders are hurt and unable to play.
Five weeks is probably Four weeks too long to wait (especially since there was nobody on the farm you could call up for even just a warm body role). You're just asking for trouble (especially with "Canuck luck" with respect to injuries/travel).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This sucks. Would have preferred the Canucks signing someone without an NHL deal. But something had to be done after last night. A weird year for the goalie market this year.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Big deal, kid played one game. I’m sure the franchise will rebound from this travesty. Did Joe tell reporters they put it in cruise control to spare Mikey’s feelings?
If you don't think it's a big deal and don't think the organization was embarrassed, why do you think they finally filled the space today?

Like seriously, put your thinking cap on, and answer that question honestly.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
bringing up Leighton would have just meant we needed another goalie for Utica, no?

Personally i was fine with bringing Demko up, thought he deserved a chance. Just because it turned into a shit show and we are losing goalies like mad doesn't mean it was a bad move. Just canuck luck all in all. And so we lose a few games. Big deal.

I hope they address this in the next agreement. You should be able to park one goalie in the AHL at an NHL salary without waivers.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
People REALLY need to calm down about the 2020 7th Rd pick here ffs. And we will be a better team next year, in the top half so its really a low 7th so really guys we needed to do this as Dipi CLEARLY showed he cant be trusted at this level. Was worth a shot, not a biggie

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I’m not seeing any news on Markstrom with regards to an injury.

I literally just think that the Canucks brass wanted to give Markstrom a rest, while giving Dipietro some NHL experience.
Yeah I know. But the reporting is that, as an emergency call up, the only way DePietro is allowed to play is if Markstrom can't. So, they came up with a strain/tightness and wanting to prevent further injury excuse.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
God they’re so... unbearable. Trying to explain to them why Benning taking over five weeks to find a replacement for McKenna is unacceptable and they respond with saying that Utica doesn’t have a problem with goaltending and that Kulbakov playing is fine as it is...

The Canucks subreddit is for the super casual fan that watches a hockey game and forgets the Canucks exists until the next hockey game.

Don't try to debate on there, they don't respond to or with evidence for any of their positions. It's a waste of time talking to those folk.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
People REALLY need to calm down about the 2020 7th Rd pick here ffs. And we will be a better team next year, in the top half so its really a low 7th so really guys we needed to do this as Dipi CLEARLY showed he cant be trusted at this level. Was worth a shot, not a biggie
That'll depend on the blueline situation wouldn't it?

Reactions: TruKnyte

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
That'll depend on the blueline situation wouldn't it?
And upfront dont forget

Kakko Pettersson Eriksson
Leivo Horvat Boeser
Roussell Gaudette Virtanen
Dahlen Beagle Clamato

Hughes Tanev
Edler Stecher
Hutton Whoever

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
As it's been said many times, the Nilsson trade was all about making room for Demko. They wanted him to be their back-up this year. They couldn't have kept both Nilsson and Demko at the NHL level and Nilsson would not have cleared waivers. It was the right move to trade him. It's just unlucky that Demko got hurt after just one game.

I've seen this line of thinking posted a bunch now, and I think the issue isn't that Demko was brought up and Nilsson was traded. The problem that many are taking umbrage with is the fact that it took Benning so long to find a replacement after McKenna was claimed off of waivers. Anyone could look at see that one injury to either Markstrom or Demko would put us in a really bad spot considering we had no one in the AHL to replace either of them. A good GM would have anticipated this much earlier.

Not picking on your post in particular, just wanted to clarify what I believe the main argument is against Benning's handling of the situation.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver

Oh yes more excuses needed for a terrible General Manager.

The common theme with this regime is being reactive instead of proactive

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
If you don't think it's a big deal and don't think the organization was embarrassed, why do you think they finally filled the space today?

Like seriously, but your thinking cap on, and answer that question honestly.
Probably because Demko is going to be out longer than they anticipated

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Wow - everyone up in arms..........reading comments like "Embarrassed our prized prospect....." Please.............Dipietro looked tiny last night.........I wouldn't call him prized. And if he's a competitor that will just light a fire under him to improve even more.

At the end of the day this just gave all the Benning Bashers a good excuse to get on their computers today. I don't necessarily think this whole scenario was ideal however I certainly don't think it's the "COMPLETE AND TOTAL TRAVESTY" that many on this thread would like you to believe it is. It's been a bit quiet here lately for the Bash crew as Benning has actually looked *gasp half competent at his job (Leivo trade etc.) so I suppose any excuse to get out and do some kicking and screaming the better.

No I'm not a Benning Brother.........If I had my druthers I would probably prefer new management however the amount of kicking and screaming on here is laughable.......over something that in the long run is really a pretty minor matter.......

You're welcome to have that opinion of Dipietro but I disagree. I think he's a very good prospect and with the difficulty of predicting goalies, I feel that he is a wonderful safety net for Demko. Both in my opinion, are equally important to the organization. We need one to succeed because Markstrom will be out of his prime when this team is ready for contention.

I agree this is a minor issue but my only confusion is that if Benning was going to cough a pick, he should have done it sooner. There's a reason CHL goalies aren't developed in the NHL as backups. I think it's just a result of poor planning which led to this.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

They were waiting for over a month for a waiver wire pickup?

You also realize there are goalies who are unsigned who could have been picked up for free, right? At any time during the last 5 weeks.

It's not being unlucky. It's incompetence.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I've seen this line of thinking posted a bunch now, and I think the issue isn't that Demko was brought up and Nilsson was traded. The problem that many are taking umbrage with is the fact that it took Benning so long to find a replacement after McKenna was claimed off of waivers. Anyone could look at see that one injury to either Markstrom or Demko would put us in a really bad spot considering we had no one in the AHL to replace either of them. A good GM would have anticipated this much earlier.

Not picking on your post in particular, just wanted to clarify what I believe the main argument is against Benning's handling of the situation.
Fair enough. It was a gamble and he lost. It's a matter of opinion whether the gamble was the right thing to do given the risk/reward - basically waiting until he could get a goalie without giving up assets. He waited a long time. He lost. So it's easier to side with the position that he shouldn't have made the gamble (i.e. waited so long). I just mildly disagree, mainly because the downside is almost inconsequential, loss of a 7th.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00