Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5 Oilers 2 - My kids are better than your kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Oh come on.

You know that Vey is getting the golden boy treatment.

To be fair, its still just pre-season, he is just doing his due diligence before banishing Vey. I think we should put down the pitch forks...until Vey is on the starting roster. That's when we can roast WD and Benning all we want.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
It would hurt his development greatly if he gets injured in a league he has no business being in other than "he needs to get bigger and stronger", as if that'll magically make him a better point producer or defensively.

This is nonsense. "Has no business being in"? Because of a few good games? As Ferraro said on radio earlier this week, there are virtually no examples of guys getting ruined by being sent back, but tons of guys being kept too soon.

McCann is most suited to be a top 9 forward, and we'd likely be playing him on the fourth line with a couple of goons. While I'd like to see him make the team, I will have no problem if he's sent back, scores a ton of points in Junior, and is a major contributor to a World Jr team.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I agree with this 100%.

I've been pumping Benning's tires since Day One (he hasn't had anything nice to say about me by the way), but even I will turn on Benning if McCann gets cut.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen
Dorsett-McCann-Virtanen

Prust

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Hutton-Sbisa

Dontcare

Miller
Markstrom

you pump everyone's tires.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Adjusted for Willie

You forgot Miller

This is nonsense. "Has no business being in"? Because of a few good games? As Ferraro said on radio earlier this week, there are virtually no examples of guys getting ruined by being sent back, but tons of guys being kept too soon.

McCann is most suited to be a top 9 forward, and we'd likely be playing him on the fourth line with a couple of goons. While I'd like to see him make the team, I will have no problem if he's sent back, scores a ton of points in Junior, and is a major contributor to a World Jr team.

McCann dominated junior last year. Just like Horvat had dominated junior and going down would do nothing for his development. McCann had like double Virtanen's points last year.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I agree with this 100%.

I've been pumping Benning's tires since Day One (he hasn't had anything nice to say about me by the way), but even I will turn on Benning if McCann gets cut.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen
Dorsett-McCann-Virtanen

Prust

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Hutton-Sbisa

Dontcare

Miller
Markstrom

I knew you were turning! :popcorn:

:handclap:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
As you should. Benning will have played us all for fools if he lets that happen.

Yeah, no kidding.

I mean, it's an easy decision for me, but if you're going to talk about kids taking vets spots like he does, that's going to happen. He might make some good decisions that I won't, but in a case like that, I think Benning needs to stay true to his word and make sure the kids are in a good position to not be buried.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
You forgot Miller

McCann dominated junior last year. Just like Horvat had dominated junior and going down would do nothing for his development. McCann had like double Virtanen's points last year.

It would do nothing for his development? Why don't we tell that to a team like the Red Wings who regularly keep their players down longer than most would think they should. They seem to turn out OK.

Virtanen is a different case because his game is better suited to being able to slot all up and down the lineup.

I know McCann has played fantastically and I get it, I want to see the shiny new toy too instead of the little ball of underwhelming that is Vey, but some of the hyperbole being thrown around is extreme.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I knew you were turning! :popcorn:

:handclap:

Yeah man, my long awaited face turn on hockeysfuture.com might be coming sooner than expected. If Linden friggin Vey beats out McCann for the 4th line spot, I'm powerbombing Benning through the table (followed by the DX chop gesture).

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

Talk about pushing an agenda. I'm sure if someone called this BS out and dug for examples, there would be a plethora of busts who had good training camps and didn't make their respective teams. But nobody has, and this is just can't be quantified.

Ray Ferraro just likes to throw **** at the wall like it's fact. I don't mind him a lot of the time, but just because this guy says something doesn't mean it's the be-all-end-all.

Every prospect is different.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

So even giving him 9 games is too much? Jeez, that's awfully conservative of you. I don't really any harm in giving him at least that. Ferraro is on point, but virtually none doesn't mean none. Plus, we are the Canucks. Our team name might as well be the Vancouver Murphy's Law.

Not really concerned with him getting 4th line minutes, since this concept has no meaning to WD at all who runs his lines consistently. As for the goons, you don't need them both in games in ****ing October. A few good games? Don't even tell me you want to keep Virtanen now. If you do, I might call what you say as nonsense, him having put one solid game together the whole preseason. Actually, name a player outside of McCann, Horvat, or Hutton who have had TWO good games this preseason. I bet you'll struggle.

Nonsense? :laugh: They say I have a high horse. What we have here is an argument where somewhere in the middle is a logic consensus. But you have fun slinging mud then. Don't hurt yourself.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
So even giving him 9 games is too much? Jeez, that's awfully conservative of you. I don't really any harm in giving him at least that. Ferraro is on point, but virtually none doesn't mean none. Plus, we are the Canucks. Our team name might as well be the Vancouver Murphy's Law.

Not really concerned with him getting 4th line minutes, since this concept has no meaning to WD at all who runs his lines consistently. As for the goons, you don't need them both in games in ****ing October. A few good games? Don't even tell me you want to keep Virtanen now. If you do, I might call what you say as nonsense, him having put one solid game together the whole preseason. Actually, name a player outside of McCann, Horvat, or Hutton who have had TWO good games this preseason. I bet you'll struggle.

Nonsense? :laugh: They say I have a high horse. What we have here is an argument where somewhere in the middle is a logic consensus. But you have fun slinging mud then. Don't hurt yourself.

Markstrom!

And hey, wait a sec. Virtanen has the highest scoring face in the whole pre-season. That's good for something, no? He's like Chuck Norris on skates. His chin scores goals!

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, no kidding.

I mean, it's an easy decision for me, but if you're going to talk about kids taking vets spots like he does, that's going to happen. He might make some good decisions that I won't, but in a case like that, I think Benning needs to stay true to his word and make sure the kids are in a good position to not be buried.

Honestly, most of the vitriol from my POV comes from all summer where Benning and Linden said "we need young guys to push for spots", "we'll make room for them if that happens", "younger and faster is better", etc. And now we have someone doing that. Hey, McCann hasn't been sent home yet. I'll give them that, I have to say though, I am a pessimist, a bit of an intuitive thinker, and admittedly somewhat paranoid. And I think everyone here by now knows what my stance on size being an issue in the NHL, which'll likely be a knock on McCann at his weight. It's really the perfect storm here of getting on my **** list big time which is why I'm really ****ing passionate about this kid making the team and at the least getting his 9 games which I'm sure management can make happen without a trade.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I want to see the Canucks go with these lines next game.
Sedins-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen
Burrows-McCann-Dorsett/Prust

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartkowski

A little bit of experimentation and a little bit of chemistry building.

Vey, Kenins are off my team at this point.

Cracknell I'd keep around as a physical 4th line center, but would be willing to send him to the minors to keep 8 D (and keep Corrado off the waiver wire).

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Talk about pushing an agenda. I'm sure if someone called this BS out and dug for examples, there would be a plethora of busts who had good training camps and didn't make their respective teams. But nobody has, and this is just can't be quantified.

Ray Ferraro just likes to throw **** at the wall like it's fact. I don't mind him a lot of the time, but just because this guy says something doesn't mean it's the be-all-end-all.

Every prospect is different.

Right, Ferraro doesn't know !#%t. The guy should stop in here once in awhile to learn something.:sarcasm:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I have my fingers crossed it's Virtanen instead of McCann. Virt could actually use it, and McCann has simply outplayed him. Or we can just waive Vey and Prust (admit the mistakes) and let them both play.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

If McCann stays even for just 9 games, I would hope that he isnt' saddled with both Prust/Dorsett as his wingers. IMO there is room to either scratch one of them or have one of them play on the 3rd line and give McCann one of Burrows/Hansen to play with on the 4th.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Markstrom!

And hey, wait a sec. Virtanen has the highest scoring face in the whole pre-season. That's good for something, no? He's like Chuck Norris on skates. His chin scores goals!

Eh. Virtanen has been alright, tonight was his first big offensive night. But he's been the most rookie-like of all the rookies. He's getting his feet wet, doesn't want to get over-zealous, but he's doing the right things. He completely disappears for times as well. I think best case scenario would see him in Utica this year, but we know that just can't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad