Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5 Oilers 2 - My kids are better than your kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
i dunno. i was always a big fan of kassian, but the air feels... clearer with out him, somehow. i still think benning's idea was less about getting a return from kassian than it was just getting rid of him in the knowledge that there'd be a big push from new youth this year

That's bananas though. At least try to sneak Kassian through waivers if you have to pay to get rid of him.

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Baertschi Horvat Vrbata
Burrows McCann Hansen
Higgins Sutter Dorsett
Kenins

Plenty of room for youth there even with Kassian. If Gaunce makes a push for the team Sutter can move up replacing McCann with Gaunce stepping in as 4C. Alternatively you could deal one of Burrows or Higgins for a mid pick and slot him in on the wing. If Virtanen makes a push, move Dorsett or run with 14F

Even if getting rid of Kassian was the goal, paying a pick and taking on salary wasn't necessary.

Probably don't want to go on about this though in the GDT thread, it will get off topic fast. If you reply to it in the other thread.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
re: prust blocking spots for kids: it hasn't happened yet. the line of conversation was in response to the idea that he'd be the 13th man

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
OMG if they are really gonna send down McCann because he had 1 game where he didn't score lol

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If McCann gets sent back to Junior will the greyhounds be any good this year?

Does anybody know if Nick Ritchie is old enough to play for the Ducks AHL team.

Would be good to know if the greyhounds have a decent team for McCann to further develop with.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
McCann hits the inside of the post on a play he created.

WD - "FINALLY a night where McCann didn't score let me send his ass back down lel"

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I can get on board with that.

Still not over the Lack trade though. I should be reading Lack/Markstrom in goal.

I'll have to slightly disagree with this.

Management must have felt VERY confident in

1) Markstrom's ability to take over the crease within two years
2) Markstrom ultimately becoming a better goalie than Eddie Lack.

Time will tell obviously, but I am of the opinion that the above two points will hold true.

The problem in keeping Lack is that you'd have to sign him for 3+ years - probably around 3.5-4 million....if we're being optimistic (my guess is that Lack would have wanted at least 4-5 years). With Miller, at least his contract expires in two seasons.

And I do think that having some kind of pedigree at a high level is a factor. Miller played in the 2010 Olympic finals and that experience is something you can't ignore. Whether we like it or not, Miller did have a brief stretch there where he was an elite goalie. That experience helps if the Canucks manage to make the playoffs (and don't use last season as an example as Miller entered Game 5 still injured and rusty after a long layoff).

I think Benning made the right move in keeping Miller and parting ways with Eddie Lack. Lack would have wanted term, and given management's apparent confidence in Markstrom, signing Lack to a long term deal wouldn't have made sense.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
were any of baertschi's assists actually any good? i didn't notice any of them.

yup .. number 4 was ( redacted ) under pressure at his own blue line to spring Virtanen on the other side of the rink, who carefully got his stick and the puck around the Oilers defender against the boards right on Horvats tape, who in turn had speed to out skate his man and put it top cheese to make that light behind the net blush.

Let's make note that the original face off was won by Horvat as well.

I felt Sven played an excellent game this evening. Created plays and kept an eye on his defensive responsibilities as well. If it ends up being Horvat between Baertschi and Vrbata, that line should produce some great goals. However, I really like Virtanen on that wing ... his speed made things happen and both Horvat and Sven seem to find where he is on the ice.

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
It's not the end of the world if McCann goes down. He could probably play in the NHL this year but I don't think it would hurt him terribly to develop for another year. It also gives us more of an opportunity to get Gaunce into the line up.

greasy goals

Mar 7, 2014
re: prust blocking spots for kids: it hasn't happened yet. the line of conversation was in response to the idea that he'd be the 13th man

I feel you on the 'air clearing' aspect of Kassian. Having a player who mysteriously gives it 50% effort on a regular basis feels problematic, even if the stats are favorable. You have kids coming up, and it needs to be uncomplicated: work hard - succeed.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Didn't Benning or WD say that McCaan would play 2 more games in the pre-season, just yesterday?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
It's not the end of the world if McCann goes down. He could probably play in the NHL this year but I don't think it would hurt him terribly to develop for another year. It also gives us more of an opportunity to get Gaunce into the line up.

I thought McCann isn't AHL eligible. Once he goes down he stays down until his season is over.

Unless I'm wrong and he can play in the AHL

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Because we need to get Prust in, right, Willie? If this turns out true, I hope the media roasts Benning for his constant prattling of youths "threatening" veterans. At this point, McCann and Virtanen have badly outplayed Vey and Prust.

No kidding.

Also Hutton outplaying Sbisa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: