Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2, Wild 4: Halfway point of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
He could put Schroeder on the 2nd unit, on the half-wall. Even when Schroeder was on the 2nd unit, it was Raymond working the half-wall, while 5'8" Schroeder was in the slot and in front of the net...

I would imagine AV is in the verge of trying just about anything, but until our center depth is fixed, his options are fairly limited.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
AV has exactly one top 9 calibre center on the team right now, H.Sedin. After that we go to Schroeder, a rookie getting his first taste of action and Max Lapierre who is a 4th line center. Gillis has yet to address the loss of Hodgson, Malhotra and Kesler. The center depth is atrocious, AV is being forced to shoe horn wingers into the middle, something you can get away with for a couple of games but not exactly a long term formula for success.

Thing is, its alot harder to acquire those pieces then just well I'm going to get a 2nd line center that can check so when Kesler comes back the new guy can go down to the 3rd line. The problem here is the coaching staff not putting the team in a situation to be successful with what they have. This is what the lineup should be with the current situation.

Daniel Henrik Kassian
Booth Schroeder Higgins/Raymond
Hansen Burrows Raymond/Higgins
Sestito Lapierre Weise

Ballard Hamhuis
Garrison Edler
Alberts/Barker Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

Thats the best lineup combination IMO in what we have right now. Raymond and Higgins can switch places depending on the teams the Canucks are playing, more physical teams Higgins is in the 3rd line checking role smaller teams Raymond can play down there. Ballard is Bieksa like both have gaffs that a solid defenceman can cover and both are offensive minded. Tanev can play with anyone and make the safe smart play so put him with our two worse defenceman.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Thing is, its alot harder to acquire those pieces then just well I'm going to get a 2nd line center that can check so when Kesler comes back the new guy can go down to the 3rd line. The problem here is the coaching staff not putting the team in a situation to be successful with what they have. This is what the lineup should be with the current situation.

Daniel Henrik Kassian
Sestito Lapierre Weise

Ballard Hamhuis
Garrison Edler
Alberts/Barker Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

Thats the best lineup combination IMO in what we have right now. Raymond and Higgins can switch places depending on the teams the Canucks are playing, more physical teams Higgins is in the 3rd line checking role smaller teams Raymond can play down there. Ballard is Bieksa like both have gaffs that a solid defenceman can cover and both are offensive minded. Tanev can play with anyone and make the safe smart play so put him with our two worse defenceman.

I think Burrows and Schroeder should switch places.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver

Daniel Henrik Kassian
Sestito Lapierre Weise

Ballard Hamhuis
Garrison Edler
Alberts/Barker Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

So you believe having a rookie centering the second line while a winger centers the 3rd line is a recipe for success? I sure don't. In fact, I think that looks like a disaster. To be frank, any lineup combination is going to be a band aid solution until we acquire a center or get Kesler back.

I will say of all the wingers, Burrows was clearly the best at center.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
So you believe having a rookie centering the second line while a winger centers the 3rd line is a recipe for success? I sure don't. In fact, I think that looks like a disaster. To be frank, any lineup combination is going to be a band aid solution until we acquire a center or get Kesler back.

Who cares what order they're listed in. Burrows would play the tough minutes, Schroeder would play the easy ones. Whatever labels you want to assign to them.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012

Not saying its the best solution but with what we have its the only one.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Who cares what order they're listed in. Burrows would play the tough minutes, Schroeder would play the easy ones. Whatever labels you want to assign to them.

Still a band-aid solution and it's clear that even with Kesler's eventually return, this team is paper thin down the middle.

Not saying its the best solution but with what we have its the only one.

That's the point I'm making, AV hasn't been given much to work with here.

Edit: let me also say that Gillis has time to make a deal. This team is not as bad as they've been playing, if Gillis can nab someone at the deadline that can help down the middle, this team has as good a shot as any.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Still a band-aid solution and it's clear that even with Kesler's eventually return, this team is paper thin down the middle.

That doesn't excuse AV from the horrible job he has done this season together with his assistants. He knew full-well going into the season that our breakouts were being neutered throughout the 2nd part of the season. He knew full-well that even with Kesler our PP just wasn't getting it done and needed a change. That's without touching on some of his weaknesses as a coach that he hasn't done anything to improve on (our offensive zone coaching is some of the worst in the league).

He has rewarded all the wrong players (for ****** play). He should also take full responsibility for trying to force Kesler into a shutdown role as soon as he was back which resulted in us losing a bunch of games we shouldn't have (Sedins were doing just fine playing other top lines). After Kesler's injury he has tried everything but the most common sense option (going back to what worked before Kesler got back).

That's not to mention his unprofessional approach when it comes to handling his players as illustrated by his comments about Ballard and also Luongo last playoffs (the whole 'going with who gives me the best chance' might be nice for him, but it certainly puts the players into a bad light).

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012

That's the point I'm making, AV hasn't been given much to work with here.

So who do you suggest we trade and for who? Sure AV dosen't have alot to work with at center, dosen't mean he can just say to hell with it, and have lines that don't sense, and then when he puts players in a role not to succeed like Schroeder and then expects them to succeed is insane.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
I honestly have no clue!:laugh:

I don't know who or how Gillis is going to address the center depth problem but to me, it's the one glaring hole that needs to be plugged.

I agree but IMO our biggest issue is the coaching staff, if we put the players that we have at this moment in the right situations, we have a chance. The way AV and the rest of the coaching staff has handled the lineup, the players individually, I don't think we have a chance.

Crows*

Booth with some comments I agree with.

"I was thinking about LA last year and they went through a stretch where they weren’t playing too well. They didn’t even know if they were making the playoffs. Then, they get on a roll, guys start playing and then they have an identity. I think we have to get an identity.

"Each line needs to get a different role and we all need to embrace those roles."

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I agree but IMO our biggest issue is the coaching staff, if we put the players that we have at this moment in the right situations, we have a chance. The way AV and the rest of the coaching staff has handled the lineup, the players individually, I don't think we have a chance.

I'll agree to disagree on that point but I know I'm in the extreme minority on the AV issue on these boards.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Booth with some comments I agree with.

"I was thinking about LA last year and they went through a stretch where they weren’t playing too well. They didn’t even know if they were making the playoffs. Then, they get on a roll, guys start playing and then they have an identity. I think we have to get an identity.

"Each line needs to get a different role and we all need to embrace those roles."

They also got a new coach and traded for Jazzy Jeff Carter

Wizeman*

People get too strung out on who is called the second and third line blah blah. If you call schroeder the second line center they all flip out that he isnt ready. Call him the third , now he aint big or gritty enough.

How about Kesler is our shut down center -call it second or third line - and schroeder plays easier minutes on the -other top 3 line thats not the Sedin or Kesler line' :laugh:

:handclap:

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Part of getting a new identity.

Exactly, and to Booth's point its more than just finding a role and sticking to it. Especially when you have a staff and core that has been around for as long as it has now.

There need's to be a significant shake up.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
How about Kesler is our shut down center -call it second or third line - and schroeder plays easier minutes on the -other top 3 line thats not the Sedin or Kesler line'

Why does Schroeder deserve easy minutes at the expense of Kesler?

At the very least Kesler can produce at a ~50pt clip while not being a liability. Do we want to limit that even further so we can maybe squeeze a ~35 pt pace from Schroeder?

Get a real shutdown C and give Kesler/Sedin the easy minutes. Let Schroeder learn the game from the 4th line.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
The shake-up is for Booth to start scoring. Kesler is out and he needs to step up. It doesn't matter how good his possession numbers are, he's paid to score goals and he is not doing it.

Raymond, Higgins and Hansen have picked up some of the slack since Kesler went down but really, there is no second line right now. Raymond and Hansen got killed in scoring chances today and there wasn't anyone else to step in. Booth and Kassian need to be those guys. This team needs to figure out how to score by committee and do it fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad