Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2, Wild 4: Halfway point of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I like this station better already but does gillis ever come on? I chose team simply because gillis and players and staff were always on team, do they ever listen or come on here?

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
time to add jensen to the lineup.........

Why? So AV can put Weise back on the 2nd line, and throw Jensen out there with Sestito? AV wastes skill players or turns them into grinders. He has no room for pure offensive skill unless you're over 1 ppg.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Watching the Kings and Flames, I believe it was mentioned that Sutter believes in constantly attacking the opposition, even when up. That shows the separation in coaching philosophies.

When winning, fight as if you are losing. It's the best way to put away opponents.

Sitting on a lead is not a problem reserved for the Canucks. However, if you look around the league, the best teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston, and LA all still attack and force the issue when they have the lead. Hawks at their best (this season and their Cup season) do it too.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
If you waived Booth, there would be teams lined up to claim him. I don't see the problem that some posters are finding.

Who said anything about waiving him? I agree that would be stupid.

The smart thing would be to package him with one or two other pieces for either a clear upgrade or two, or to a bottom feeder at the draft for a top 3-5 pick.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I like this station better already but does gillis ever come on? I chose team simply because gillis and players and staff were always on team, do they ever listen or come on here?

No, mostly because team1040 has the radio rights to the Vancouver canucks.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Is there a link for an albertan?

Edit nevermind found it. Does gillis go on this station or ever listen?

I only chose team1040 cause gillis is always on, the callers hurt me though.

Oh my goodness is it ever good. It feels like I'm listening to a Vancouver radio station too. And it doesn't feel like I'm getting cheap thoughtless tag lines down my throat either.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
No, hyperbole. That said, we have been dominated a little too often this season and outside of maybe two games, have not returned the favor. Right now we have no business in the discussion of those four teams. We look tired, lazy and complete mediocre.

Off the top of my head, I can only remember the first game of the year against Anaheim, then obviously the Detroit one as far as being dominated goes. We've been close in pretty much every game this year.

And I think our record reflects that. Lots of overtime games, GF and GA are almost the same.

Considering how far they are from playing up to their potential, and missing their second line centre and top pairing defenseman, I think they've done a pretty good job of hanging around in a really tough Western Conference.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Whose this host, hes alot better then anyone on team already.

A guy from team called in just now, and hes throwing out good counter points.

Is this david pratt? I hear people complain about him (maybe homer fans because he does not sound like a homer), but I like him so far.

Actually sounds like its a different dave.

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Off the top of my head, I can only remember the first game of the year against Anaheim, then obviously the Detroit one as far as being dominated goes. We've been close in pretty much every game this year.

And I think our record reflects that. Lots of overtime games, GF and GA are almost the same.

Considering how far they are from playing up to their potential, and missing their second line centre and top pairing defenseman, I think they've done a pretty good job of hanging around in a really tough Western Conference.

Definately a lot of issues to get fixed. Now that Cory has a $4 million cap hit versus a $900K cap hit, the team has either a $4 million or $5.33 million cap hit sitting on the bench each night.

Defense. Seems to fall apart when they lose a RHD. No one is able to play on the right side. Also, with 5/6 Dmen making big money, you'd think this team could handle 1 of them being out. So far, Ballard in his 3rd year still hasn't found a way to fit into AV's system. Garrison is still figuring things out.

Power Play - Loss of the Hoff really showing. No one is capable of being the puck up the ice. That's why they always rely on the drop pass.

Forwards - need to put the players in roles that they are best suited for. Let them make mistakes in the regular season. That's how they learn and grow.

Steve Bennett*

Anyone else notice how sweet of a shot that was on Higgins' goal? Fasts release. Something about that guy - he has one sweet fast release - he gets a good pctg of his goals by catching goalies off guard. Edler had the same opportunity in the 2nd and stalled, stalled, stalled, and shot once the goalie was in position and settled. I've been pleasantly surprised by Higgins this year again...

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Very rational post:nod:

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site

All fair points, but are they closer or farther away from winning a Cup this year? Because that's the only thing that matters. "Being close" in every game is Edmonton's goal. "Hanging around" is Calgary's goal. The Canucks' goal is the Cup, full stop. We shouldn't be satisfied with the other two - for this team, that's an abject failure.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
AV has exactly one top 9 calibre center on the team right now, H.Sedin. After that we go to Schroeder, a rookie getting his first taste of action and Max Lapierre who is a 4th line center. Gillis has yet to address the loss of Hodgson, Malhotra and Kesler. The center depth is atrocious, AV is being forced to shoe horn wingers into the middle, something you can get away with for a couple of games but not exactly a long term formula for success.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
AV has exactly one top 9 calibre center on the team right now, H.Sedin. After that we go to Schroeder, a rookie getting his first taste of action and Max Lapierre who is a 4th line center. Gillis has yet to address the loss of Hodgson, Malhotra and Kesler. The center depth is atrocious, AV is being forced to shoe horn wingers into the middle, something you can get away with for a couple of games but not exactly a long term formula for success.

Not to mention he's using Lappiere as a second/third line centre, while sticking the rookie in a situation to fail.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sitting on a lead is not a problem reserved for the Canucks. However, if you look around the league, the best teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston, and LA all still attack and force the issue when they have the lead. Hawks at their best (this season and their Cup season) do it too.
It's amazing how far ahead the Bruins look compared to the Canucks since they met in the Cup finals.

They have less talent but way more heart and their players outside of the top line are so much better.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site

I'd be more inclined to accept reference to injuries or lack of personnel had this level of play not extended to January of 2012.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012

Having Lapierre centering the 2nd line is just flat out embarrassing for a team that's supposedly going to challenge for a Cup. It seriously needs to be addressed ASAP.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Not to mention he's using Lappiere as a second/third line centre, while sticking the rookie in a situation to fail.

Honestly, what's he supposed to do? He would friggin love it if Schroeder took the ball and ran with it. He's done nothing though, despite getting 1st unit PP time. I'm not blaming Schroeder either, he's getting his first taste of action and shouldn't be relied on for scoring but the Canucks have had their hand forced because we have no depth down the middle.

Gillis is hanging AV out to dry here, I'm not sure why. Hopefully he's got something in the works.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'd be more inclined to accept reference to injuries or lack of personnel had this level of play not extended to January of 2012.

And had Burrows not done as well as he did through the first 12 games (relatively well anyway). AV had a line-up that was working. Kesler came back, got injured, and for some reason we never went back to it. Makes zero sense to anyone but AV.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Honestly, what's he supposed to do? He would friggin love it if Schroeder took the ball and ran with it. He's done nothing though, despite getting 1st unit PP time. I'm not blaming Schroeder either, he's getting his first taste of action and shouldn't be relied on for scoring but the Canucks have had their hand forced because we have no depth down the middle.

Gillis is hanging AV out to dry here, I'm not sure why. Hopefully he's got something in the works.

He could put Schroeder on the 2nd unit, on the half-wall. Even when Schroeder was on the 2nd unit, it was Raymond working the half-wall, while 5'8" Schroeder was in the slot and in front of the net...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad