Pre-Game Talk: Canes vs Blackhawks. A new beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Will they though? They were 1st in CF% last year and were 23rd in goals. 6th in 16-17 and 20th in goals. The Canes putting up great numbers that don't lead to wins or goals isn't new. Goaltending is obviously part of that, but there's something else going on there.

Just make it a point to watch them for a few games. Based on last season (haven't seen much of them this year yet) the breakdowns were awful. Ward/Darling were on their own on many nights.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016
I mean, it's no secret in Carolina's case. After keeping faith in Cam Ward for too long, they keep making bad bets on sub-par goaltenders who they think can break out of a backup role into a starters job. They haven't had a league-average or better save percentage since 2011. That's going to prevent a lot of winning, for any team.

Just by looking at the stats for the Carolina goalies, I've noticed that all 3 have been average at best, with Darling resuming his horrific play from last season

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So they were super hot for a small sample of games, and now they've been cold for another small sample of games. One might almost imagine shooting percentage is uncontrollable.

They have scored the same number of goals this season as the Boston Bruins. One of these teams has NHL caliber goaltending. The other does not.

If they continue generating the shots and chances they are, they'll score plenty over 82 games. Their much bigger problem is that they cannot get a save. You cannot have sub-900 goaltending and win in the NHL. Period. Having a legit goalie wouldn't instantly shoot them to the top of the Stanley Cup contenders list, but it would make them a solid playoff team and a pain-in-the-ass out.

Actually, the Canes over the last few seasons contradict your theories pretty well. They are a perfect example of quantity over quality not working. We've talked about this multiple times and nobody is going to change your mind, but all shots and all shooters are not created equal. Throwing 40 shots a game at the net from the perimeter(which is what the Hawks did the other night) doesn't score goals. Having poor shooters chucking the puck at the net also doesn't score goals.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That is the proper time for the drop pass unlike when Q was having them drop it no matter what.

Holy **** they are moving the puck and rotating...
By the time the Dman actually gets control of the puck, the forwards are all standing still at the blue line, basically.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
True, though they're generating far more high-danger slot-area chances this season than last season. They've kind of loosened up defensively from last year (they were top 5 in suppressing high-danger chances against, now they're only top 10 or so), and are pushing for more dangerous offensive chances.

It's possible they're just missing one or two high-end finishers to really make the most of that possession. If I'm a Canes fan, I'm still far less worried about goals than I am the 874 SV% their goalies are rocking. If that team gets even close to 915 SV%, they're a playoff team.... but at this rate, they'd probably just settle for baby steps and find a guy that can get over the 900 mark.
lol, that is all?? only 1 or 2 high-end finishers for them to be good??? this is the exact case for the majority of bad teams...they lack high end talent which is some of our points against your love for them

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Actually, the Canes over the last few seasons contradict your theories pretty well. They are a perfect example of quantity over quality not working. We've talked about this multiple times and nobody is going to change your mind, but all shots and all shooters are not created equal. Throwing 40 shots a game at the net from the perimeter(which is what the Hawks did the other night) doesn't score goals. Having poor shooters chucking the puck at the net also doesn't score goals.

I still don't understand why Corsi is used more commonly than high danger scoring chances.

Reactions: RayP

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Just by looking at the stats for the Carolina goalies, I've noticed that all 3 have been average at best, with Darling resuming his horrific play from last season

Scott has played a grand total of 2 games. His .893 percntage is best of the 3 goalies. Personally I like McElhenney, Mrazek and Darling. The fact that all 3 are under .900 speaks volumes as to the team in front of them. The one game I did see this season, McEllhenney was solid.

Crawford is now at .907. Does that reflect his performance or the team in front of him?

Reactions: joshprost99

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not really at all. Far side the wing is streaking into the zone which will force the D back.
he is standing there (just ahead of the red line) until the D gets close to him.

Besides that, it's still a push em back (which doesn't look to be going anywhere), which is all I originally said.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
That is the proper time for the drop pass unlike when Q was having them drop it no matter what.

I don't mind the drop pass as a possible weapon but it can't be THE goto for every entry. When Kane hits the ops blue line and all the the other players are standing still, it is already a failure.

If ops are standing up at the blue line, the dump and chase works wonders when done correctly. Blackhawks are awful at it.

Reactions: Krivo25

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Depends on whether core vets buy in..I expect much better play from the support guys now that Country Club Q is gone..If highly paid core vets do not buy-in to a new TRAM cohesion then time we start asking g them if they want to waive their NMCs and be traded..

The re-build vision whether the core likes it born not ..but the dais of Q tolerating core vet goof offs and 5 minutes a night play in too many games are gone. Collison has no history with our Core and will not invoke special tolerance if they fail to buy in.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

They're still not executing it entirely correct, IMO.

The proper personnel in the right places, though! :thumbu:

Still had wings moving way too slow entering the zone, but it looks much improved.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
They didn't drop it to ONE guy coming up the ice all by himself, either. They had another guy right with him, and a far side winger that wasn't just standing still at the blue line. He moved with them once they reached center ice and was the third passing option. This is how you should be utilizing the push-back entry.

It's all in the subtleties.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They didn't drop it to ONE guy coming up the ice all by himself, either. They had another guy right with him, and a far side winger that wasn't just standing still at the blue line. He moved with them once they reached center ice and was the third passing option. This is how you should be utilizing the push-back entry.

It's all in the subtleties.

Yeah, I noticed Schmaltz was moving right along with the puck carrier. It's normally just a solo Kane and guys standing still at the blueline.

Like I said, not perfect, but improved. Still need a little better execution/timing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad