Pre-Game Talk: Canes vs Blackhawks. A new beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I thought it would be worthwhile to discuss Thursday's game a bit early, with JC behind the bench. It appears that the line-up won't change much to begin with but there will be many questions in the next while. My immediate question is: How will the veterans react to the new guy after Q?

Reactions: joshprost99

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
They will play hard as to create a good impression. same lineup not enough time to change schemes. winning or losing this game against another .500 team wont tell us much of anything. Will be interesting to see minutes played maybe?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Rough first test going up against a possession and shot generating juggernaut with this D corps. Hope Crow is feeling limber.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016
It will be interesting to see how the Hawks do in their first game with Colliton. I'm looking forward to it.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
e
Im not anti analytics, but analytics are designed to find out what leads to wins. To that end, I'm so tired about hearing about how great the Canes are when it never leads to anything.

Yeah, all last season I kept hearing how Canes were so good on paper - when my eye test said something different. If Canes are anything like last season they won't allow a lot of shots but will yield quite a few grade A chances. The trick for Chicago will be to bury their chances.... something they have struggled with for quite a while under Q.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I expect to see a much more aggressive team in all zones. The stick checking crap will probably go away pretty quickly, as pretty much every D in Rockford took the body in the games I watched.

I expect the team to have a different feel for sure, even if there hasn't been much time to change things up.

Reactions: BobbyJet

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
After listening to the JC interview, it always cracks me up that inevitably there will be media types who ask questions or make comments comparing hockey to other American sports, football, baseball, basketball. Hockey is unique. It is the ultimate team game, IMO, and especially true that stats don't mean a helluva lot.

I found JC's sense of humour and straight forward responses rather refreshing and so far he hasn't provided any vanilla answers that we constantly hear these days. I like his personality. Let's hope his coaching is just as likeable.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I expect to see a much more aggressive team in all zones. The stick checking crap will probably go away pretty quickly, as pretty much every D in Rockford took the body in the games I watched.

I expect the team to have a different feel for sure, even if there hasn't been much time to change things up.

Love to hear that.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Im not anti analytics, but analytics are designed to find out what leads to wins. To that end, I'm so tired about hearing about how great the Canes are when it never leads to anything.

I mean, it's no secret in Carolina's case. After keeping faith in Cam Ward for too long, they keep making bad bets on sub-par goaltenders who they think can break out of a backup role into a starters job. They haven't had a league-average or better save percentage since 2011. That's going to prevent a lot of winning, for any team.

Reactions: joshprost99

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I mean, it's no secret in Carolina's case. After keeping faith in Cam Ward for too long, they keep making bad bets on sub-par goaltenders who they think can break out of a backup role into a starters job. They haven't had a league-average or better save percentage since 2011. That's going to prevent a lot of winning, for any team.

Yes, when comparing Canes TEAM numbers to other teams they aren't very good .... but it's more than a goaltender problem. I saw them play enough last season to see their porous defensive gaffes. TBH, their style of play reminds me of Q's Blackhawks in a few ways.

Reactions: Pez68

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Lets Go Hawks

Every Hawk should be rested and looking to impress the New Coach

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Some wisdom about the PP as well:

I.E. The flexibility of the 1-3-1 and take what ops give you,

Yup. Like what he said there as well. “We have 5, they have 4, they can’t take away every option so just have confidence and do what works”. That was in response to the question from boyle about always looking for the pretty play.

The thing I like about JC is he seems direct and honest in his answers but they also seem rooted in logic and not just hockey speak. Actions will speak louder than words but so far liking what his message is.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I wonder if we start seeing D skating the puck into the zone and D allowed to play the body.

Not sure about playing the body in the dzone but Zawaski said he expects to see guys finishing their checks more from what he’s heard about JC time in RFD. Not that they’ll try to be overly physical but they will try to be harder to play against? idk guess we’ll see

Reactions: Kurtosis

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
e

Yeah, all last season I kept hearing how Canes were so good on paper - when my eye test said something different. If Canes are anything like last season they won't allow a lot of shots but will yield quite a few grade A chances. The trick for Chicago will be to bury their chances.... something they have struggled with for quite a while under Q.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::laugh::laugh:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
It will be interesting to see what happens if Q does want to coach again. I’m hoping he does because it probably means less of this.
they werent burying there chances because Quenneville was coaching. Do you see what the Q hate has done to you people?

Reactions: Blackhawks

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
they werent burying there chances because Quenneville was coaching. Do you see what the Q hate has done to you people?
I just want to see your guy get another job. It appears as if you love him as much if not more than the team.

And is that what he actually said? Because I didn’t see it that way. If that’s what he meant I also disagree though. A player not burying a chance is on him, not the coach.

Reactions: ChiHawks10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad