Pre-Game Talk: Canes vs Blackhawks. A new beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I am not really a Q supporter but shen it comes to choosing between him and Stan he is the lesser evil by far and just a small problem and not the problem. If Q had a Panarin and another top 4 D on this team which is really what it is missing then this would be a completely different story. When you over pay your players and have like no depth how on earth do you expect to compete? I want to be wrong but the most likely scenario is that we will all witness the same old for the rest of the season and Stan fired. Macdonough can say all he wants that he believes in Stan but he is really forced to say that, I think when Rocky was talking in the summer that changes will be made he wasn’t limiting it to Q.

I hear you and I think it was pretty close between the two. SB was fortunate to get a reprieve.

Reactions: Blackhawks

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The Kings won, twice. I get it. The canes haven't made the playoffs this decade. There's a big difference between the two.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
sure, if you want to ignore the fact that they are not scoring goals...they have scored a MASSIVE 15 goals in their past 10 games...keep these narratives coming though, they aren't losing games on their goaltending, it has been fine enough, they are ****ting the bed offensively outside of their first week to start the year...I dont get this insane love by some on here for Carolina, they are not that good of a team, and it isn't just the goalies.

So they were super hot for a small sample of games, and now they've been cold for another small sample of games. One might almost imagine shooting percentage is uncontrollable.

They have scored the same number of goals this season as the Boston Bruins. One of these teams has NHL caliber goaltending. The other does not.

If they continue generating the shots and chances they are, they'll score plenty over 82 games. Their much bigger problem is that they cannot get a save. You cannot have sub-900 goaltending and win in the NHL. Period. Having a legit goalie wouldn't instantly shoot them to the top of the Stanley Cup contenders list, but it would make them a solid playoff team and a pain-in-the-ass out.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Manning working on his shot from the point...Coach JC in the background..

tumblr_phw3bxkIxa1xkok61o1_500.gif

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So they were super hot for a small sample of games, and now they've been cold for another small sample of games. One might almost imagine shooting percentage is uncontrollable.

They have scored the same number of goals this season as the Boston Bruins. One of these teams has NHL caliber goaltending. The other does not.

If they continue generating the shots and chances they are, they'll score plenty over 82 games. Their much bigger problem is that they cannot get a save. You cannot have sub-900 goaltending and win in the NHL. Period. Having a legit goalie wouldn't instantly shoot them to the top of the Stanley Cup contenders list, but it would make them a solid playoff team and a pain-in-the-ass out.
Carolina has scored 4 goals or more just 4 times this season...there really wasn't a stretch of good games for them either..they have scored 2 goals or less 7 times this year, 3 goals or less 10 times..looks more than a sample size to me..

I am not saying that they haven't had issues in net, but it seems for whatever the reason, this team gets excuse after excuse despite never winning anything or close to it the past 6 plus seasons...they have issues, and it is not just in net.

Reactions: BobbyJet

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Will they though? They were 1st in CF% last year and were 23rd in goals. 6th in 16-17 and 20th in goals. The Canes putting up great numbers that don't lead to wins or goals isn't new. Goaltending is obviously part of that, but there's something else going on there.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Their goaltending woes are on the goalies but don't act like how they play D does not impact the situation.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Will they though? They were 1st in CF% last year and were 23rd in goals. 6th in 16-17 and 20th in goals. The Canes putting up great numbers that don't lead to wins or goals isn't new. Goaltending is obviously part of that, but there's something else going there.

True, though they're generating far more high-danger slot-area chances this season than last season. They've kind of loosened up defensively from last year (they were top 5 in suppressing high-danger chances against, now they're only top 10 or so), and are pushing for more dangerous offensive chances.

It's possible they're just missing one or two high-end finishers to really make the most of that possession. If I'm a Canes fan, I'm still far less worried about goals than I am the 874 SV% their goalies are rocking. If that team gets even close to 915 SV%, they're a playoff team.... but at this rate, they'd probably just settle for baby steps and find a guy that can get over the 900 mark.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Hopefully arty scores one tonight for his baby. Looking forward to seeing what JC has changed

Reactions: BobbyJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad