Pre-Game Talk: Canes vs Blackhawks. A new beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Carolina averages 3.5 penalties taken a game (9th worst). We might get a good look at the new PP scheme tonight. Their PK is also pretty bad at 70% (3rd worst) so we might even see a goal. Please.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I mean, it's no secret in Carolina's case. After keeping faith in Cam Ward for too long, they keep making bad bets on sub-par goaltenders who they think can break out of a backup role into a starters job. They haven't had a league-average or better save percentage since 2011. That's going to prevent a lot of winning, for any team.
Absolutely. Their goaltenders get outplayed almost on a nightly basis.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I just want to see your guy get another job. It appears as if you love him as much if not more than the team.

And is that what he actually said? Because I didn’t see it that way. If that’s what he meant I also disagree though. A player not burying a chance is on him, not the coach.
i mean u can read what he said. maybe he meant it another way but thats what he typed. I certainly like the team more then Q and i will be rooting for colliton to be a good coach and there is nothing to dislike about him right now. everything iv seen from him has been good. i just dont like the misdirected blame.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Q tolerated softness via stick-checking which I detested. .a younger Keith and Hammer in his prime were masters at it and I guess Q thought every Dmen should be the same as them..alas I do not believe that was ever possible...To help in that area you need by in from the forwards to cover their checks if we did not disrupt the play and get the puck back off a stick-check by our d-men....and obviously the support from our forwards in recent seasons after our last Cup has slacked off. .Q never fixed these support problems of the forwards in our zone to help out bourbon soft defense and so picks stay in linger and more goals end in the back of our net.

I HOPE that JC gets our D to abandon the stock checks which have become futilecwaivesxas the oops get by them and instead use the body to bust up the play and get our forwards to pounce on the loose pucks that come from this and then get then get the puck out and up the ice ...It does not mean we will become the most physical team I the league. .but if he improves our softness even 50% to more body work ..then that is going gto help enormously .

The risks I this are perhaps greater injuries result ..but we just cannot go on being so soft with the futile stick-checks that do not seem to cause any problems anymore for our oops.

Joel never changed his philosophy on this ...when he had bigger more physical forwards he would let them use the body but the den were taught to be like Keith and Hammer with the stick ...maybe Joel was afraid his D would get banged but if they body checked more ..SEABROOK when younger and faster did use the body more..but now he cannot move more than 3 feet each way in the d-zone so we see a lot less of it from him and so he too went stick-check and a lot less body .

So we got this very soft D and a lot less support from the forwards ..It resulted in making us too easy to play in iurcd-zone. .JC has got to turn around this bad situation.

But to do this ...all must buy in and sacrifice their body more ..

st

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Q tolerated softness via stick-checking which I detested. .a younger Keith and Hammer in his prime were masters at it and I guess Q thought every Dmen should be the same as them..alas I do not believe that was ever possible...To help in that area you need by in from the forwards to cover their checks if we did not disrupt the play and get the puck back off a stick-check by our d-men....and obviously the support from our forwards in recent seasons after our last Cup has slacked off. .Q never fixed these support problems of the forwards in our zone to help out bourbon soft defense and so picks stay in linger and more goals end in the back of our net.

I HOPE that JC gets our D to abandon the stock checks which have become futilecwaivesxas the oops get by them and instead use the body to bust up the play and get our forwards to pounce on the loose pucks that come from this and then get then get the puck out and up the ice ...It does not mean we will become the most physical team I the league. .but if he improves our softness even 50% to more body work ..then that is going gto help enormously .

The risks I this are perhaps greater injuries result ..but we just cannot go on being so soft with the futile stick-checks that do not seem to cause any problems anymore for our oops.

Joel never changed his philosophy on this ...when he had bigger more physical forwards he would let them use the body but the den were taught to be like Keith and Hammer with the stick ...maybe Joel was afraid his D would get banged but if they body checked more ..SEABROOK when younger and faster did use the body more..but now he cannot move more than 3 feet each way in the d-zone so we see a lot less of it from him and so he too went stick-check and a lot less body .

So we got this very soft D and a lot less support from the forwards ..It resulted in making us too easy to play in iurcd-zone. .JC has got to turn around this bad situation.

But to do this ...all must buy in and sacrifice their body more ..

st
How or why so you conclude to avoid Injury or body pain is why to not be as physical. It also went concurrent with going in shooting lanes.

But in a speed league and world you try to get physical and fail you're out of position and blown by. Guys will push around you.

Jc may seem to want D to attack the puck carrier more quickly coming into the zone and around but not certainly with physicality

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I hope people aren’t expecting too much, though in here there still seems to be many who rate this talent high based on a few names with past successes.

I have very very modest expectations when it comes to wins, and its not fair to the new coach if you do expect some magical turnaround. Q was definitely way past his expiration date and the dissmisal of him and his minions was needed. However this is still the same roster of an aging and diminished core, young players who may of may not develop, and a bunch of guys who many not even deserve to be on an NHL roster. The greatest coach cannot turn dung into diamonds. A noticeable change in philosophy, systems, and speed of play more in line with today’s successful teams is what I am hoping for, even if it doesn’t result in a big change in wins.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I hope people aren’t expecting too much, though in here there still seems to be many who rate this talent high based on a few names with past successes.

I have very very modest expectations when it comes to wins, and its not fair to the new coach if you do expect some magical turnaround. Q was definitely way past his expiration date and the dissmisal of him and his minions was needed. However this is still the same roster of an aging and diminished core, young players who may of may not develop, and a bunch of guys who many not even deserve to be on an NHL roster. The greatest coach cannot turn dung into diamonds. A noticeable change in philosophy, systems, and speed of play more in line with today’s successful teams is what I am hoping for, even if it doesn’t result in a big change in wins.
fair enough!

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I think the roster is a bit better than you give it credit for, but I agree that expectations should be tempered. Changes to systems and to a lesser extent the lines/deployment will take time.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I mean, it's no secret in Carolina's case. After keeping faith in Cam Ward for too long, they keep making bad bets on sub-par goaltenders who they think can break out of a backup role into a starters job. They haven't had a league-average or better save percentage since 2011. That's going to prevent a lot of winning, for any team.
sure, if you want to ignore the fact that they are not scoring goals...they have scored a MASSIVE 15 goals in their past 10 games...keep these narratives coming though, they aren't losing games on their goaltending, it has been fine enough, they are shitting the bed offensively outside of their first week to start the year...I dont get this insane love by some on here for Carolina, they are not that good of a team, and it isn't just the goalies.

Reactions: Pez68 and BobbyJet

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I just want to see your guy get another job. It appears as if you love him as much if not more than the team.

And is that what he actually said? Because I didn’t see it that way. If that’s what he meant I also disagree though. A player not burying a chance is on him, not the coach.

I am not really a Q supporter but shen it comes to choosing between him and Stan he is the lesser evil by far and just a small problem and not the problem. If Q had a Panarin and another top 4 D on this team which is really what it is missing then this would be a completely different story. When you over pay your players and have like no depth how on earth do you expect to compete? I want to be wrong but the most likely scenario is that we will all witness the same old for the rest of the season and Stan fired. Macdonough can say all he wants that he believes in Stan but he is really forced to say that, I think when Rocky was talking in the summer that changes will be made he wasn’t limiting it to Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad