Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI

well-duh-gif-7.gif

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's a good thing though. If M/M are legit (for this year at least), that covers a major weakness this team has had for...at least 3 years.

Obviously, the goalscoring is going to remain an issue until it's addressed in some way, but one step at a time. And given this team's history, I had far less confidence they could have addressed their goaltending than they could their scoring woes. So for them to get the bigger one out of the way (at least temporarily) is a major boon.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I saw Quick’s stat line before the game and immediately knew how it would end. Lucky for me NHL TV app showed a highlight preview named “Clifford seals it” when I tried to fast forward through intermission so I only had to sit through the 1st period.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Offensive woes = dead horse

One point that has been interesting to notice, in the last 4 non-Darling starts the Canes have blown a shutout in the 3rd period all 4 times. The defense has done it's job of keeping the score down, the goal tending has been spectacular recently, and the penalty kill has been outstanding. Even with my own apathy, if the defensive part is what the Canes will look like going forward then that is something to be excited about. It really does feel like we need at least four more of top six/nine skilled players to add to the team to be competitive.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Offensive woes = dead horse

One point that has been interesting to notice, in the last 4 non-Darling starts the Canes have blown a shutout in the 3rd period all 4 times. The defense has done it's job of keeping the score down, the goal tending has been spectacular recently, and the penalty kill has been outstanding. Even with my own apathy, if the defensive part is what the Canes will look like going forward then that is something to be excited about. It really does feel like we need at least four more of top six/nine skilled players to add to the team to be competitive.

We only traded 2 this off-season who have put up.....what 80ish pts between them.

They're easy to acquire right??

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
Man I really hope some kind of trade happens soon. Something to theorically (I know) force Rod to play Williams and Staal lower than the 3rd line minutes. Really ain’t helping that Aho has kind of hit a wall here recently and TT isn’t in the same level as late year.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Man I really hope some kind of trade happens soon. Something to theorically (I know) force Rod to play Williams and Staal lower than the 3rd line minutes. Really ain’t helping that Aho has kind of hit a wall here recently and TT isn’t in the same level as late year.
LOL. No matter who we acquire, I assure you, Staal and Williams' roles will NOT change. It's becoming increasingly obvious to me that RBA has not grasped onto the new NHL. His absolutely horrendous use of Svech makes this painfully obvious to see. A 5 on 3 with tons of open ice and you pull arguably your most talented player off the ice? Inexcusable . Rod is in WAYYYYY over his head

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Is it really a beating a dead horse acknowledging the team that is starved of offensive talent basically gave away two top 6 (if not top line talents) and only got one borderline top line talent in return? I think it's a huge problem because now we'll have to subtract from an area of strength (defense and prospects) to plug the offensive holes especially if Ferland walks, and who knows if we'll eventually have to plug defensive holes if Faulk and TVR don't keep up their current play, and if Fox doesn't pan out/sign. This is assuming we trade Pesce for a forward and Hamilton rebounds from the nondescript player he currently is now. The offseason trades could become even more disastrous than they are now, which is sort of relevant.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Is it really a beating a dead horse acknowledging the team that is starved of offensive talent basically gave away two top 6 (if not top line talents) and only got one borderline top line talent in return? I think it's a huge problem because now we'll have to subtract from an area of strength (defense and prospects) to plug the offensive holes especially if Ferland walks, and who knows if we'll eventually have to plug defensive holes if Faulk and TVR don't keep up their current play, and if Fox doesn't pan out/sign. This is assuming we trade Pesce for a forward and Hamilton rebounds from the nondescript player he currently is now. The offseason trades could become even more disastrous than they are now, which is sort of relevant.

Yes.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Yeah that trade will involve finally relenting and letting go of that precious, precious D, in order to buy us back a few offensive pieces which will then be worthless to the team as the D starts sucking again.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
fjf3NLu.gif

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Yes, yes it is. Especially when we get game-to-game updates about whether Skinner/Lindholm scored that night, whether we want them or not. Given the pattern, I can only assume we'll be getting the same about Zykov, so that's something to look forward to.

They were traded. It sucks. They were questionable trades in the first place, and it shouldn't come as any surprise they didn't work out for us. We get it. Move on.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yes, yes it is. Especially when we get game-to-game updates about whether Skinner/Lindholm scored that night, whether we want them or not. Given the pattern, I can only assume we'll be getting the same about Zykov, so that's something to look forward to.

They were traded. It sucks. They were questionable trades in the first place, and it shouldn't come as any surprise they didn't work out for us. We get it. Move on.

This team is miserably bad because of the gross mismanagement of the talented players we have and have previously had. Until the people responsible for that horrific failure either change their ways or go away, I think it has to remain an active part of the conversation. Things will not get better unless everyone involved actually confronts their failure. We know that people from the org read these boards- the point has to keep being made until they get the message.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Lol. Okay.

Hey Don, we think we know hockey better than you, so we're gonna ***** until you change your ways!

C'mon.

A pissed fanbase means less people interested in buying tickets, buying merchandise, and tuning into TV broadcasts. The rule in business is that if one person takes the time to say it, they generally represent 10s or 100s who aren't saying it to you but feel the same way.

Those of us on these boards are the hardest of the hardcores. Yet posters who have been active here for years are actively talking about stepping back from watching this team or abandoning the team completely. At any functional organization, that wouldn't just be a warning, that would be a 5 alarm fire. But that said, this isn't exactly a functional organization. Even with Dundon's off ice improvements, the lack of commitment to putting a decent team on the ice continues to actively alienate fans. If the trend continues, the team will fail, and I find myself caring less and less. I just have to hope that the Caps won't be employing Wilson and Orpik by the time I'm forced to start rooting for them.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There's not much else to discuss when it comes to diagnosing why this team is as mediocre as it is. You can't pin it on leadership this time and you can only pin so much of it on coaching.

How's the captaincy thing working out, btw? For as much as was made about who wore the 'C', the switch from the co-captains to Williams has meant what?

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the true value in that letter is the excuse it gives fans, upper management and ownership alike for why the team underperformed. You can't really blame talent, because if you do, you walk right into what is the hopelessness of having a team not good enough to get to the next level and most of the time, not having the means to improve it in the short-term.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
A pissed fanbase means less people interested in buying tickets, buying merchandise, and tuning into TV broadcasts. The rule in business is that if one person takes the time to say it, they generally represent 10s or 100s who aren't saying it to you but feel the same way.

Those of us on these boards are the hardest of the hardcores. Yet posters who have been active here for years are actively talking about stepping back from watching this team or abandoning the team completely. At any functional organization, that wouldn't just be a warning, that would be a 5 alarm fire. But that said, this isn't exactly a functional organization. Even with Dundon's off ice improvements, the lack of commitment to putting a decent team on the ice continues to actively alienate fans. If the trend continues, the team will fail, and I find myself caring less and less. I just have to hope that the Caps won't be employing Wilson and Orpik by the time I'm forced to start rooting for them.

I'm sorry, but if you've followed the team this far, you're not "walking away" now. This stretch of games isn't even Top 5 of terrible Canes moments in the past decade.

If you stuck around a winless October, you're not abandoning them now. If you stuck around top-pairing defenseman Jay Harrison or first-liner Chad LaRose, you can't be overly concerned about the quality of the roster NOW of all times.

But hey, everyone's got their breaking point, and if this LA loss was inexplicablly yours, so be it. But frankly, I've seen the team in far direr straights than they're in at the moment and nary a peep from "the hardest of the hardcores."

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Here here!! Don't be mad at the idiots in charge "move on" to the next rebuild it will be great!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00