GDT: Canes visiting in LA vs Kings

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
A RHS down low on the 5-on-3 was fine. Williams doesn't have much left, but that's one situation that I think he can contribute.

Having Staal as the trigger-man in the slot over Svechnikov was a bad choice. I get that you want Staal out there to win the faceoff, but he can win it and get off the ice. He's not doing enough offensively right now to warrant that ice time.
I feel like we had a guy who was a right shot and really good down low, but it seems like his name’s been waived from my brain.. hmmm...

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I feel like we had a guy who was a right shot and really good down low, but it seems like his name’s been waived from my brain.. hmmm...
You mean the guy who scored zero goals in 13 games?

Tired of debating which career AHL player is our savior. If we want high end talent up front, we're gonna have to pay for it. Probably more than we would like.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011

Tired of debating which career AHL player is our savior. If we want high end talent up front, we're gonna have to pay for it. Probably more than we would like.
With all due respect Hank, Zykov performed admirably last year but was given ZERO chance to succeed this year. He cannot be classified as a career AHL player at this point.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016

Or just find someone who is willing to trade a 30+ goalscorer for a 2nd, and some poo.

1) When you trade away 2 of your top 4 most offensively talented players (arguably 2 of your top 3). You are going to have a tough time scoring goals.
2) When your coach overplays grinders and guys he's friends with you're going to have a tough time scoring goals
3) When your fist line consists of a turnover machine, brick hands McGee, and a grinder plug you're going to have a tough time scoring goals
4) when you can't score on a 5-3 pp because that turnover machine and brick hands McGee are out there the whole time you're going to have a tough time scoring goals

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Replace Jordan Staal’s offensive minutes with a playmaker that Rod will actually trust and this team scores an extra goal per game. Staal has bottom-10 hands among regular NHLers. Any team playing him 24 minutes a night centering 5v3 opportunities is going to be an offensive wasteland.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC

You are right, but it’s not even about Zykov in particular for me. It’s about misusing players, trying to fit them into round holes instead of trying to play to their strengths. Zykov is a useful player in certain situations, but he was never put in those situations. No, he’s not a well rounded player, not by a long shot. But put him in a position to succeed and that’s a few more goals, a few more successful PPs, we didn’t have before.

I’ve heard every theory for why this team is and has been mediocre. No talent, horrible goaltending, bad coaches. The only thing now is that the goaltending is clearly not the issue. Say what you will about Peters, but the offense was never this bad under him. He may have lost the room, but it was the goaltending that sunk him while he tried every possible lineup combination. Did Peters have enough talent to win (other than goaltending)? Why is it that when we trade E Staal, Lindholm, and Skinner they seem to blow up? Is it because our team stifles talent or because we don’t have enough talent for these guys to play with? With Francis and Peters we had a passive GM and blend-o-matic coach. Now we have an impetuous front office and a coach unwilling to make changes or adapt to his players. How do we know any talented players will even succeed here?

We’re all stuck and sick of asking the same questions year after year. And while so much has changed the one constant is the mediocrity and stubborn nepotism of the organization.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Or just find someone who is willing to trade a 30+ goalscorer for a 2nd, and some poo.

1) When you trade away 2 of your top 4 most offensively talented players (arguably 2 of your top 3). You are going to have a tough time scoring goals.
2) When your coach overplays grinders and guys he's friends with you're going to have a tough time scoring goals
3) When your fist line consists of a turnover machine, brick hands McGee, and a grinder plug you're going to have a tough time scoring goals
4) when you can't score on a 5-3 pp because that turnover machine and brick hands McGee are out there the whole time you're going to have a tough time scoring goals

Can you please clarify what you mean brick hands McGee is? We have lots of options. I'm guessing Jordo?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
You are right, but it’s not even about Zykov in particular for me. It’s about misusing players, trying to fit them into round holes instead of trying to play to their strengths. Zykov is a useful player in certain situations, but he was never put in those situations. No, he’s not a well rounded player, not by a long shot. But put him in a position to succeed and that’s a few more goals, a few more successful PPs, we didn’t have before.

I’ve heard every theory for why this team is and has been mediocre. No talent, horrible goaltending, bad coaches. The only thing now is that the goaltending is clearly not the issue. Say what you will about Peters, but the offense was never this bad under him. He may have lost the room, but it was the goaltending that sunk him while he tried every possible lineup combination. Did Peters have enough talent to win (other than goaltending)? Why is it that when we trade E Staal, Lindholm, and Skinner they seem to blow up? Is it because our team stifles talent or because we don’t have enough talent for these guys to play with? With Francis and Peters we had a passive GM and blend-o-matic coach. Now we have an impetuous front office and a coach unwilling to make changes or adapt to his players. How do we know any talented players will even succeed here?

We’re all stuck and sick of asking the same questions year after year. And while so much has changed the one constant is the mediocrity and stubborn nepotism of the organization.

I ask myself this a lot.....why does everyone underachieve in a Canes jersey? I thought it was coaching the past years but I should probably eat crow there. I'm starting to believe lots of players don't want to play for this org.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
With all due respect Hank, Zykov performed admirably last year but was given ZERO chance to succeed this year. He cannot be classified as a career AHL player at this point.
I don't buy that narrative. His audition last season was late in the year when the pressure was off. Yes, he looked impressive and his goal scoring seemed to camouflage the limitations in his overall game. In retrospect, his success could have caused him to be overconfident coming in to this year.

TBH, I thought he looked lazy and disengaged (not the hardest worker in practice either), which earned him healthy scratch status ultimately. I think he was given a chance but blew it not the other way around.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I ask myself this a lot.....why does everyone underachieve in a Canes jersey? I thought it was coaching the past years but I should probably eat crow there. I'm starting to believe lots of players don't want to play for this org.
We have the wrong players. And we keep having the wrong players. And the players we think are the wrong players are actually the right players, but we trade away.

I think good players are like uranium in a nuclear reactor: you need critical mass to make it work. If you don't have critical mass it doesn't work, it doesn't mean the uranium is "broken", just that you don't have enough. And when you don't have enough and it is not working, it is still toxic. We keep trading away guys that aren't working because they are "toxic", but in reality, we need to bring more like them in so it all works.

Plugs are like iron: they always work, but are often covered in rust.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Just now watching the goal replay.

2 minutes left so Rod subs in McGinn to the Wallmark-Martinook line like he likes to do to protect the end of the game. McGinn proceeds to get clowned on a pivot.

Even the tiny adjustments that Rod is willing to make suck. Not saying that McGinn shouldn’t be out there, just mixing lines at the end of the game to protect leads seems intuitively that it could lead to coverage breakdowns.

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Even the tiny adjustments that Rod is willing to make suck. Not saying that McGinn shouldn’t be out there, just mixing lines at the end of the game to protect leads seems intuitively that it could lead to coverage breakdowns.

I mean, if he had done something that normally works with staal, but didn't with wallmark, sure, but it wasn't. It was blown coverage on who he normally covers because he was watching the puck on a set faceoff play. Martinez waited to see if he would look away like a receiver faking a db, and he did.

McGinn is overrated defensively, and that was awful play on his part, but the team didn't score a single goal and lost basically 1-0. In that kind of game, a single play is going to define the entire outcome, never mind the other 59 where i thought mcginn was pretty good.

To throw wally a bone, Williams was fine on the 5 on 3, it was staal who shouldn't have been out there. Rask, wallmrk, have aho take thd draw and send in Hamilton...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes