Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Goaltender's a member of the team, isn't he? What are you even talking about? Now we're looking at the next goaltender (not that he's a good one) in a long list of fall guys so that the Leafs can make excuses for a plainly broken roster?

They're doing it right now because by your 3 year window if they're really deadlocked, the advantage obviously goes to the team up 3-1 in the current series. The reason you don't want to use a 7-8 year window is due to the relative ages of the cores.

If that's how this goes, the fact that they've lost core players and are much older than the prime Leafs works even harder against the Leafs.

The Leafs played 1 game this series with their core together.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Leafs fans look at microcosm snippets of hockey history… “but but but eBay about when Mathews had a hemroid In 2022 and the br01ns gooned it up??!?”…. Shut up. Go to bed. You stink. An embarrassment to hockey

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
They got .898 goaltending over the entirety of the regular season.

Not much of a drop, that.

I disagreed with the decision to start Samsonov since the start. No idea why they didn't even try Woll in the third period of Game 1 - he put up better numbers than Samsonov both this season and last. They waited until the third period of Game 4 to even try him.

I'm hoping Woll at least gets the start Game 5 because Samsonov has shown he is not the guy.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The Leafs played 1 game this series with their core together.
Oh give it a f***ing rest, it's the playoffs. If you're waiting for all the stars to align you'll still need tougher players, because it just isn't that easy.

If you have four important players and can't win without all of them then you have a shit roster, 3/4 should be enough if you're paying that much for them. This is soft reasoning and not that you have any impact in the decision making of the real team, it's really emblematic of the problem prevailing in that organization.

It's always something else, nobody wants to pull the slack in the rope. It's a suspension or an injury or blaming a goaltender instead of asking anyone to find a new level and do more than they really thought they could do in the moment, and that's just not the NHL playoffs.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Toronto is a team of mercenaries.

They tanked which is always perilous because then you're counting on your young teen players with special skills to be special people.
Crosby was (they didn't tank, they were a poverty franchise for a bit due to ownership woes), McDavid is special. The Leafs core has a bunch of laissez faire guys.
Nylander is impervious to pressure, but he also isn't really a self-starter and won't inspire anyone else. He could be part of a good team on a team with a leader/culture.

Marner is a petulant whiner. His dad is a dumbass who has seemed to just whine and leverage his son's immense talent to get special treatment.
What a shock when his son crumbles under adversity and cries to the ref when things don't go his way.

Matthews is incredibly talented, but I don't think he cares a lot about Toronto or their legacy. I think he likes being famous, and is amazing at what he does. With his size, if he had Mackinnon's mentality he literally would be close to as good as McDavid. But as it is, he seems content to get his regular season cookies and look forward to the post game parties in the playoffs.

Tavares is incredibly milquetoast and not going to inspire anyone. It's funny because on the Islanders there were a couple of times it felt like he picked his team up by the scruff of the neck, but against Toronto he's a threat if the puck finds him in the slot, otherwise he's irrelevant.

Morgan Rielly should be the captain and it's not even close. It's incredible to think that it's so apparent from out here and yet within the dressing room they miscast Tavares so poorly.

Having all of this money tied up in 4 of the same type of forwards means that the Leafs bring in new 'depth' every single year. Well, since all of them know that there's no chance they are coming back, they can't sway the 'core' because they're all substitute teachers.
So what do they do? They probably leverage the increased interest (since it's the Leafs) into a higher next contract.

So it's mercenaries getting the most money, and then mercenary mentalities for veterans who know they can't be there more than 9 months.

This will go down in history as a criminal misuse of talent by the Leafs' braintrust. It all started with the extra year for Marleau, signing Tavares, and dealing Kadri for Barrie.

As a Leaf's hater whose own team was basically hopeless for 85% of the last 8 years, I thank the Leafs for giving me mirth. But for Leaf's fans it must be absolutely heartbreaking and I do feel bad for those people.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Oh give it a f***ing rest, it's the playoffs. If you're waiting for all the stars to align you'll still need tougher players, because it just isn't that easy.

If you have four important players and can't win without all of them then you have a shit roster, 3/4 should be enough if you're paying that much for them. This is soft reasoning and not that you have any impact in the decision making of the real team, it's really emblematic of the problem prevailing in that organization.

It's always something else, nobody wants to pull the slack in the rope. It's a suspension or an injury or blaming a goaltender instead of asking anyone to find a new level and do more than they really thought they could do in the moment, and that's just not the NHL playoffs.
I'll tell you right now, even this comment, that makes a lot of sense, is lost on some here.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

They tanked which is always perilous because then you're counting on your young teen players with special skills to be special people.
Crosby was (they didn't tank, they were a poverty franchise for a bit due to ownership woes), McDavid is special. The Leafs core has a bunch of laissez faire guys.
Nylander is impervious to pressure, but he also isn't really a self-starter and won't inspire anyone else. He could be part of a good team on a team with a leader/culture.

Marner is a petulant whiner. His dad is a dumbass who has seemed to just whine and leverage his son's immense talent to get special treatment.
What a shock when his son crumbles under adversity and cries to the ref when things don't go his way.

Matthews is incredibly talented, but I don't think he cares a lot about Toronto or their legacy. I think he likes being famous, and is amazing at what he does. With his size, if he had Mackinnon's mentality he literally would be close to as good as McDavid. But as it is, he seems content to get his regular season cookies and look forward to the post game parties in the playoffs.

Tavares is incredibly milquetoast and not going to inspire anyone. It's funny because on the Islanders there were a couple of times it felt like he picked his team up by the scruff of the neck, but against Toronto he's a threat if the puck finds him in the slot, otherwise he's irrelevant.

Morgan Rielly should be the captain and it's not even close. It's incredible to think that it's so apparent from out here and yet within the dressing room they miscast Tavares so poorly.

Having all of this money tied up in 4 of the same type of forwards means that the Leafs bring in new 'depth' every single year. Well, since all of them know that there's no chance they are coming back, they can't sway the 'core' because they're all substitute teachers.
So what do they do? They probably leverage the increased interest (since it's the Leafs) into a higher next contract.

So it's mercenaries getting the most money, and then mercenary mentalities for veterans who know they can't be there more than 9 months.

This will go down in history as a criminal misuse of talent by the Leafs' braintrust. It all started with the extra year for Marleau, signing Tavares, and dealing Kadri for Barrie.

As a Leaf's hater whose own team was basically hopeless for 85% of the last 8 years, I thank the Leafs for giving me mirth. But for Leaf's fans it must be absolutely heartbreaking and I do feel bad for those people.
And then add letting Hyman walk who has outscored the entire core 4 significantly these playoffs in fewer games

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Can’t believe Dubas brought in these bum assistant coaches and a collection of bad defensive players in Reaves, Domi, Bertuzzi, Edmundson and Lybushkin. How could he trade a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th for Dewar, Edmundson, Lybushkin at the deadline for a team trying to win now? How do you not make any major surgery after being killed by Florida?

How could Dubas do this

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston

Did you copy paste that cry baby nonsense from a word doc? Get a grip

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Can’t believe Dubas brought in these bum assistant coaches and a collection of bad defensive players in Reaves, Domi, Bertuzzi, Edmundson and Lybushkin. How could he trade a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th for Dewar, Edmundson, Lybushkin at the deadline for a team trying to win now? How do you not make any major surgery after being killed by Florida?

How could Dubas do this
Dubas didn't bring them in. What he did was ruin the payment structure of Leafs for years to come by giving Tavares $11M. Then Matthews just HAD TO PAID more than that, then Marner just HAD to be paid close to that. What a clown show.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Did you quote the wrong person?

I'm criticizing the Leafs and backing it up.

And the fact that I'm literate enough to bang out a few paragraphs in 10 minutes isn't really the insult you think it is.
I’ll back off because I’m on a vitriol filed rant. I appreciate folks that can fire off thoughts thoughtfully. I digress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad