TSN: Canes trying to extend Pesce this summer but will trade him if no agreement; Sabres & Oilers are interested

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina reportedly has been trying to make a major trade up front for a while now. Legit insider rumors have linked them to Eichel, Tkachuk, Meier and Lindholm.

It’s unconventional for a club in that competitive position to accept futures, but it makes sense in that context.

Think of it this way. If Pettersson doesn’t want to commit in Vancouver by mid-season and the Canucks are meh again, Carolina needs to be there. The roster player in an Eichel-like deal is there (Jarvis/Necas). The pick can be offered. The Krebs equivalent may not; depending on how Morrow is valued, it may be a big drop after Nikishin.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
The Sabres are HIGHLY unlikely to try to go after 2nd round picks and Kochetov. Pesce + 4th for Krebs + Ostlund would be more likely IMO. Gives Carolina a bottom six forward with team control, and a top 6 Center prospect. Sabres get a top 4 d-man and a minor mid round pick for a small value bump.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
The Sabres are HIGHLY unlikely to try to go after 2nd round picks and Kochetov. Pesce + 4th for Krebs + Ostlund would be more likely IMO. Gives Carolina a bottom six forward with team control, and a top 6 Center prospect. Sabres get a top 4 d-man and a minor mid round pick for a small value bump.
No, no it would not be likely at all.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Because Buffalo isn't going to give you Krebs and Ostlund. GMKA had to fight GM Kelly McCrimmon tooth and nail to get Krebs thrown in to the Eichel deal. Krebs played most of the season, prior to last year, between Buffalo and the AHL and last year was his first real season in the NHL. Due to Buffalo's roster makeup he was stuck playing with mostly guys like Okposo and Girgensons. Adams will not give Krebs up already and calling him a 4th liner is comical.

This year he'll probably get some burn with Mittelstadt and Greenway on the third line.

You may get Ostlund and another high pick plus someone like Jokiharju or Olofsson. Brett Pesce as good as he is, is not going to get the return you think he is with his age and asked term.

Last edited:

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Because Buffalo isn't going to give you Krebs and Ostlund.
Carolina wont take three futures that are likely 2+ years away for an impact defenseman with an obvious trade market.

Pesce hits a lot of boxes for a LOT of teams
Prime age
Prime position
Year left at a really good price
Potential for longer term extension (and chance to get it done before the potentially large cap jump in a year or two)

Carolina is a team that is trying to take one last jump to become a Stanley Cup team. They will want a mix of futures and impact players.

Krebs is a bottom six player with a chance to be a middle six center, and Ostlund is a good B/B+ prospect. As a SABRES fan, that's a tough price to pay, but I'd gladly deal it to BEAT other teams who would want Pesce as well. The Sabres need another impact defenseman to finally break the dought.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pesce at 6x6 has a lot of value. I wouldn't want to trade the 13th overall until I knew who might be on the board.

I think that JJP has more value than Krebs. Maybe. Would do JJP or Krebs+2024 2nd for Pesce (signed 6x6 extension).

I've got this notion of NHL arrivals, Savoie in 23, Kulich 24, Rosen 25, Ostlund 26. Ostlund maybe a crucial cost controlled center the Sabres could use when we are a cap team. Not eager to move him.
If he would sign 6x6 I would hope the Canes would just keep him.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

These offers keep getting worse for Carolina.

Reactions: DaveG

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Sounds more like the return that would be rumoured in an Eklund trade lmao. I would be down for Pesce but its gonna be more than that for sure.
This has been mentioned many times on this board but I will again. No where does he say it would be those players. What they do say is those players need to be moved to make Salary work.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This has been mentioned many times on this board but I will again. No where does he say it would be those players. What they do say is those players need to be moved to make Salary work.
I know, that's why I was joking about Eklund. It's not something Dreger did or would say.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I don't think team's that are willing to give up good roster players are the ones Pesce will be willing to sign a long term deal with(fringe playoff teams or worse). Especially if the cap does go up significantly next summer.
Might get an Ekholm return(cap dump and two late 1sts or equivalent)

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
This is a literally what the rest of the world thinks conversations between Rutherford and Allvin sound like.
But the Canucks arent rebuilding though, if you look at what they have done this season and last season. They are retooling and reshuffling players, buying out OEL to have cap space to sign new players. Not sure whats hard to understand lol.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Lebrun saying an extension looks more likely.

"The Hurricanes and the camp of defenseman Brett Pesce (No. 18) have been working on a deal in recent days, and it’s looking more likely he gets extended. There are plenty of teams calling on the 2024 UFA defenseman, including Buffalo, and he could still be moved if middle ground isn’t reached."

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

"The Hurricanes and the camp of defenseman Brett Pesce (No. 18) have been working on a deal in recent days, and it’s looking more likely he gets extended. There are plenty of teams calling on the 2024 UFA defenseman, including Buffalo, and he could still be moved if middle ground isn’t reached."

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Has there been even a peep on Skjei? I'm guessing the Borg is prioritizing resolving Pesce first. I wonder if that might have an impact on Skjei's perception of how he's valued by the organization if Pesce falls through?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

He's getting extended unless he's asking for something crazy. Both sides obviously prefer the status quo.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Has there been even a peep on Skjei? I'm guessing the Borg is prioritizing resolving Pesce first. I wonder if that might have an impact on Skjei's perception of how he's valued by the organization if Pesce falls through?
Skjei’s got a M-NTC though so sliiightly different scenario there as he holds some more cards there compared to Pesce. For all we know talks are happening or maybe not but I think it makes sense to handle the Pesce situation first.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Skjei’s got a M-NTC though so sliiightly different scenario there as he holds some more cards there compared to Pesce. For all we know talks are happening or maybe not but I think it makes sense to handle the Pesce situation first.

I feel as if the Canes are more comfortable with own-rentaling Skjei than Pesce considering the Nikishin card that the Canes hold in their hand. If there's any defenseman that's going to get a major UFA overpay in 2024, it's Skjei.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad