TSN: Canes trying to extend Pesce this summer but will trade him if no agreement; Sabres & Oilers are interested

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
As mentioned, I think the value would vary based on Pesce coming with an extension that is agreeable to Buffalo. The tricky thing is that is would have to be at a number/term that is too high for Carolina to want to just keep him, but not so high that Buffalo doesn't like the deal.
I think your logic is sound re:extension, which is why it's probably in Buffalo's best interest to trade for Pesce without an agreed extension, and then trust the culture/pairing mates helping that along in-season.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
For an extended Pesce.
Buf: 24 1st (top 5 protected), Rosen, Jokiharju, Olofsson (50 retained), UPL
Carolina: Pesce, 23 2nd, Kotchetkov

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
As mentioned, I think the value would vary based on Pesce coming with an extension that is agreeable to Buffalo. The tricky thing is that is would have to be at a number/term that is too high for Carolina to want to just keep him, but not so high that Buffalo doesn't like the deal.
That's a very good point, wonder what that number would be, has anything rumoured for the canes side?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
two 1sts( one is a 19 year old that just tore up the AHL), a 24 year old RHD former 1st round pick, a 2 million dollar 30 goal scorer is a haul of shit?

You guys are delusional..
"former 1st rounder"...and Yakupov is a former 1OA...doesn't mean shit, mediocre d-man at best (and this is as told by some of your own fans)

"2 million dollar 30 goal scorer" who probably ends up with WAY more GA due to complete lack of defensive game...not at all what we need. Negative value asset.

"tore up the AHL" I mean i'd be interested, but 14G 37PTS is definitely not "tearing up" anything...hell he was 9th on his own team.

And in return you want Pesce, 2nd, & our only G prospect worth a damn and who's signed beyond this year? yea, that's a haul of shit

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Canes fans turned down Nylander, so good luck with some picks, Joki and Olofsson.

I wouldn't be surprised to see fans turn down Quinn at this rate.

Adding UPL and Kotcheckov+2nd was cheeky though lol.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Canes fans turned down Nylander, so good luck with some picks, Joki and Olofsson.

I wouldn't even trade Rosen for him -- Canes will get less than they did for Skinner, since Skinner was far better. Which was Cliff Pu and a bunch of non-1st round picks.

The equivalent is Kisakov, 2nd, 3rd and 6th. But that was Skinner, so the Canes will get less -- probably something like Mats Lindgren, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I wouldn't even trade Rosen for him -- Canes will get less than they did for Skinner, since Skinner was far better. Which was Cliff Pu and a bunch of non-1st round picks.

The equivalent is Kisakov, 2nd, 3rd and 6th. But that was Skinner, so the Canes will get less -- probably something like Mats Lindgren, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Wait, who are we talking about here. Pesce?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

I'd be interested in a deal with Pesce - Nylander as the base. I suspect a deciding factor from the perspective of the Canes front office would be if either would sign an extension that the front office thinks fits the organization.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

When was that? Several years ago when Pesce was younger and had multiple years left on a sweetheart deal? Very different circumstances now. I don’t think you’d find too many canes fans saying no to that offer at the moment.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
two 1sts( one is a 19 year old that just tore up the AHL), a 24 year old RHD former 1st round pick, a 2 million dollar 30 goal scorer is a haul of shit?

You guys are delusional..
You’re the delusional one of you think a bunch of spare parts would get you Pesce + Kochetkov and a 2nd.

We don’t want Joker or Olafsson. Adding them into a package to make it seem like it’s good value is just lying to yourself. This is a package you give a rebuilding team that needs to restock the cupboard. This ain’t it if you want quality pieces from Carolina.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

You really can’t see the difference? Realllllly?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What did Ristolainen cost? 1st + 2nd + Hagg

What did Trouba cost? 1st + Pionk

Both RDs with 1yr left of their deals. Notice a common theme here?

Pesce is certainly better than Ristolainen. Trouba probably held more value at the time, but knowing he would only sign in NYR, the Jets still got value for him.

If Pesce is traded, I think the Canes can expect a 1st + plug in D, maybe more with an extension.

$4M for 1yr of Pesce is a friggin steal.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

I dunno. Canes got Kotchetkov with one of the picks the Sabres sent them.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

lol the jokes are getting good on this site lately

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Canes fans turned down Nylander
What, back when Nylander was fighting with the Leafs over his contract? No we didn't. We agreed to Nylander for Pesce, it was Leafs fans who wanted Pesce+ because they were afraid of Larsson for Hall 2.0.

Two things:
1) Skinner had an NMC and wanted to return to the Toronto area- he only allowed a trade to Buffalo or to Toronto. Toronto didn't have the cap space and also didn't need scoring. Buffalo was the only option.
2) The Hurricanes decided that Skinner would not be on their 2018-2019 roster when they moved up in the draft lottery and nabbed Svechnikov. They viewed Skinner as a middle-6 guy who needed to be babysat, and once they learned they were getting the 18 year old Svech, they decided they only wanted one of those. And they went with the guy who had a future with the team.

Buffalo called the Hurricanes' bluff and waited them out. I may or may not agree with the singlemindedness of getting Skinner off the roster, but that's why his return was literal Pu.

This doesn't apply to Pesce. He has no NTC/NMC that I can find, for one. For two he fits on the roster, this is about the Canes weighing using Pesce as an "own rental" vs letting him walk for nothing if they can't reach a deal. Carolina has done both before.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What did Ristolainen cost? 1st + 2nd + Hagg

What did Trouba cost? 1st + Pionk

Both RDs with 1yr left of their deals. Notice a common theme here?

Pesce is certainly better than Ristolainen. Trouba probably held more value at the time, but knowing he would only sign in NYR, the Jets still got value for him.

If Pesce is traded, I think the Canes can expect a 1st + plug in D, maybe more with an extension.

$4M for 1yr of Pesce is a friggin steal.
Citing a Chuck Fletcher trade 🤣

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad